Tanner Scott: Why isn't he at Norfolk?

interloper

3 hours ago, interloper said:

I'm still not seeing a compelling reason why he shouldn't be getting some more seasoning at AAA. There are plenty of lesser arms we can use in our quest to simultaneously tank and develop prospects properly. 

I don't see any compelling evidence that more time in AAA will be better for his development than pitching in the majors.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see any compelling evidence that more time in AAA will be better for his development than pitching in the majors.

Not trying to be a smart***, but that statement is meaningless. What would be “compelling evidence”? Mediocre performance? An inability to throw strikes? I’m not advocating to send Tanner down, but that statement is meaningless. 

6 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Not trying to be a smart***, but that statement is meaningless. What would be “compelling evidence”? Mediocre performance? An inability to throw strikes? I’m not advocating to send Tanner down, but that statement is meaningless. 

Funny since it was a play on Interloper saying "I'm still not seeing a compelling reason why he shouldn't be getting some more seasoning at AAA.".

If one is meaningless why isn't the other?

I don't think it makes two shakes of a dogs tail worth of difference to Scott's development if he is in AAA or pitching for a AAA team in the majors.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Funny since it was a play on Interloper saying "I'm still not seeing a compelling reason why he shouldn't be getting some more seasoning at AAA.".

I don't think it makes two shakes of a dogs tail worth of difference to Scott's development if he is in AAA or pitching for a AAA team in the majors.

I apologize. I misunderstood. An unsupported opinion by you was weird to see. I should have realized you were fencing. 

Ps. I basically agree with you about Scott. He’s always going to be wild. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well he can't get anybody out at this level so that's one reason. Another awful outing tonight.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hard disagree. He needs to work on his command at AAA. And if he can't command at AAA he's not going to have success at this level. So leave him there until he does or until it's clear he's a career minor leaguer.

If Scott can be bad down there as  easily as being bad up here, where he is is not relevant. But the spot he has certainly is. He’s a known quantity and there’s no reason not to bring a new guy up and give him a whirl. Is Gilmartin still around? Carroll still injured? Anybody at Bowie? I don’t think Scott is one of the seven best relievers in the system at this time, but if he is he might as well stay up.

9 hours ago, interloper said:

Hard disagree. He needs to work on his command at AAA. And if he can't command at AAA he's not going to have success at this level. So leave him there until he does or until it's clear he's a career minor leaguer.

Agree to disagree.  He needs to improve his command.  He can do that at either level.  If the MLB team needs him to eat some innings in a lost season so be it.  I don't see why the rest of the pitchers should be put under additional stress to protect him.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Agree to disagree.  He needs to improve his command.  He can do that at either level.  If the MLB team needs him to eat some innings in a lost season so be it.  I don't see why the rest of the pitchers should be put under additional stress to protect him.

They're under additional stress while he's here. Because when he comes into a game, like last night, and retires precisely nobody, now Hyde has to go and use someone else, and his young team is further demoralized as their chances of winning a game slip yet again. I'm fine if he's a a kind of 5 ERA guy that strikes people out on a good day. That works for this team. But until he can even do that, you might as well get looks at other guys and see what you have.

I agree that Scott pretty much is what he is whether he's in AAA or ML, and that is, unfortunately, a guy who is not very good despite a nice fastball. 

I'm sure Severino's nuts are happy he's back in AAA. ?

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

They're under additional stress while he's here. Because when he comes into a game, like last night, and retires precisely nobody, now Hyde has to go and use someone else, and his young team is further demoralized as their chances of winning a game slip yet again. I'm fine if he's a a kind of 5 ERA guy that strikes people out on a good day. That works for this team. But until he can even do that, you might as well get looks at other guys and see what you have.

I agree that Scott pretty much is what he is whether he's in AAA or ML, and that is, unfortunately, a guy who is not very good despite a nice fastball. 

I'm sure Severino's nuts are happy he's back in AAA?

I have little sympathy for a catcher that can't protect himself back there.

BTW Scott has a wipeout slider on occasion, it isn't as if he's a one trick pony.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I have little sympathy for a catcher that can't protect himself back there.

BTW Scott has a wipeout slider on occasion, it isn't as if he's a one trick pony.

And on the other occasions, it's in the seats. Or it's buried in the dirt. Or it's going to the backstop. And it's not even like his other one trick, the fastball, is that great. He rarely gets it above 96 these days in an apparent effort to gain more command, which hasn't really worked. 

But by all means, continue to argue on behalf of Scott for some reason. If you think he's got a future here, I would think you'd want him to pitch more and figure it out at AAA. It's less about ML hitters vs. AAA hitters and more about just figuring out his command in a low-stress environment where he can pitch more often. 

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think he's really going to improve very much. I think he will have streaks of success here and there and the O's will have to get lucky and ride some of those streaks. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

And on the other occasions, it's in the seats. Or it's buried in the dirt. Or it's going to the backstop. And it's not even like his other one trick, the fastball, is that great. He rarely gets it above 96 these days in an apparent effort to gain more command, which hasn't really worked. 

But by all means, continue to argue on behalf of Scott for some reason. If you think he's got a future here, I would think you'd want him to pitch more and figure it out at AAA. It's less about ML hitters vs. AAA hitters and more about just figuring out his command in a low-stress environment where he can pitch more often. 

Huh?

You are the one suggesting the O's keep him at Norfolk in an attempt to develop him.  I'm the one suggesting they use him as needed.

I don't really buy the low-stress environment argument.   Hard to get less stressful than the 2019 Orioles.

Archived