Adam Dunn

Sports Guy

Again, Burrell rejected the idea of coming to Baltimore a few years ago...No reason to think he wants to come here now.

At that time, he had the option of remaining in Philly. It wasn't just that he didn't want to be here. He likes it there. If Philly doesn't want him anymore (theoretically, I don't know if they do or don't), he would have to choose somewhere else. I haven't seen any indication he wouldn't want to be in Baltimore.

Now, would he be a good signing? That I don't know.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see a few people state that Teixeira and Dunn's career OPSes are about the same and also state that avg is a meaningless/overrated stat. I have a couple comments about that:

I agree that batting average is overrated if the player bats .300 but is otherwise putting up an OPS around .700-.750.

However, if two players (Tex and Dunn) have about the same career OPS (.908 vs .903) and SLG (.535 vs .522), but one player has a batting avg that is almost 40 points higher (.285 vs .248), that is not meaningless.

I do value walks and wished that the Orioles would have more players that could work the count and draw BB like Markakis and Roberts. But if given the choice between a basehit and a BB, a basehit is usually more valuable when runners are on base. A basehit with a runner on second will usually drive in that run while a BB won't.

For instance, Millar draws a fair number of walks, is a .250ish avg hitter nowadays and his OPS last year was .785. If Millar had hit 12 more hr last year (for a total of 29 hr) instead of making 12 outs, his OPS would have been .908 (.521 slg, .387 obp).

Would Millar with 12 additional hr last year been a big boost to the lineup? I'm guessing no.

Would he have been more valuable than Markakis, who only put up an .848 OPS last year while hitting .300? Again, I would say no. And definitely not if Markakis can get his OPS up to .900 while hitting .300ish.

Don't get me wrong, the 12 extra hr would have been nice, but it's not the same as a .300 hitter who is putting up a .900+ OPS.

I see a few people state that Teixeira and Dunn's career OPSes are about the same and also state that avg is a meaningless/overrated stat. I have a couple comments about that:

I agree that batting average is overrated if the player bats .300 but is otherwise putting up an OPS around .700-.750.

However, if two players (Tex and Dunn) have about the same career OPS (.908 vs .903) and SLG (.535 vs .522), but one player has a batting avg that is almost 40 points higher (.285 vs .248), that is not meaningless.

I do value walks and wished that the Orioles would have more players that could work the count and draw BB like Markakis and Roberts. But if given the choice between a basehit and a BB, a basehit is usually more valuable when runners are on base. A basehit with a runner on second will usually drive in that run while a BB won't.

For instance, Millar draws a fair number of walks, is a .250ish avg hitter nowadays and his OPS last year was .785. If Millar had hit 12 more hr last year (for a total of 29 hr) instead of making 12 outs, his OPS would have been .908 (.521 slg, .387 obp).

Would Millar with 12 additional hr last year been a big boost to the lineup? I'm guessing no.

Would he have been more valuable than Markakis, who only put up an .848 OPS last year while hitting .300? Again, I would say no. And definitely not if Markakis can get his OPS up to .900 while hitting .300ish.

Don't get me wrong, the 12 extra hr would have been nice, but it's not the same as a .300 hitter who is putting up a .900+ OPS.

I think the correlation is that Dunn would be a better investment at $7-$10Mil less per year. If Tex wants ARod money, and settles in at $25mil, Dunn at $16-18 would be a better way to go.

I think the correlation is that Dunn would be a better investment at $7-$10Mil less per year. If Tex wants ARod money, and settles in at $25mil, Dunn at $16-18 would be a better way to go.

Tex isn't getting 25M a year unless he has an amazing playoffs and even then, i am not so sure.

Hell, Boras has already said he wants 23 million a year and we all know he won't get that.

Tex isn't getting 25M a year unless he has an amazing playoffs and even then, i am not so sure.

Hell, Boras has already said he wants 23 million a year and we all know he won't get that.

If he gets $20, where does that leave Dunn? $16-17?

That's a valid point. Otoh, I think it's made up by the fact that Teix has played in hitters' parks and with better lineups. Teix is a better all-around player, but as Fan4Life said, he won't be the value for the bucks that Dunn will be.

No doubt that when 2 players have similar OPS's and OBP's, i would take the guy with the higher BA unless it was an OBP that needed a high BA to be high itself.(say like when Juan Pierre had higher OBP's)

I think you are amalgamating a few ideas. Would Millar's production have been as valuable as Nick's? Probably not. Would Millar's production have been a big boost? Hell yeah.

I do agree though, I'd take the hits over the walks. Nats fans have this argument over Nick Johnson vs Dimitri Young sometimes. Johnson has a walk driven OPS while young is a little better hitter of late. Of course, they both stay hurt. :D

If Millar hit 12 more hrs last year then we could have won 12 more games (81-81) or none (69-93)

I think that would have been a pretty big deal.

Archived