Adam Dunn

Sports Guy

Right. It compares a player to the league averages in his league. But a 103 OPS+ in the AL doesn't mean the same thing as a 103 OPS+ in the NL or a 103 OPS+ in the International League, etc because the level of competition a player achieved that statistic against differs.

You're really reaching, imo. They're tied - this year - and Teix has played most of this year in the same league as Dunn.

2/3 of one season doesn't tell you which one is better. Teixeira was much better in the past two seasons, and Dunn hasn't been better since 2004.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right. It compares a player to the league averages in his league. But a 103 OPS+ in the AL doesn't mean the same thing as a 103 OPS+ in the NL or a 103 OPS+ in the International League, etc because the level of competition a player achieved that statistic against differs.

Sure it does.

OPS+ = 100 * (OBP/lgOBP* + SLG/lgSLG* -1)

103 OPS+ from a lesser league (NL) will have a higer OBP and SLG compared to the player in the harder league (AL).

A 103 OPS+ in the AL means he is 3 OPS+ points higher than the average AL hitter.

A 103 OPS+ in the NL means he is 3 OPS+ points higher than the average NL hitter.

Sure it does.

103 OPS+ from a lesser league (NL) will have a higer OBP and SLG compared to the player in the harder league (AL).

A 103 OPS+ in the AL means he is 3 OPS+ points higher than the average AL hitter.A 103 OPS+ in the NL means he is 3 OPS+ points higher than the average NL hitter.

I hope you understand that these are the keys.

What Eight said is 100% accurate.

Sure it does.

A 103 OPS+ in the AL means he is 3 OPS+ points higher than the average AL hitter.

A 103 OPS+ in the NL means he is 3 OPS+ points higher than the average NL hitter.

The last part is exactly correct. And since the average AL hitter is better than the average NL hitter, the two numbers are not directly comparable.

2/3 of one season doesn't tell you which one is better. Teixeira was much better in the past two seasons, and Dunn hasn't been better since 2004.

I think you're just picking and choosing whatever fits your conclusion.

I hope you understand that these are the keys.

What Eight said is 100% accurate.

I don't get what he is saying. I think he is trying to say that the AL has both better hitters and both better pitchers. Which doesn't make sense. PLus the NL doesn't have the DH so a pitcher/pinch hitter makes up 11% of the lgSlg and lgOBP. So obviously it is going to have a lower lgSlg and lgOBP than the AL.

The last part is exactly correct. And since the average AL hitter is better than the average NL hitter, the two numbers are not directly comparable.

Where do you draw that conclusion? Because the AL lgSLG and lgOBP is higher than the NL?

The bottom line is Tex is clearly the better all around player...he means more wins, thus he is worth more money.

How much more and for how many more years can be debated but the one thing that isn't a debate is that Tex is a better player and by a decent margin as well.

Also, Tex has a great work ethic...Not sure about Dunn's though.

I'm really not. After last night's games they have the exact same OPS+ as one another this season. Dunn has not been BETTER than Tex since 2004. Dunn is a good hitter, very good even, but he's just not as good as Teixeira right now, and he isn't likely to be in 2009.

The AL lgOBP is .334 and lgSLG is .415

The NL lgOBP is .330 and lgSLG is .412

Remember 11% of the NL lgOBP and LgSLG is filled with pitchers and pitch hitters.

So how is the NL the lesser league?

Well the simplest example is that the AL keeps winning 55%+ of its interleague games every season.

Common sense...Everyone recognizes that the AL is much better...They have better teams, more proven talent, etc...

Right now, its not that close.

lol

It is common sense? I sure don't think there is much of a gap at all.

Archived