Cost Cutting Measures

weams

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Welp, the team, with MASN is valued at over 1B so I'm guessing MLB isn't sweating the 360M.  I don't have figures on hand but I'm guessing the O's could have zero fans in the stands next year and would still exceed 130M in revenue.

The game has grown a lot since that deal was made.

Will MASN according to one of the  disputes with the Nationals made $148 million in revenue a few years back.Of course they have rights fees split of $35 million to each team.This might change because of the ruling.Plus used to be subject to revenue sharing of 34%.But MASN is not owned by the Orioles.Angelos and  maybe a few minority owners .So who knows  what the revenue number might entsil. But Angelos would have to sell MASN if he sold the team. This is revenue and not profit after expenses. 

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Will MASN according to one of the  disputes with the Nationals made $148 million in revenue a few years back.Of course they have rights fees split of $35 million to each team.This might change because of the ruling.Plus used to be subject to revenue sharing of 34%.But MASN is not owned by the Orioles.Angelos and  maybe a few minority owners .So who knows  what the revenue number might entsil. But Angelos would have to sell MASN if he sold the team. This is revenue and not profit after expenses. 

Why would that be a requirement?

As for 148M in revenue?  I find that very hard to believe.  MLB generated 10.3B in revenue in 2018.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As for 148M in revenue?  I find that very hard to believe.  MLB generated 10.3B in revenue in 2018.

No potential owner would buy the Orioles without MASN imo.

The Nationals 2019 payroll is at $212 million.

I refuse to believe that they are operating in the red! 

They have a higher attendance and concessions due to being competitive.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WSN/washington-nationals-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

Just now, Roll Tide said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WSN/washington-nationals-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

And being in DC!

I’m getting so lost in this thread.  Can someone clarify once and for all?  I thought the MASN arbitration ruling and court decision affirming it merely affirmed that the formula used to determine revenue payments was proper.  It was a formula the Os probably favored, but was still more money than they wanted to pay out annually.  However, the MASN agreement dictates that both teams shall receive equal amounts of annual revenue, and the Orioles are majority owners of MASN which is a percentage that decreases annually until the split reaches 67% for the Os, and 34% for the Nats.  Neither of those provisions were  changed with this decision either.  So the issue is MASN (whose majority owner is the Os) has to pay withheld revenues since 2012.  Correct?  

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

It's your opinion.

You might be right.

But you made it sound like it was a requirement, which it isn't.

What if they sold MASN and then sold the team?  Would no one be interested because they can't buy MASN?

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Why wouldn’t someone but the Orioles without MASN?  The rights fees just went up. The Orioles will get that money whether they own MASN or not. I think it makes sense to sell MASN.  Another entity might want to run MASN at a loss to make their overall TV package stronger.  Sinclair might give good price for MASN.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's your opinion.

You might be right.

But you made it sound like it was a requirement, which it isn't.

What if they sold MASN and then sold the team?  Would no one be interested because they can't buy MASN?

If I were a billionaire and interested in the Orioles, I'd only be interested if the deal included MASN. Or if the Orioles weren't committed to using MASN. But since the Orioles, despite the recent decision still have the better end of the agreement.

19 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If I were a billionaire and interested in the Orioles, I'd only be interested if the deal included MASN. Or if the Orioles weren't committed to using MASN. But since the Orioles, despite the recent decision still have the better end of the agreement.

I'm not sure why you repeated yourself.

57 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

All the articles I have read said they are required to sell the Orioles and MASN  together.Not sure if that was negotiated when the Expos moved and MLB put it in their since he was owning a much bigger percentage of the regional network.Maybe did not wanting Angelo's owning two teams regional networks if not at least owning a team.Would be fun watching him fighting with the Nationals and whoever would end up owning the Orioles. 

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

All the articles I have read said they are required to sell the Orioles and MASN  together.Not sure if that was negotiated when the Expos moved and MLB put it in their since he was owning a much bigger percentage of the regional network.Maybe did not wanting Angelo's owning two teams regional networks if not at least owning a team.Would be fun watching him fighting with the Nationals and whoever would end up owning the Orioles. 

Wasn't MLB trying to get the O's to sell MASN to a third party?  Pretty sure that was a thing.

55 minutes ago, jtm said:

I’m getting so lost in this thread.  Can someone clarify once and for all?  I thought the MASN arbitration ruling and court decision affirming it merely affirmed that the formula used to determine revenue payments was proper.  It was a formula the Os probably favored, but was still more money than they wanted to pay out annually.  However, the MASN agreement dictates that both teams shall receive equal amounts of annual revenue, and the Orioles are majority owners of MASN which is a percentage that decreases annually until the split reaches 67% for the Os, and 34% for the Nats.  Neither of those provisions were  changed with this decision either.  So the issue is MASN (whose majority owner is the Os) has to pay withheld revenues since 2012.  Correct?  

Yes, that's how I understand it. 

If MASN and the Orioles baseball team are being run as separate entities, these would actually increase the TV money the team gets. 

8 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Yes,supposedly to settle the dispute, MLB was trying to get Comcast or someone similar to buy the Nationals part of MASN.

33 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Sorry, I didn't read what you wrote closely enough.  I never saw anything saying they were only try to sell off the Nationals part of MASN.  I'm not sure how that would fix any problems.  What I remember seeing was that they were trying to get the whole of MASN sold to a third party.

Edited by Can_of_corn
misread something.