Positivity lifts the O's

wildcard

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the positivity in the world will not turn Davis and Rickard into good major league players or the Orioles into a good major league team. It does look like Smith has nugget potential, and I like Severino as well. We still need talent to win. Last night was just an example of the whole lineup taking advantage of bad pitching (just like when we got crushed the night before, bad pitching is contagious).

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't know about that.   The pitching could be about ready to take a turn for the better.

Cashner, Cobb, Bundy, Means and Straily  could form a good rotation

Givens, Fry, Phillips, Hess, Yacabonis,  Ramirez and Scott could be pretty solid.

Bleier and Karns are on the mend.

I am not counting the pitching out just yet.

I'm all for positivity, but the pitching is going to have to turn about 50 corners just to catch the next worst pitching staff in baseball. #reality

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

" If you think you can do it, you can do it."   -   Don Long

The O's as a group are living those words.

Mancini, Nunez, Villar and Smith has been the O's offense.  Now Davis, Rickard and Severino are joining them to build a deeper offensive group.

Cashner is tied with 4 others for the most wins in Baseball.   He is becoming a leader on this pitching staff.

“I think CD is feeling more confident,” Hyde said. “He’s feeling more comfortable. Kind of letting the game happen now instead of forcing the issue. Great to see.”

"I like Joey's game."   - Hyde

Well, the O's are beginning to think they can do.  Can the positivity turn their season around?  

Before their nice win last night, the Orioles were 4-15 in their last 19 games and 1-7 in their last 8.

Are you suggesting that last night's win suddenly has made they team think they can win? 

I think the players go into every game thinking they can win, they are competitors.

This team has a lack of major league talent. They can be as positive as they want, but it's not going to make them win more games. This is why having a new coaching staff with guys who don't have a ton of major league coaching experience helps. They are glad to be here and it's easier to keep things positive. That's a good thing, but it's not going to change the fortunes of this club by seasons end. 

I think the best outcome for this season is if they can lose less than 100, but still have the worse overall record in baseball so they get that first pick in 2020.

Well we finally got a young guy mentioned on a MLB article.....

7) John Means, Orioles, LHP (6 games, 1.72 ERA): This is an evaluation season for Baltimore’s new brain trust, and they appear to have found a keeper in this 25-year-old, who was an 11th-round Draft pick in 2014 out of West Virginia and possesses a solid fastball-changeup combination. Whether his long-term future is as a starter or reliever remains to be seen.

https://www.mlb.com/news/unheralded-rookies-off-to-hot-start-in-2019

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

"If you think you can do it, you can do it."   -   Don Long

The Orioles as a group are living those words.

Mancini, Nunez, Villar and Smith has been the Orioles' offense. Now Davis, Rickard and Severino are joining them to build a deeper offensive group.

Cashner is tied with 4 others for the most wins in MLB. He is becoming a leader on this pitching staff.

I think that Chris Davis is feeling more confident, Hyde said. Hes feeling more comfortable. He's kind of letting the game happen now, instead of forcing the issue. It's great to see.

"I like Joey's game."  - Brandon Hyde

Well, the Orioles are beginning to think that they can do. Can the positivity turn their season around ???  

o

This is the first time since (at least) the beginning of the 2012 season that the team has not been expected to succeed by anyone. I believe the fact that they essentially have no pressure on them helps them, in that they are essentially playing with house money. 

o

So far, I've enjoyed watching this team hit and field much more than I thought I would. Watching the pitching has not been much fun, and I can't find a reason to expect it to improve much this season.

I do wonder whether having guys with speed and a positive attitude has resulted in the high number of baserunning mistakes and outs made on the bases. Those things drive me crazy. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not going to further sully this positive thread with negative thoughts.    Let’s just say we’re on a one-game winning streak.   

Mancini is on a 6-game hitting streak which is somewhat misleading because there have only been 4 games out of the 25 this season when he hasn't had a hit.  Positivity rocks!

30 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Before their nice win last night, the Orioles were 4-15 in their last 19 games and 1-7 in their last 8.

Are you suggesting that last night's win suddenly has made they team think they can win? 

I think the players go into every game thinking they can win, they are competitors.

This team has a lack of major league talent. They can be as positive as they want, but it's not going to make them win more games. This is why having a new coaching staff with guys who don't have a ton of major league coaching experience helps. They are glad to be here and it's easier to keep things positive. That's a good thing, but it's not going to change the fortunes of this club by seasons end. 

I think the best outcome for this season is if they can lose less than 100, but still have the worse overall record in baseball so they get that first pick in 2020.

True

On the nights when the pitching is decent, this is definitely a fun team to watch. Some of the defenders are capable of making really nice plays, some of the players can run, and there's enough offense right now to make some fun things happen. I'm definitely going to try to enjoy games like last night's game as much as possible. This is definitely a more fun team than last year's sleep walking O's. 

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

What's been fun, though, is that some of the major league talent they DO possess is playing really well in an admittedly small sample. (Mancini, Nunez, Villar, Cashner, Davis of late). Some others, of course, have not. (Givens, Cobb, Castro, Bundy). 

And then you have some guys who are showing that they can perhaps become major league talent in varying degrees. (Smith, Means, Fry, Ruiz). 

So all in all, I would say the team got younger but still has some interesting talent. They're a better team than last year, IMO, and will only get better as Elias mixes in the top minor league guys. And if a few on-the-margin guys like Means and Ruiz become MLers? That's a pretty successful season. 

Cobb is holding the team back right now. He's going to play hurt all year and that's not going to be fun. Givens needs to step up. Castro needs to get his armslot corrected. Scott needs to finally become a guy. Bundy, I don't know at this point. 

Archived