Francisco Jimenez?

wildcard

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Can someone post an analysis of him?   Looks like he had a good  season.  Does he have a chance to make the majors in the next year or so?

I'd need to go back and refresh my memory to give a full analysis, but I watched him pitch a bit. His fastball is up to 97mph, usually 94-96, offspeed stuff isn't great, I remember thinking that he was a bit less than Branden Kline. Like middle relief ceiling, more likely just AAA depth piece. 

I'd take Muckenhirn, Klimek, and Alvarado over him, just from the pool of AA relievers. 

12 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'd need to go back and refresh my memory to give a full analysis, but I watched him pitch a bit. His fastball is up to 97mph, usually 94-96, offspeed stuff isn't great, I remember thinking that he was a bit less than Branden Kline. Like middle relief ceiling, more likely just AAA depth piece. 

I'd take Muckenhirn, Klimek, and Alvarado over him, just from the pool of AA relievers. 

Thanks Luke.     Alvarado seems like a candidate to be protected in the Rule 5 draft.   Do you see any of the other three being protected?   I think they are all eligible.

I see the O's letting quite of few of the pitchers they have used this season off the 40 man roster before the Rule 5 draft.   There could be space for some of the Bowie guys that are eligible.  Heaven knows the pen could use some help. 

On 9/15/2019 at 6:24 AM, Luke-OH said:

Underrated arms and good stories. I wouldn’t get crazy and say they need to be protected on the 40 man, but they proved to be slightly more than organizational filler this year. Let’s see what they do in AAA. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Underrated arms and good stories. I wouldn’t get crazy and say they need to be protected on the 40 man, but they proved to be slightly more than organizational filler this year. Let’s see what they do in AAA. 

Yeah, I don't think any of those guys need to be protected, sure they might get picked, but generally relievers picked in the Rule 5 are either statistically dominant AAA types or premium stuff types. None of these guys really fit that bill. Felix Bautisa fits the premium stuff definition (t101, flashing an above average slider) but hasn't pitched above Low A, so even if he did get picked, he'd have a lot of trouble sticking. 

On 9/15/2019 at 6:24 AM, Luke-OH said:

The more I watched Klimek this year the more I liked him. He's head and shoulders above the guys you mentioned here for me.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The more I watched Klimek this year the more I liked him. He's head and shoulders above the guys you mentioned here for me.

He definitely got the best pitch of the group, it’s going to be up to his fastball command as to whether he’s going to be a legit bullpen arm IMO.

Would you protect Klimek?

7 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He definitely got the best pitch of the group, it’s going to be up to his fastball command as to whether he’s going to be a legit bullpen arm IMO.

Would you protect Klimek?

I haven't done the full 40-man eval but I'd protect him over the other guys you listed. Would the plus curve and the slider that is more slurrvy, I think he's got a pretty good chance of being a solid bullpen arm. From July to the end of the year batters slashed .147/.284/.206/.490 off him with a 0.47 ERA over 19.1 IP with 22 Ks and 11 BBs. Agreed the fastball command needs to tighten up a bit but at 93-95, it has enough on it to keep guys honest even when he not commanding as well.

19 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I haven't done the full 40-man eval but I'd protect him over the other guys you listed. Would the plus curve and the slider that is more slurrvy, I think he's got a pretty good chance of being a solid bullpen arm. From July to the end of the year batters slashed .147/.284/.206/.490 off him with a 0.47 ERA over 19.1 IP with 22 Ks and 11 BBs. Agreed the fastball command needs to tighten up a bit but at 93-95, it has enough on it to keep guys honest even when he not commanding as well.

Klimek reminds me a bit of Fry in Bowie. 

Even when his stuff didn't seem overwhelming, all he did was get guys out. 

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Klimek reminds me a bit of Fry in Bowie. 

Even when his stuff didn't seem overwhelming, all he did was get guys out. 

Well, I mean other than the fact that Fry is lefthanded and Klimek is right handed and Fry throws about 90-91 while Klimek throws 93-96 and Fry has no plus pitch and Klimek has a plus curveball then yes, they are completely similar. ;)

48 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, I mean other than the fact that Fry is lefthanded and Klimek is right handed and Fry throws about 90-91 while Klimek throws 93-96 and Fry has no plus pitch and Klimek has a plus curveball then yes, they are completely similar. ;)

Minor details. ?

The few times I saw Klimek in Bowie (mainly saw him in Frederick), he seemed to be pitching to contact (like Fry was) and kept the hitters off balance enough where there was a ton of weak contact.