What impact will Hays, Mountcastle and Stewart have in 2020?

wildcard

Its not often that the O's have three minor leaguers that could have impact bats join the roster in the same year.   Hays gave a glimpse of what he can do in September with both the bat and glove.  Mountcastle winning the International League MVP at 22 adds an exciting bat.   Stewart has nothing more to prove at AAA.   His bat and plate discipline earned him the promotion.

What do you think these guys will mean to the offense?  Do they deepen the lineup enough to sustain rallies?

They should pick up some of the slack for Villar and Mancini, whom I expect will be traded. I also expect Mountcastle to start the year in Norfolk so he can get in more work at 1B before they bring him up. I suppose that could change if his defense looks adequate in spring training. 

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

They should pick up some of the slack for Villar and Mancini, whom I expect will be traded. I also expect Mountcastle to start the year in Norfolk so he can get in more work at 1B before they bring him up. I suppose that could change if his defense looks adequate in spring training. 

"More work at first"

I’m hoping Hays is a solid .800+ OPS regular who plays good CF defense.    I think Mountcastle will be the best hitter of the three, though maybe not in 2020.    I see him as an .850+ guy and the question is where he’ll settle in defensively and will he be respectable there.    Stewart is hanging by a thread.    I’m hoping he can be a 3/4 OF but he’s got a lot to prove.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m hoping Hays is a solid .800+ OPS regular who plays good CF defense.    I think Mountcastle will be the best hitter of the three, though maybe not in 2020.    I see him as an .850+ guy and the question is where he’ll settle in defensively and will he be respectable there.    Stewart is hanging by a thread.    I’m hoping he can be a 3/4 OF but he’s got a lot to prove.

I am just looking at the ability to sustain a rally because of more good hitters in the lineup.  If they keep Villar(big if):

Villar, Hays, Mancini, Mountcastle, Nunez, Santander, Alberto, Ruiz, Severino/Sisco.  plus Stewart and Wilkerson off the bench.

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Its not often that the O's have three minor leaguers that could have impact bats join the roster in the same year.   Hays gave a glimpse of what he can do in September with both the bat and glove.  Mountcastle winning the International League MVP at 22 adds an exciting bat.   Stewart has nothing more to prove at AAA.   His bat and plate discipline earned him the promotion.

What do you think these guys will mean to the offense?  Do they deepen the lineup enough to sustain rallies?

The problem is the two of them have the wrong kind of impact gloves. Stewart hasn’t demonstrated much prowess, And no need to rehash the oft-stated need to find Mountcastle a defensive home. They cannot both play left field, and Mountcastle can’t play first. 

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure Philip has some impeccable references that support such a strong position.

I'm pretty sure he can't play shortstop or third at an MLB level. Sure, Chris Davis played third.  So did Mark Reynolds. Mark Trumbo played third at the MLB level. So did Wilson Betemit.  But Mountcastle. He can't. So maybe he can't play LF or RF or 1B. I guess he could be a Nelson Cruz type batter. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, weams said:

I'm pretty sure he can't play shortstop or third at an MLB level. Sure, Chris Davis played third.  So did Mark Reynolds. Mark Trumbo played third at the MLB level. So did Wilson Betemit.  But Mountcastle. He can't. So maybe he can't play LF or RF or 1B. I guess he could be a Nelson Cruz type batter. 

I think Mountcastle will probably be about as good as the 2017 Mancini in left.  Mancini does probably have a better arm but they are both rated pretty slow.   Since Mountcastle was a SS he is probably a little more athletic.

• Upvote 1

Are there no scouting reports on Mountcastle in left late in the season?

To answer the question, I hope/expect Hays to play center and Mountcastle to play left (at least most of the season). I don't expect much from Stewart, but I never mind to be wrong if it benefits the Orioles.

1 minute ago, orioles22 said:

Are there no scouting reports on Mountcastle in left late in the season?

To answer the question, I hope/expect Hays to play center and Mountcastle to play left (at least most of the season). I don't expect much from Stewart, but I never mind to be wrong if it benefits the Orioles.

Was only 26 games.  Not much data there.