Minor League Game Summaries 6/30/2019

weams

Frederick Keys News Release

For Immediate Release: June 30, 2019

CRAPORT, ESCARRA SLUG DINGERS IN WIN

CRAPORT HITS GRAND SLAM, ESCARRA SMACKS SOLO SHOT

FREDERICK, MD. – A pair of home runs powered the Frederick Keys (5-6, 34-46) to a 5-3 victory over the Wilmington Blue Rocks (6-5, 50-30) on Sunday afternoon at Nymeo Field. Trevor Craport slugged a grand slam while J.C. Escarra hit his eighth home run of the season. The Blue Rocks cut into the lead in the ninth with a two-run home run from Brewer Hicklen and had the tying run on base, but Tim Naughton recorded the final out to seal the win. Sunday’s game marked the final contest between the two teams, with the Blue Rocks taking the season-series 10-6. The Keys conclude the month of June with a 7-21 record.

In his first start since May 25, Cody Sedlock pitched well. The only trouble he faced was in the second after he gave up a pair of walks and a base hit with two outs in the inning. He got a ground-out to finish the inning. The right-hander was limited to just four innings, but he made good work of those, allowing no runs on three hits while walking three and striking out four.

The Keys opened the third inning working several tough at bats. Pat Dorrian drew a walk and Jean Carrillo singled on the ninth pitch of his at bat. Robbie Thorburn followed with a single to load the bases, and Craport cleared them with his fourth home run of the season.

Trailing 4-0, the Blue Rocks struck back in the fourth. With runners at first and second, Colby Schultz hit a soft line drive off Diogenes Almengo into center-field that scored a run to put Wilmington on the scoreboard 4-1. Escarra got the run right back on the solo shot in bottom of the inning to make it 5-1.

Almengo pitched well in relief, lasting three innings. Scott Burke pitched a flawless eighth but allowed the two-run shot to Hicklen in the ninth. After striking out the next two batters, Burke walked a batter and was pulled in favor of Naughton, who was able to get the final out after giving up a free pass. The Blue Rocks left 13 runners on base in Sunday’s contest.

The Keys welcome in the Lynchburg Hillcats for a three-game series starting on Monday, July 1. LHP DL Hall (2-3, 4.25) will start for Frederick opposite RHP Justin Garza (4-5, 4.88) for Lynchburg. First pitch is schedule for 7:00pm with pregame coverage starting at 6:45pm on frederickkeys.com and the Tune In radio app.

The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League’s Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com.

www.FrederickKeys.com-

Attachments area

• Thanks 1

Akron Salvages Series With 5-0 Win

Baysox earn 5-2 homestand to stay near top of Western Division.

BOWIE, Md. -- The Akron RubberDucks salvaged a game from the four-game series, defeating the Bowie Baysox, 5-0, in front of 2,370 in the series finale at Prince George's Stadium Sunday afternoon.

The visiting RubberDucks (5-8) scored first in all four games of the series, with Nellie Rodriguez sending a RBI double to right-center field to put Akron on top in the first inning. Alex Call and Li-Jen Chu recorded RBI two-baggers in the third inning, plating two more runs to increase the early lead to 3-0.

Call continued his hot day at the plate in the fifth inning, smoking a solo home run to left field to give the visitors a 4-0 lead. The long ball was the second of the series and brought the center fielder to within a triple away from achieving the cycle. Chu doubled down the LF line in an identical method to his hit in the third inning to plate the second run of the frame and give Akron a 5-0 lead.

Defensively, Bowie continued to receive strong pitching from the bullpen. RHP Pedro Araujo struck out five batters in three scoreless innings, while LHP Tyler Erwin struck out one of his own. The relief corps has allowed one earned run in the past 28 1/3 innings after the conclusion of Sunday’s game.

The Baysox (9-3) hit the road for the final series of the season against the Hartford Yard Goats before returning to Prince George's Stadium on the fourth of July. LHP Alex Wells (5-1, 1.97 ERA) gets the ball in the first game of July against Hartford RHP Heath Holder (4-2, 1.67 ERA) in a rematch of the June 26 contest in Bowie. 

Veronesi

• Thanks 1