Arrieta pitching now

wickedwitch

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty nice game for Jake. I hope he gets another opportunity to pitch before the Olympics are over. Missing a month of minor league ball to pitch in only one game in the Olympics wouldn't be a very good trade-off.

I dont think losing this one month of game time will hurt him too much, especially if he goes to the AFL again.

Did anyone read the article on Jim Lefebvre taking over the Chinese team, where up to that point, Chinese baseball strategy consisted of "bunt on base, sac bunt, sac bunt, pray for wild pitch"?

He even said that the Chinese team would have a problem playing in high A at this point.

Not sure who is doing the NBC Live Commentary text on their feed...

Matthew Pouliot of Rotoworld.com

I've been enjoying their commentary. One night, the guy who was doing it said something like, "He's just been awful." I cracked up. The tone is kinda refreshing.

Edit: By the way, you can go to the same site referenced earlier in the thread (http://www.nbcolympics.com/baseball/index.html) and down in the Schedule/Results section, click on Rewind to see the feed in archived version. I agree that the video quality is outstanding.

I wouldnt get too excited about this start. He faces much better competition at high A ball, probly.

I agree, I watched most of the game on Universal HD. The Chinese team would have had trouble with an average Division III college team. Their pitchers were throwing in the mid to high 70's.

The play at the plate with the Chinese catcher getting run over was the hardest hit I've ever seen on a baseball diamond, the guy got leveled; he deserved it too.

Arrieta is done for the day, and probably the Olys, unless he's used in relief. I'll take 0 runs and 2 hits any day.

You think? Would he have enough rest if they got into a medal game?

BTW if I were a Cleveland fan right now I would be furious about LaPorta. Imagine if that were Weiters...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Now overall I notice 29 K's in 17 innings. That ratio of 1.7 is top of the line for a starter!
    • Urias looks pretty cooked too though, and he's not providing the kind of defensive flexibility that Mateo is, and he doesn't have very good splits for platooning.  At least for 2023 and 2024 Mateo has had good platoon splits.
    • SSS but Holliday was playing incredible defense after like the first game or two when he seemed to have some jitters.  He had +3 OAA in a very short span.  Mateo has looked a little awkward at 2nd to be honest, and he's not the best at making the double play turn.
    • Hoping for a speedy recovery. That all happened fast. Not my initial impression reading the write up.
    • McCann looks cooked but he's in his last year and our options at backup C aren't great unless we're willing to trade for one.  But I'm not giving up a lot for a backup C.   I'd like to find a replacement for Urias.  He didn't look great last year and he's being thrust into a role that he's not really cut out for right now.  I don't think he's getting the 2022 magic back.  Maybe Westburg can go to 3rd full time and one of our 5 AAA 2nd basemen can work in with Mateo at 2nd.
    • I quoted myself, because I wanted to share something with you all.  I have memory issues.  Nothing full blown or anything, but I don't recall things nearly as well as I once did.  I mention this because it occurred to me that I posted a very similar thing about McCann last year, and he performed notably better in the 2nd half.  At least I believe so.   It's not that I feel I'm exactly wrong about McCann, but rather that he showed himself to be better just last season and could do so again.  I hope so. Memory issues are nothing to be ashamed of, though I'd be pretending if it didn't bother me.  I've been dealing with this for maybe five years or so, though it gets worse every year.  At 59, that's younger than most that have such issues.   I'm sure in a forum as populated as this one, there could be others going through what I am.  It is what it is... it's life, and I hope you're all doing your best with it. 
    • Estrada and Tejada both continued their recent surges today.  Estrada was 2 for 4 with a double, while Tejada was 3 for 3  with a homer.  Tejada has his OPS up to .737, not bad for a league where .654 is average.  Estrada is at .628 and climbing.  
  • Popular Contributors