Tony-OH on Vinny & Haynie (105.7)

OFFNY

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

My opinion is he is kind of just a two pitch pitcher. He has the good fastball and the good split-changeup. Needs a reliable slider. Sometimes the changeup wouldn't do its thing and then he'd get into trouble. 

2 pitch pitchers dont become TOR.

He must have shown more than 2 pitches in college

5 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I get that the Gausman deal was a crappy deal, time will tell if it get a bit better for the Orioles or worse, but at the end of the day, it was a salary dump through and through.

But, at some point, we need to move on.

Everybody involved with that, are gone from the system.

The boys are in charge Elias is here with a plan.

You are right. Time to move on. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

TONY PENTE:)l The long ball is obviously not his friend, as he leads the Majors with 17 of them ceded to opposing batters. 

I’m guessing this is the “Patrick Paraphrase,” not Tony’s actual words, right?    There’s only two people on this board who ever use the word “ceded,” and one of them’s me and other other one is definitely not Tony.  ?

Fantastic summary.   I’d planned to listen but ended up missing it, but this is just about as good!

• Thanks 1

This thread is great cause I can avoid listening to Vinny ?

I will say that it's pretty disappointing for him to say we've got "Mountcastle and not much else" as position players, when still have former top-100 guys Hays, Diaz, and Sisco down there...disappointing because the truth hurts, since they haven't done much at all this year other than Sisco's insane hot streak that seems to have ended. Hopefully they can get themselves back on track.

23 minutes ago, makoman said:

This thread is great, because I can avoid listening to Vinny.  ) ?

I will say that it's pretty disappointing for him to say we've got "Mountcastle and not much else" as position players, when still have former top-100 guys Hays, Diaz, and Sisco down there ........ disappointing because the truth hurts, since they haven't done much at all this year other than Sisco's insane hot streak that seems to have ended.

Hopefully, they can get themselves back on track.

o

Keep in mind that I am paraphrasing ........ hence, a thing or 2 may get lost in translation over the course of the interview(s.

I thought that that was what Tony said, but I wouldn't swear to it.

o

On 5/10/2019 at 12:11 AM, Mendoza Line said:

The Gausman deal wasn't good. But he's not the next Arrieta like a bunch of people were clamoring he was after his hot start post-trade.

He's not some guy that was suffering from poor coaching during his tenure in Baltimore.  The numbers, projections, and results seem to suggest he is what he is.  Basically a number #3 starter.  Yes we should have gotten more, and it was salary dump, but it wasn't like we gave away a CY caliber pitcher for peanuts.

Chris Archer isn't much if any better than Gausman, and they got Glasnow for him. The Orioles wasted if not a great, atleast a good SP in a pitching starved market to save money on O'day.  It was a bad trade no matter how you slice it.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:06 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Please keep in mind that when I post radio interviews of Tony Pente and Roy Firestone, I am paraphrasing ...... subsequently, there may be a thing or two in my transcriptions that may be somewhat amiss.

o

Thanks for everything you do here. You make OH a much better place with your contributions!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

oKeep in mind that I am paraphrasing ........ hence, a thing or 2 may get lost in translation over the course of the interview(s.

I thought that that was what Tony said, but I wouldn't swear to it.o

I didn't listen, but I suspect the question was either about top prospects or about prospects performing well now. I'm guessing he wouldn't think Hays and Diaz are non-prospects at this point.

1 hour ago, Dark Helmet said:

It was a bad trade no matter how you slice it.

I get your point, but it was a great trade financially. The O's saved over $10 million on O'Day. We can act like that's not a big deal, but if it were my money, I'd have probably taken that deal and hoped I could get my own prospects for a much smaller investment.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m guessing this is the “Patrick Paraphrase,” not Tony’s actual words, right?    There’s only two people on this board who ever use the word “ceded,” and one of them’s me and other other one is definitely not Tony.  ?

Fantastic summary.   I’d planned to listen but ended up missing it, but this is just about as good!

Haha, yes, Patrick does a great job of paraphrasing a live interview and I appreciate him doing so, but don't think these are my actual words. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, makoman said:

This thread is great cause I can avoid listening to Vinny ?

I will say that it's pretty disappointing for him to say we've got "Mountcastle and not much else" as position players, when still have former top-100 guys Hays, Diaz, and Sisco down there...disappointing because the truth hurts, since they haven't done much at all this year other than Sisco's insane hot streak that seems to have ended. Hopefully they can get themselves back on track.

Just be clear, I meant not much else close to helping or becoming everyday starters. I would have included Hays but he's been scuffling since coming back from his injury. I still think Diaz has a shot despite his struggles and injury, but Mountcastle is honestly the only impact bat in the system, with Hays probably second when it come to upside.

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I didn't listen, but I suspect the question was either about top prospects or about prospects performing well now. I'm guessing he wouldn't think Hays and Diaz are non-prospects at this point.

I get your point, but it was a great trade financially. The O's saved over $10 million on O'Day. We can act like that's not a big deal, but if it were my money, I'd have probably taken that deal and hoped I could get my own prospects for a much smaller investment.

Nope, I think they are probably the #2 and #3 best hitters in the system behind Mountcastle. I just didn't think they were close to helping right now with their injuries and lack of success so far this season.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Nope, I think they are probably the #2 and #3 best hitters in the system behind Mountcastle. I just didn't think they were close to helping right now with their injuries and lack of success so far this season.

Exactly what I would have guessed! I'm sure you don't get to flesh out every single angle possible while on a few minute radio spot. lol

• 2 months later...