2019 ST Position Player Cuts: Where are they now?

interloper

Thought it might be fun to do a quick check-in on all of the position players that were cut from the ST roster and didn't crack the 25-man roster. Displaying OPS only. 

• ?Ryan Mountcastle, 1B (AAA): .808 with 4 homers. He's hot, but the OPS should be higher with that many home runs. It's because his OBP is .314. 

• ?Austin Wynns, C (AAA): .804 is a nice start in limited post-injury ABs.

• ?Christopher Bostick, 2B (AAA): .757 with a homer. 

• ?DJ Stewart, RF (AAA): .721 with 3 homers. 14:13 K:BB good for a .341 OBP. However, just a .211 AVG. Not really sure what to make of that, so I'll give him a tentative thumbs up. 

• ?Austin Hays, CF (AAA): Still on the shelf with a thumb injury but progressing and should be back relatively soon.

• ❄️Anthony Santander, LF (AAA): .626 with a homer.

• ❄️Jace Peterson, 3B (AAA): .593 with a homer. 

• ❄️Jack Reinheimer, SS (AAA): .456.

• ❄️Zach Vincej, SS (AAA): .543.

• ❄️Yusniel Diaz, RF (AA): .651 with a homer. Sigh. 

• ❄️Ryan McKenna, CF (AA): .563 with a homer. Sigggghhhhh.

• :confused: Chance Sisco, C (AAA): .495, 21:4 K:BB, and he hasn't thrown out runners so far. SIGHHHHHHH

• ⛄Martin Cervenka, C (AA): .385. 

• ⛄Carlos Perez, C (AAA-AA): .269 between Norfolk and Bowie. 

I think that's all the hitters. Good lord. So far it seems to me like the O's basically made all the right decisions. DJ Stewart looked like he was deserving of a look about a week ago, but it seems like he's cooled off. I think he's got the right approach though, so I'm confident his numbers come around. I certainly don't want any part of Diaz until he murders AA and can at least hang at AAA. Wynns, it's too early to really say. He's a guy we already know can be a decent backup catcher at the ML level. Mountcastle, I'd like to see the OBP come up a bit and to continue to do well for longer. No real room for him anyway right now. Satander is a few good games away from looking decent, but he's not doing much. Sisco is just a complete mess and it's all very strange. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, interloper said:

That kid might be Davis-level messed up in the mental/confidence department. He looks like freaking Joe Mauer in ST every year though. 

In ST pitchers are mostly working on FB command. He can hit a FB

He can't hit a curve ball even really bad hangers in the middle of the plate.

Chance Sisco is not a prospect. 

I should note the sample is still pretty small. No more than about 85 PA for the full time players at this time. That said, absolutely no one is beating down the door to the ML right now with possible exception of Mountcastle if he keeps it up. There's no obvious guy where you can say "WHY ISN'T HE ON THE 25-MAN?!!?!" 

And that, I think, could show that Elias and Co. know how to evaluate their guys, something I'm not sure the O's have been particularly good at over the years. Perhaps it's not just about service time after all. These guys just aren't ready/able to hang yet. 

I agree with the folks who say this shows good judgement from the decision makers.

I’m more interested in Sewart’s Average. If he’s only hitting .211 against minor leaguers, he can’t be expected to do better against top pitchers.

Sisco’s awful K rate from last year has traveled with him to Norfolk. Glad the Bosses picked up Severino/Sucre. Imagine where we’d be without them.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I agree with the folks who say this shows good judgement from the decision makers.

I’m more interested in Sewart’s Average. If he’s only hitting .211 against minor leaguers, he can’t be expected to do better against top pitchers.

Sisco’s awful K rate from last year has traveled with him to Norfolk. Glad the Bosses picked up Severino/Sucre. Imagine where we’d be without them.

I think his good OBP and 3 homers maybe shows it's just an early slump that has sapped his AVG. A couple of multi-hit games and it's looking a little more normal. But yeah, he's not lighting it up at the moment. 

Sisco seems to be going backwards.   In 2017, he hit a respectable .271/.346/.414 at Norfolk.   As is fairly typical, he fared much better on the road (.835 OPS) than at home (.684).

He broke camp with the big club last year but eventually was sent down and hit .242/.344/.352 there.    This time, his splits reversed, .740 at home but only .665 on the road.

His current  .190/.254/.241 is far below either 2017 or 2018.    He’s been respectable at home (.699 OPS) but just abysmal on the road (.249).

