I don't want to hear this "chemistry" crap

mikezpen

I don't want to hear it! I'm not interested.

All "chemistry" means is that the veterans on this team are happy because they are playing full-time. The rest won't say anything because they either don't want to get a bad rep or they're people like Bynum who were so lousy they'd kiss the feet of anybody who gives them the 25th spot on a Major League bench.

So, we have a "happy clubhouse"-doesn't mean it's necessarily well-run or that it's being managed in a manner that is conducive to the improvement of this franchise. "Chemistry" simply means that the veterans are real happy-and Trembley lacks either the guts to confront them or the intelligence to take a long view of what's really good for this team.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All "chemistry" means is that the veterans on this team are happy because they are playing full-time. The rest won't say anything because they either don't want to get a bad rep or they're people like Bynum who were so lousy they'd kiss the feet of anybody who gives them the 25th spot on a Major League bench.

So, we have a "happy clubhouse"-doesn't mean it's necessarily well-run or that it's being managed in a manner that is conducive to the improvement of this franchise. "Chemistry" simply means that the veterans are real happy-and Trembley lacks either the guts to confront them or the intelligence to take a long view of what's really good for this team.

So Trembley is either too much of a coward or too stupid to write a proper lineup? Why dont you see if you are smart enough or brave enough to tell him that yourself?

Here we go again...

People on this board don't like "chemistry" because you can't slap a stat on it. It can't be quantified.

And for a board, that is consumed with WHIPS, DIPS, and potato chips, salaries and numerous hypothetical trades, the notion of chemistry, this thing that cannot be measured by a number, is frustrating.

And therefore, it's dismissed. It's not important.

But if it's important to the players and they believe in it, I'll take their word for it.

Here we go again...

People on this board don't like "chemistry" because you can't slap a stat on it. It can't be quantified.

And for a board, that is consumed with WHIPS, DIPS, and potato chips, salaries and numerous hypothetical trades, the notion of chemistry, this thing that cannot be measured by a number, is frustrating.

But if it's important to the players and they believe in it, I'll take their word for it.

That's very funny, and spot on. Rep for you.

Crash Davis: I never told him to stay out of your bed.

Annie Savoy: You most certainly did.

Crash Davis: I never told him to stay out of your bed.

Annie Savoy: Yes you did.

Crash Davis: I told him that a player on a streak has to respect the streak.

Annie Savoy: Oh fine.

Crash Davis: You know why? Because they don't - -they don't happen very often.

Annie Savoy: Right.

Crash Davis: If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid, or because you're not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear, then you ARE! And you should know that!

[long pause]

Crash Davis: Come on, Annie, think of something clever to say, huh? Something full of magic, religion, bull****. Come on, dazzle me.

Annie Savoy: I want you.

------

THAT is what I call the importance of chemistry. In baseball or otherwise.

Here we go again...

Good Post. I'm not trying to bash anyone but I have a hard time believing anyone who doesn't understand the benefits of "chemistry" has played very much competitive team sports. Like you said it's something you can't measure or quantify but once you experience it you know how valuable it really is.

This must be today's rant. Yesterday, it was "I'm not going to the game because Payton is in the lineup", and they win. Hey dude, you missed a good game.

Today, "I don't like chemistry." Need a little bit of cheese to go along with that whine? Grow up or something, because this emotional stuff is a little overboard.

But if you're 12 years old, or in that range, I can understand. If you are an adult, try acting like one.

Mike,

Going from your post I wonder if your beef is not with the intangible "chemistry" but with the "older" "experienced" players still being played vice using younger players that are on the team or still down in the minors? If the Orioles were a young, well playing team and had a good club house "chemistry" would you be against that?

My question back is, with the players you want benched, would there not be contract issues with doing so? I don't know, I am asking you. In that case it might not be an issue of Trembley having the "guts" to sit down but what he can and can't do with the players he has...

In the best case scenario, by the start of next season, players that are not needed to advance the team will be gone and newer players brought in or brought up from the minors...here is to the best case!

Here we go again...

^^^^ What Moose said.

I mentioned it in an earlier thread today, but I finally got the chance to see that 60 Minutes segment on Bill James recently.

It reminded me why I have so much respect for Bill James personally, while a lot of his would-be followers can be awfully annoying.

They asked James about intangibles like clubhouse chemistry, which many of his disciples refuse to even acknowledge.

James said quite simply that he didn't know anything about that stuff, but one of the reasons the Red Sox were so successful is that they also employed people who did.

I've played at a reasonably high level in several sports (D1 Soccer), and in baseball, I would say that chemistry was by far the least important.

Do you think when I went to the plate, I cared about anything other than my approach? Do you think my friendship with the first baseman helped me be in sync with him when I was throwing across the diamond?

I mean, the Yankees are a pretty rigid organization, and they've done a lot of winning.

Then again, I only played High School Baseball, maybe somewhere along the line, chemistry becomes more important.

Archived