Why did Davis go after Hyde? He was not happy.

Snutchy

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

+1. I can forgive the performance and the contract but Davis has had multiple character issues over the years, starting with getting suspended for PED back when he was actually good. That arguably cost us our best shot at a WS in 35 years and should have made Davis persona non grata much earlier. (Actually, the tobacco wad has always been a red flag to me that Davis is a man of weak character). Then the Coolbaugh thing and the apparent unwillingness to change a single thing in his approach to the game, whether working on his swing or learning to bunt on the shift. Now that his mental issues are affecting his body language and hustle on defense, that is a step too far. There was a time that I felt sorry for him but now I just want him gone.

Being judgmental of others is the surest sign of "weak character."

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Not going to lie, that was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this video this morning.

As for my overall take, I hope this hastens Davis' departure from the team. Regardless of what Hyde said, there is never a reason to physically go after your manager in the dugout. 

Hyde has been nothing but a professional and to see a player such as Davis lose it like that suggests that his struggles are mounting to the point that he can't control himself. 

It will be interesting see how Elias handles this situation.

What would Elias' role be, short of releasing Davis or firing Hyde?

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not going to lie, that was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this video this morning.

As for my overall take, I hope this hastens Davis' departure from the team. Regardless of what Hyde said, there is never a reason to physically go after your manager in the dugout. 

Hyde has been nothing but a professional and to see a player such as Davis lose it like that suggests that his struggles are mounting to the point that he can't control himself. 

Whenever someone, like Hyde, says something to prompt a reaction like we saw last night, it's certain that they fell short -- at least on that occasion -- of being "professional."

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, theocean said:

I know Chris Davis isn't exactly popular - but it's never a good sign when a manager is saying something that causes one of his players to try and fight him. Say what you will about Davis, but he's never struck me as a hot head. This is not normal behavior for him.

The O's are getting their butts handed to them during this series. It's the manager's job to keep everyone's heads up through the storm. Between Hyde throwing the team under the bus, venting to the media, and now this - I really am starting to doubt Hyde.

Are you kidding me? This "throwing the team under the bus" crap is garbage. Hyde is telling the truth. He is telling it like it is and should be refreshing as a fan to hear that, not start questioning him. 

Hyde goes out of his way not to totally throw one player under the bus, but the team as a whole this year. He's absolutely correct when he says the talent is not there. He always says they are trying hard, but he's saying what we all see. 

What, you want Hunter to continue his Bagdad Bob approach and take over for Hyde in the press conferences? 

Seriously, this idea that Hyde should be questioned is utter and complete garbage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

Whenever someone, like Hyde, says something to prompt a reaction like we saw last night, it's certain that they fell short -- at least on that occasion -- of being "professional."

Whatever he said, trying to attack the guy is 1000000% worse on the scale of unprofessionalism.

12 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Hyde didn't attack Davis...it was the other way around. If you're a grown adult there are no words that justify physically attacking someone let alone your manager. If Davis doesn't have the willpower to physically restrain himself then perhaps he should join an anger management support group. 

Hyde verbally attacked Davis, clearly. Otherwise, Davis would not have reacted.

Also, Davis never touched Hyde, so it can not be described as committing "physical violence," as some have said.

Maybe they both could benefit from an anger management support group. 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

Hyde verbally attacked Davis, clearly. Otherwise, Davis would not have reacted.

Also, Davis never touched Hyde, so it can not be described as committing "physical violence," as some have said.

Maybe they both could benefit from an anger management support group. 

Very true. He moved in his direction but didn't exactly fight through his teammates while trying to get at Hyde. This wasn't George Brett and the pine tar incident.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Good take, as usual.  Hyde and Elias can see the obvious; Davis has been done for 2+ years.   Will this will finally get the Angelos sons to admit this also?  That's how this saga finally ends.

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Some of y'all have some whack takes on Hyde here, that's all I'm gonna say. Davis has been rightly criticized by coaches before and I have no problem with a manager calling out a veteran player for sleep walking on defense on a team full of young players. If Davis can't control himself that's on him. Dugout disagreements happen all the time in baseball, it's nothing out of line by Hyde.

Absolutely, these Hyde bashers are ridiculous and have no understanding of leadership. I really haven't been this pissed off that we have posters here on the Hangout with this kind of garbage take. That is MASN blog comments section BS, not Hangout quality awareness.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, turtlebowl said:

For years I had to watch Machado's lack of effort and all I ever heard was it would be taken care of behind closed doors.  Well whatever happened behind closed doors obviously had zero impact on Machado because he never changed.  Davis looked lazy in the game last night defensively.  Hyde has stressed from day 1 that he would not tolerate lack of effort.  Hyde was likely frustrated last night because the Yankees are making his team look like they don't belong on the same field.  He see's his highest paid player showing minimal effort and he called him out in front of his peers.  Could he of handled it a little better, probably.  Did he get his point across to Davis and the whole roster, absolutely.

Exactly. These complaints are what's wrong with people today. "Don't say something negative to a player on the bench, blah, blah, blah!" BS!

Hyde saw something and addressed it. The prima donna, who Hyde has shielded all year despite his awful performance, takes exception because managers can't even say anything anymore without players calling their agents. 

I don't care what Hyde said, going physically after him in the dugout is not the answer to the problem. The Orioles are a laughing stock around baseball because of this incident. What last place team getting it's ass whooped once again has a physical dustup with it's highest paid player and manager? 

This is on Davis and I hope it's addressed by Elias finally. It's time to move on.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1