Chandler Shepherd streaking

wildcard

Shepherd reminds me of a kid jumping up and down, waving his arms and yelling "Pick me, pick me".

Here is what he has done in August:

Aug 1st  Norfolk Start   6.1 IP,  3 H,  0 ER,  1 BB, 8 SO

Aug 8th  Norfolk Start   6 IP,  6 H,  1 ER,  1 BB, 6 SO

Aug 13th O's  Relief   4 IP, 5 H, 1ER,  3 BB,  2 SO

Aug 19th  Norfolk Start 6 IP,  7 H, 3 ER,  2 BB, 6 SO

Aug 24th Norfolk Start  7 IP,  3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 7 SO  Complete game

Totals for Aug       29.1 IP,  20 H, 7 ER,   9 BB,  29 SO,  2.15 ERA, 0.99 WHIP

So call him up. Put him in the rotation.  Give him a chance.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TINSTAAPP said:

Yet he still has a 5.18 ERA and 1.45 WHIP at Norfolk. How about considering his entire body of work instead of a few good consecutive appearances?

How do I know what the O's did to change his game.  Is it analytics?  Did Chris Holt have him make a change?  I have no idea.  All I can say is what a month.   Give him a chance.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Yet he still has a 5.18 ERA and 1.45 WHIP at Norfolk. How about considering his entire body of work instead of a few good consecutive appearances?

How about lowering the bar to reflect the Orioles' entire body of work this season?  With a few welcome exceptions, I think Orioles pitching this season is far beyond nuanced arguments about small sample size and well into dart-throwing territory.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

maybe he;s been working on things in the minors.  I remember reading an article earlier this year about Akin and how they are pushing him to use all his pitches in all counts, which  is leading to more walks, but his K's are up too.  I think this new player development system might result in some early struggles while pitchers try to learn it.  I think I heard and old person say once, If you are going to get rid of a hornets nest, you are gonna get stung.  Maybe its a case of dealing with the growing pains while trying to be a more complete pitcher

Chandler has a high K/9 rate, so maybe he's been trying to find the right pace and pattern to be more effective at the big league level and its now starting to click.  

• Upvote 1