Cool Fangraphs article on Hyde

interloper

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/brandon-hyde-a-day-in-the-life-of-a-big-league-manager/

“Putting the lineup together… I get information from our analytics department — I get it from [Assistant General Manager, Analytics] Sig Mejdal — and there will be a lot more of it as we go along. We’re still kind of bare bones, because there wasn’t [an analytics department] before. Sig is basically starting from scratch.

“I have daily conversations with [Executive Vice President and General Manager] Mike Elias. We usually talk multiple times a day, so some of them are basically check-ins. Mike isn’t on this trip, so I texted him this morning, and we’ll talk after the game. We talked after the game last night. It’s a real small front office here, so it’s mainly me and him talking about our club, talking about the game.

" Another thing I’ve done is try to be as honest as I can when answering the questions. I think that’s important."

This is so refreshing from Hyde and why I respect him a lot. When Flores made that bad send, Hyde said, "I bet this one Jose would like to have back."

In the past, Buck would have turned it around on the media and made them act like it was a dumb question, and then he would have made some excuse about being aggressive and blah, blah, blah. 

Hyde o the other hand did not throw his third base coach under the bus but did suggest that the Flores might have made a bad send. Guess what, it's ok to admit when you or someone on the team, including coaches makes a mistake. No one is perfect.

Other than when he's had to tiptoe around the Davis situation, Hyde has been pretty straight forward from what I've seen. I like that a lot.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

tenor.gif?itemid=9591328

Yeah finally. I've had no real complaints about how Hyde's handled the lineup so far, all things considered. He tried out Mullins at leadoff, that obviously wasn't working, so he pivoted quickly. Villar is fine up there. Mixing in Ruiz and Alberto. Benching Davis here and there. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

A great read.  I have to wonder, after reading that, what Buck's routine was like.  I'm not saying Hyde is better, I'm just wondering what the main differences are. 

Would be fascinating. I like that Hyde is honest that he's new at it. Mentions "getting better" with media. That's adorable. And relatable. Tries to talk to every guy each day. Is up front about stuff like getting data from Sig. It's refreshing. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I like Hyde a lot so far.  I hope that he gets a chance to manage the team when they're up and running with good talent and looking to contend.

They've done a good job of setting the expectations and talking about this rebuild, IMO. It's a much chiller experience witnessing the Orioles this year, despite the fact that they suck. You know? Everyone's on the same page, except for the super casual fan who is probably still mad about Manny. 

In that way, it doesn't feel like a 100-loss season will have any impact whatsoever on Hyde, or my feelings about the guy. When the talent starts to arrive? Sure, then we can kick the scrutiny up a notch and see how he fares with some ego in the clubhouse, etc. For now, it's all gravy mannnnn

I really am not trying to be snide, but it seems like even the most analytically optimized lineup of ours is still more or less likely to lose on any given night. 

I wonder if Hyde (and the organization) views his job differently....down to the construction of the daily lineup...because of that?

That is a great article that reflects the new refreshing openness and frankness from both our manager and GM.

35 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I really am not trying to be snide, but it seems like even the most analytically optimized lineup of ours is still more or less likely to lose on any given night. 

I wonder if Hyde (and the organization) views his job differently....down to the construction of the daily lineup...because of that?

That is a great article that reflects the new refreshing openness and frankness from both our manager and GM.

I don't think analytics are going to give us any specific advantage over anyone else.  It's just putting us on a more level playing field since most other teams already have a modern analytics department. 

We still need need much better talent to overcome our deficiencies.  Right now we have 5-6 players in our lineup on any given night that should probably be in Triple A or at best, at the end of a Major League bench. 

Archived