Two fresh arms available for Friday

wildcard

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

They will probably sign Kimbrel.

MLBTR says most likely not sign Kimbrel:

the minds of all Braves fans are zeroed in on one name: free-agent Craig Kimbrel. However, both Bowman and Burns suggest that a match between Kimbrel and the Braves remains unlikely, as the team isn’t keen on inking its former closer to a multi-year pact. Cognizant of upcoming restrictions on their international spending abilities, the Braves are apparently also placing an extra emphasis on the draft pick they’d forfeit to sign Kimbrel.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

MLBTR says most likely not sign Kimbrel:

They arlready have two draft picks for not signing their first round this year so i wouldn't think it would be  a huge to give up one of the two first rounders.  They will still have a top ten pick.

9 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

They arlready have two draft picks for not signing their first round this year so i wouldn't think it would be  a huge to give up one of the two first rounders.  They will still have a top ten pick.

The writer explained that the Braves are not wanting to give him a multi-year deal, so to me, that sounds like a deal breaker

6 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Braves closer out for the year. Trade Givens for a pitching prospect and bring up Ramirez.

This is not accurate at all.  Minter was going to take over and they are still in discussions with Kimbrel, not to mention their plethora of young pitchers who could fill in.

5 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

This is not accurate at all.  Minter was going to take over and they are still in discussions with Kimbrel, not to mention their plethora of young pitchers who could fill in.

According to MLBTR:

A three-year deal, per Burns, “is a commitment the Braves won’t make.”

Which Kimbrel is asking for a 3 year deal.

16 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Not accurate? Their closer is out for the year. That's a fact. The rest was my suggestion. 

2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I believe he has the 4th option rule available on Castro.  

You are right.  He has a 4th option through 2019.

• A player may be eligible for a fourth option year if he has been optioned in three seasons but does not yet have five full seasons of professional experience. A full season is defined as being on an active pro roster for at least 90 days in a season. The 90-day requirement means short-season leagues (New-York Penn, Northwest, Pioneer, Appalachian, Gulf Coast, Arizona Rookie, Dominican and Venezuelan Summer Leagues) do not count as full seasons for the purposes of determining eligibility for a fourth option.

( Castro first spent 90 days in a season in 2015 so five seasons include 2019)

10 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

No.  Vizcayano was a placeholder.  AJ Minter was the closer and needed to get healthy. 

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/a-j-minter-ready-to-take-over-closing-role/

That was from February. This is from MLBTR today:

After losing closer Arodys Vizcaino to season-ending shoulder surgery Wednesday, Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos unsurprisingly acknowledged that his club will consider multiple avenues to improving what was already a struggling relief corps (links via MLB.com’s Mark Bowman and Gabe Burns of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution). Atlanta, per Anthopoulos, is going to look to “do what we can … both internally and externally.”

17 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

That was from February. This is from MLBTR today:

After losing closer Arodys Vizcaino to season-ending shoulder surgery Wednesday, Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos unsurprisingly acknowledged that his club will consider multiple avenues to improving what was already a struggling relief corps (links via MLB.com’s Mark Bowman and Gabe Burns of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution). Atlanta, per Anthopoulos, is going to look to “do what we can … both internally and externally.”

Sounds like a good basis for a trade.  I think your suggestion is fine but I wonder ehat we could get.  The previous leadership was quite hesitant to trade Givens despite a lot of interest.  I wonder if you cant get more with more teams involved.

1 minute ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Sounds like a good basis for a trade.  I think your suggestion is fine but I wonder ehat we could get.  The previous leadership was quite hesitant to trade Givens despite a lot of interest.  I wonder if you cant get more with more teams involved.

Last season the Braves wouldn't give up any of their top pitching prospects for Gausman, so the deal became more about money. 

This off-season, Braves ownership refused to spend money on free agents while the Phillies loaded up. I could be wrong, but I don't think they will spend on Kimbrel.

I doubt we could get what we'd want for Givens, but the Braves have to figure what they are willing to do to compete in a tough division. It's worth exploring.

Archived