The Rubber Match (vs. DODGERS, 9/12)

OFFNY

13 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I get it.....but in my era teams kind of carried some catchers just for their defense and arm.  I understand wanting to get offense out of the position but watching Severino this season.....I can not see him bringing much.  They preach defense up the middle.  Catcher, SS, Second and Center....and the Orioles are below average defensively in all these positions.  It is just hard to watch.

I agree totally. Defense is my biggest annoyance with this team, and Severino is not very good. No one is very good. Sisco is statistically better, for some reason, but I would rather have Severino. Sisco has just been awful this year. Severino hasn’t been very good, and make no mistake, but I’d rather have him for now.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I get it.....but in my era teams kind of carried some catchers just for their defense and arm.  I understand wanting to get offense out of the position but watching Severino this season.....I can not see him bringing much.  They preach defense up the middle.  Catcher, SS, Second and Center....and the Orioles are below average defensively in all these positions.  It is just hard to watch.

I grew up with the Rangers: Buddy Bell was outstanding at 3B, Toby Harrah a great SS or 2B, Bump Wills also great, but I loved Jim Sundberg. His career average might be about .230, but he was an expert framer before framing was even a thing, and he was great at throwing out runners. He won 6-7 straight gold gloves, and should have won more.

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Shouldn't Bundy have gotten to home plate in time to potentially catch a throw from Severino and stop the 2nd run from scoring?

His defense let him down, for sure, but his own defense also let him down.

I only saw the replay at midnight. BUNDY was walking straight toward the Dugout the entire time! From when whoever swung til after the 2nd runner scored. Walking. Slowly. And intensely looking in at the dugout. Usually he's outstanding on defense. There was something going on there.

3 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Kershaw jumping out of the way of the sliding baserunner at the end of that play was the antithesis of what Michael Givens did against the Yankees last year ........ he literally blocked home plate with his balls, saving the game for his team.

Image result for Mychal Givens blocks home plate Yankees

o

3 hours ago, O's84 said:

I've been searching for that play for awhile but have been able find it.  Thanks!!

Got me a copy of that too! Thanks OFFNY!

4 hours ago, survivedc said:

Yeah I mean Bundy should’ve covered but I understand the mistake

That shot of the coaches in the dugout tells the tale.

I understand, but don't condone. Severino comes up with the ball and sets to throw and...Bundy's not there at home plate to receive it, but is lolly-gagging acting p'd-off in no-man's land somewhat traipsing back to the dugout, which he doesn't do full-speed bc Hyde and Flores are yelling at him to cover home. Then he continues to act disgusted staring out over the OF fence after the ball is returned to him.

Bundy's intention was clear: To show up his own catcher, who was guilty of what? A passed ball on a pitch that Severino had set up inside-low to catch, but was thrown high to the other side of the plate with rain slicking both the ball and the catcher's glove.

Both Hyde and Flores were astounded. I hope they give him a "lecture."

Archived