Adam Dunn

Sports Guy

Ok guys, let's discuss the possibility of us not signing Tex....Dunn is the next big bat out there...Some have mentioned Burrell but Burrell isn't likely to come here...Some of you may remember that he turned down the idea of coming to BMore in a trade a few years ago.

It is also unlikely we spend the prospects it would take to get Fielder or Howard.

So really, it comes back to Dunn, who has always been rumored to want to go back home in Texas but right now, i am not sure there is a place for him for either the Stros or the Rangers and they need to focus on other aspects of their team anyway.

So, we come back to Dunn...He turns 29 this offseason....I am worried about his old player skills and how he will age but he should still be very good for the next 3-4 years I would think.

First of all, he has shown to be a durable player in his career and that is always undervalued. Secondly, he is usually good for a 380ish OBP and an OPS around 900.

He is going to K a lot and is going to hit 250ish..He is hitting equally well at home as he is on the road, so the Cinci park isn't helping him out a ton.

He has 4 straight 40 homer seasons and, barring injury, will have #5 in a row this year.

He has little to no defensive value unless he can turn himself into an adequate first baseman(i really have no idea how he plays over there to know either way)...I know he has always had a good arm but I still don't think teams will profile him as an everyday OFer as he hits FA.

So, with the K's, the low average, average at best speed and limited defensive value, he will have a much lower price tag than the homers, OBP and OPS say.

So, what contract would you give him? What do you expect him to get?

Should we even pursue him at all?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think many people agree Tex is a special player. If we don't get him, I would say it's not a first baseman we need. Put Huff at 1b, Scott as DH and Reimold in LF. Maybe Montanez could be the 4th OFer.

The FA money could be applied to a 3b, or two decent starting pitchers. We've seen the names on possible pitchers, anyone with any ideas on a potential FA 3B?

If you think this is overpaying, you are going to be in for a shock this offseason.

That is 16 million per I would not think he gets that do you?? I would think 5/70-75 is more likely.

As to your original question If there is no Tex then yes I would be for signing Dunn.

That is 16 million per I would not think he gets that do you?? I would think 5/70-75 is more likely.

As to your original question If there is no Tex then yes I would be for signing Dunn.

I suppose this is possible becuase of some of the strikes against him(no pun intended)...But he certainly should get every penny Carlos Lee got.

I suppose this is possible becuase of some of the strikes against him(no pun intended)...But he certainly should get every penny Carlos Lee got.

Even with the Defensive liability issues? I think lee is a significantly more valuable player.

If Tex already signed somewhere else' date=' I'd be willing to overpay for him, maybe 4 years/ $64[/quote']

I doubt the bidding will be tepid enough for 4/64 to be a possibility... But if you could get him for 4/64 why on earth would anyone wait on Tex considering what he's likely to command?

Do DH get paid as much as positional players? I seem to remember Ortiz and Hafner not getting crazy deals.

Don't forget the premium Lee gets for being a ".300" hitter.

If we don't get Tex, lets just see what the market is for SS's and #2-#4 starters. Forget Dunn.

The FA SS aren't that good outside of Furcal and he is likely to re-sign in LA ans even if he doesn't, he will get too much money for too many years.

If we don't get Tex, lets just see what the market is for SS's and #2-#4 starters. Forget Dunn.

I think the FA market for SS is already known, there really aren't any. AM seems adamant not to spent big money on FA pitchers so I really don't see much happening there.

Archived