You have to wonder if he’s sulking. He hit 1.298 OPS this spring, looked like he’d made the team with Wynns out with his oblique injury, then got the rug pulled out from under him when the O’s claimed Severino five days before the season opened.    If that’s the explanation, that doesn’t speak very well of him.    Whatever the explanation, he isn’t getting out of Norfolk unless he hits well and continues working on his defense.  

Couple of notes on the pitching side: 

Cody Carroll should be coming back from injury pretty soon.

Harvey just had a decent game, but his ERA is still high for the moment. Healthy though! 

Luis Ortiz is not good.

Yefry Ramirez sported a 0.00 for awhile but that ended in his last game as he coughed up 4 runs. 

Chris Lee has a 4.22 in 10+ innings.

Sean Gilmartin hanging in there with a 3.77.

Luis Gonzalez has been absolutely shelled.

Zach Pop off to a good start (0.96) in AA. 

Kremer still rehabbing an oblique I believe. 

Dillon Tate has been knocked around in AA (7.45).

1 hour ago, interloper said:

That kid might be Davis-level messed up in the mental/confidence department. He looks like freaking Joe Mauer in ST every year though. 

I think the knock on him since day 1, they always thought he would be better off, anywhere but Catcher.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

I think the knock on him since day 1, they always thought he would be better off, anywhere but Catcher.

I sorta wonder if they just remove the whole **CATCHING** thing from his plate if that might help him. He seems pretty athletic, maybe he's better off at 1B or COF. I know we have a lot of those guys but it's all about getting the most out of the player. Maybe catching is just too much of a drain on him between working on his throwing mechanics, learning to call a game, learning to be more vocal, all that stuff. 

Just now, interloper said:

I sorta wonder if they just remove the whole **CATCHING** thing from his plate if that might help him. He seems pretty athletic, maybe he's better off at 1B or COF. I know we have a lot of those guys but it's all about getting the most out of the player. Maybe catching is just too much of a drain on him between working on his throwing mechanics, learning to call a game, learning to be more vocal, all that stuff. 

True, but we had something similar with Caleb Joseph, in the minors they were playing him everywhere but catcher and somebody high up in the org questioned why and they said the boy cant play the catcher position. They was reminded that the job of the minors was to develop the prospects, and they actually did a big improvement with Caleb.

With that said, I dont think they are able to get the same results out of Sisco.

I think all this shows is that current regime has their work cut out for them to replenish this farm. DD and co. always preached that their system was criminally underrated but looking objectively, I don't think that's the case. I will say that the lower minors have some really good young guys which is more helpful during a rebuild. I think at least one of Mountcastle, Hays and Diaz will be an above average regular but beyond that, the upper levels of our system is lacking. Bad. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Couple of notes on the pitching side: 

Cody Carroll should be coming back from injury pretty soon.

Harvey just had a decent game, but his ERA is still high for the moment. Healthy though! 

Luis Ortiz is not good.

Yefry Ramirez sported a 0.00 for awhile but that ended in his last game as he coughed up 4 runs. 

Chris Lee has a 4.22 in 10+ innings.

Sean Gilmartin hanging in there with a 3.77.

Luis Gonzalez has been absolutely shelled.

Zach Pop off to a good start (0.96) in AA. 

Kremer still rehabbing an oblique I believe. 

Dillon Tate has been knocked around in AA (7.45).

The pitching interests me. I have been down on Chris Lee forever, but if he’s doing well, I will be very happy. Ortiz and Tate have taught me that you should never trade for a top draft pick that has already been traded twice, because it means that there’s probably something wrong. I may be leaning towards the pessimist side but I don’t think either of them is every going to be productive.

Carroll was blasted last year. Hope he’s better.

Kremer needs to heal ASAP.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

The pitching interests me. I have been down on Chris Lee forever, but if he’s doing well, I will be very happy. Ortiz and Tate have taught me that you should never trade for a top draft pick that has already been traded twice, because it means that there’s probably something wrong. I may be leaning towards the pessimist side but I don’t think either of them is every going to be productive.

Carroll was blasted last year. Hope he’s better.

Kremer needs to heal ASAP.

It sort of feels like we're just waiting for both Hays and Kremer to get healthy because no one else is really doing much in the top levels of the farm. But there's also no guarantee these two do well out of the gate.

Tate and Ortiz just seem like two more Orioles type pitching prospects, even though we didn't draft them. I'm not sure what the appeal of Ortiz is even a little bit. Every time I see him, his stuff looks completely average, or worse. Tate I'm not high on either, but he feels like a guy we can help maybe.

Archived