vs. YANKEES Game 2, 8/12

scOtt

Just now, JR Oriole said:

Do these guys look like they could “man up?”  And what do you learn letting the same guy kick the crap out of you every AB?  Is that good for self confidence?  Isn’t it better to have a shred of success?  Let somebody else serve up embarrassing records.  

Better than just giving up.  At least try and pose a challenge.

Well, I’ve been working.

Instead of checking the game directly, I decided to come here and follow the action through the comments of other oriole fans. The game has gone exactly as I expected, and I laugh when people talk about designating this guy or that guy. The one thing that really gets my goat is the idea that wins don’t matter. I strongly disagree with that. Wins do matter. 

Sending the same terrible guys out to be terrible and to be laughed at by the rest of baseball matters: yes yes, I know I still have to come up with a bunch of names, but the fact is any name is OK. I’ve said that multiple times and I’ll say it again tonight. It is shamefully embarrassing to keep calling up Phillips, he’s had chance and chance to show that he’s not a major-league pitcher.

I don’t care if “wins don’t matter.” I care about embarrassing baseball and I care about the other dugout laughing in joy when they see Phillips or Hess take the mound, I need your guy says to himself, “wow, I hope he’s still on the mound when it’s my turn.”

Sending Phillips back to the mound literally says, “we don’t care.” And because the boss basically has publicly said that wins don’t matter, maybe he doesn’t care.

But I care. I remember how devastated I was after the 2013 All-Star game when we got swept by the Diamondbacks in a 4-game series which sealed our 2013 fate. 

Right now I understand where we are. I want to win, but I care less about losing than I care about trying. And anytime we send out guys who have proven to be worse than useless, it gives the other guys more chance for laughter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

The one thing that really gets my goat is the idea that wins don’t matter. I strongly disagree with that. Wins do matter.

Yep. The fewer, the better. This season, next season and maybe even the season after that. Also, are you just going to attempt to gloat every game? Seriously?