O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

At this point, I'm hoping we get Torkelson. To be more clear, I'd take Tork even if we were picking 1st.

Interesting. It's still early, but I prefer an IF or CF.

I am usually in the camp of select the BPA, but this might be a year to consider going underslot if there is someone we like that we can get for significantly underslot (and we think it will help at 30/39).

1 hour ago, Gatoriole said:

Interesting. It's still early, but I prefer an IF or CF.

I am usually in the camp of select the BPA, but this might be a year to consider going underslot if there is someone we like that we can get for significantly underslot (and we think it will help at 30/39).

Yes, in determining who one would prefer to choose, among equally skilled position players, taking the more difficult fielding position makes sense.  However, if a 1B stands out as the best player, compared to his peers at all other positions, then I feel he should be taken. I've never been a fan of the under-slot strategy. I want difference makers.  Tork, like Rutschman last year, seems like a sure-fire future star.

Tigers will take Tork at #1, especially if Martin continues to scuffle....

Unlike other sports, in Baseball you do not draft for need.   An effective strategy is to stockpile as many talented arms as you can.   Pitching wins championships.   Period.   Many pitchers will be derailed by injury and ineffectiveness, so you need to stockpile the talent here.

Lacy for me.   

9 hours ago, DocJJ said:

Tigers will take Tork at #1, especially if Martin continues to scuffle....

Unlike other sports, in Baseball you do not draft for need.   An effective strategy is to stockpile as many talented arms as you can.   Pitching wins championships.   Period.   Many pitchers will be derailed by injury and ineffectiveness, so you need to stockpile the talent here.

Lacy for me.   

I agree with you that pitching is ultra-important, but don't agree with the implication that we should typically focus on drafting arms over position players. As you yourself said, "Many pitchers will be derailed by injury and ineffectiveness..." So, since position players are far more likely to stay healthy and contribute, focus on drafting the likeliest future assets and then trade from strength to acquire the pitching we need.   

15 hours ago, MountUrCastle said:

Im Gonzales/Lacy at 2

I also want to put Gonzalez over Martin,  but if Martin is available at 2 I think he would be the pick assuming they think he can play somewhere up the middle. I believe he offers significantly more value with the glove. I love me some Nick Gonzalez though and see him as the next Keston Hiura. 

2 hours ago, joelala said:

I also want to put Gonzalez over Martin,  but if Martin is available at 2 I think he would be the pick assuming they think he can play somewhere up the middle. I believe he offers significantly more value with the glove. I love me some Nick Gonzalez though and see him as the next Keston Hiura. 

Experience in other sports has always lead me to prioritize offense over defense- I understand this may not be the case for baseball, but it's what puts Gonzales ahead for me even considering his environment. I'd imagine the reality of the situation is they're both very close.

10 hours ago, MountUrCastle said:

Experience in other sports has always lead me to prioritize offense over defense- I understand this may not be the case for baseball, but it's what puts Gonzales ahead for me even considering his environment. I'd imagine the reality of the situation is they're both very close.

They are close I think, and I would be pumped if we added either player.  

And completely disregarding defense is a dangerous game. 

Heaven help us if this entire season is cancelled. But if it is, I wonder how they'll determine the draft order for 2021? Anyone care to guess? Go by the same draft order for 2020? In that case I guess the Tigers take Kumar Rocker and the Orioles take Nander De Sedas. Of course a lot could change by then.

4 hours ago, hutchead said:

Heaven help us if this entire season is cancelled. But if it is, I wonder how they'll determine the draft order for 2021? Anyone care to guess? Go by the same draft order for 2020? In that case I guess the Tigers take Kumar Rocker and the Orioles take Nander De Sedas. Of course a lot could change by then.

According to BA, Nander De Sedas is a draft eligible sophomore for the 2020 draft.  

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/nander-de-sedas-joins-exceptionally-deep-group-of-2020-mlb-draft-eligible-sophomores/

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2020 at 6:50 AM, hutchead said:

Good question. Just my thoughts...  I imagine that the 2021 draft would go by the same order as a the prior season's draft. So, essentially what you inferred. Tigers at 1, O's at 2, etc.