What will Villar's trade value be this off-season?

Greg Pappas

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

I'd cut him a lot of slack for that, but that's besides the point - being that it's clear that Didi is at a higher level as a SS than Villar is - I don't think anyone disagrees with that - and because of that - if he gets very little attention in free agency, that's an indication that Villar has very little trade value.  

I’d certainly agree Didi was at a higher level as a SS than Villar.    Whether he is now is more debatable.     I didn’t see him play much this year so I don’t really have an opinion of how he looks post-surgery.    

The way the FA market is these days, you never know how much interest there is in a player until the offseason is over.     Let’s say Didi is unsigned in mid-February, does that mean nobody’s interested?   It may just mean that teams are trying to outwait his demands.   So it doesn’t tell me much about how teams value Villar.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d certainly agree Didi was at a higher level as a SS than Villar.    Whether he is now is more debatable.     I didn’t see him play much this year so I don’t really have an opinion of how he looks post-surgery.    

The way the FA market is these days, you never know how much interest there is in a player until the offseason is over.     Let’s say Didi is unsigned in mid-February, does that mean nobody’s interested?   It may just mean that teams are trying to outwait his demands.   So it doesn’t tell me much about how teams value Villar.   

Ok, let me word this correctly - I think it's safe to say that every non-O's baseball fan would say that Didi is clearly at a higher level as a SS than Villar is.  :)

Just now, Ruzious said:

Ok, let me word this correctly - I think it's safe to say that every non-O's baseball fan would say that Didi is clearly at a higher level as a SS than Villar is.  :)

My comment is purely derived from not observing Didi’s defense this year once he returned from surgery.     Like you, I consider Villar to be a 2B who can play SS when needed, rather than a guy you’d want to play SS every day.   Gregorius certainly was a solid everyday SS before his surgery.