2019 Trade Deadline

sportsfan8703

Just now, Frobby said:

Did I mention your name?    I was referring to an argument about what Schoop would be paid.    Whether he would be non-tendered is another story.    But since you insist, I’ll dredge up what I am referring to.   

If you’re Referring to your discussion with me, I’m not arguing that schoop  was non-tendered, It was my understanding that once a player is non-tendered, A new team is under no obligation to continue his arbitration sequence, and can pay him whatever. That’s why Flaherty was able to sign with the Braves for basically league minimum.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Well it looks like the Astros won, Arizona, Seattle and the Jays won, the Yankees Twins Rangers lose.

Astros have to be WS favorites now.

I’m going to visit pinstripe alley and laugh at the rage and sadness.

laff laff laff

I like what Cleveland did too. They completely revamped their OF. 

11 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Astros paying huge money to  a couple older pitchers.  Greinke is set for 35 million a year next two years.

It will probably be worth it if they manage to win another WS though. Verlander seems to be pitching like he's 20 something. 

I hope they destroy the Yankees in the ALCS.

12 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

You know just once before I kick, I would like to see the Orioles be the team that just does a huge, big, dramatic, unexpected multi team trade deal that just make you go “Man, how is that going to work out?”  We have perhaps had maybe the most conservative (i.e. boring) GMs and ownership in all of sports.   Keeping my fingers crossed for down the road. 

Um, you do know we have new management and he didn't exactly have a great hand to work from at this deadline, right?

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

It will probably be worth it if they manage to win another WS though. Verlander seems to be pitching like he's 20 something. 

I hope they destroy the Yankees in the ALCS.

Yankees-Twins DL series could be some high scoring games. 

Indians can definitely beat NY.  

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

WRONG.    I heard the same type of prediction last year when Schoop was non-tendered.    Then he was signed for $7.5 mm plus incentives.    

Per Fangraphs, Schoop has been worth $11.6 mm in 2/3 of a season this year.    He was worth $16 mm last year.   Their valuation is not the gospel, but you are letting your own dislike of Villar’s style of play color your judgment if you think Villar will be paid $2.5 mm next year.    

Where do you get your figures from? The cost of a win for position players is $5.7 million.  https://community.fangraphs.com/on-war-its-linearity-and-efficient-free-agent-contracts/

Schoop has been a 1.5 WAR player this year and 1.4 WAR player last year so he's basically been an $8.5 million player the last two years.

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I've heard of Martin and Beer, but I'm amazed they were able to hold onto Tucker and Whitley. 

They gave up 3, 4 and 5 in their system along with 22 in Rojas.  Thats a great deal for Diamondbacks.  That was more then they gave up for Verlander imo.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Not impossible someone like Villar could be claimed in August. 

MLB players can't be traded in August.  We could theoretically pass Villar through waivers, and traded him. Pretty sure this is how it works now.  MILB'ers(players not on the 25 or 40?) can be traded and still added to a playoff roster.  Maybe I'm wrong.