Orioles 2011 Draft

weams

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Wow, just a loaded draft. Grow the bats, buy the arms. It’s the safest way to build a system. Seems like that’s what HOU did, especially after Prior and that #1 pick that didn’t sign. 

Grow the bats. Build the bullpen. Then go out and get SP. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Buy the right arms, ideally. The Orioles' track record doing so has been abysmal, but hopefully that changes. 

I don't like the idea of limiting the approach to these catch phrases.  You take what the market gives you.  If the guy at the top of your draft board is a pitcher, you draft him. 

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Even better, here’s a poll from immediately after the draft about whether the O’s should have taken Bundy or Rendon.    70% said Bundy.    I voted for Rendon.

I also voted Rendon I'm guessing because I don't believe in high picks for high school pitchers

I voted CJ Abrams over Rutchsman this year

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't like the idea of limiting the approach to these catch phrases.  You take what the market gives you.  If the guy at the top of your draft board is a pitcher, you draft him. 

You always want to take the best player available.

The trick, is who is really the best player?

The guy playing best right at this moment in time.

Or, the guy, you think has the best skillset for the Majors, given the proper coaching.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You always want to take the best player available.

The trick, is who is really the best player?

The guy playing best right at this moment in time.

Or, the guy, you think has the best skillset for the Majors, given the proper coaching.

I think best player available is probably an oversimplification at the top of the draft.   Risk also enters the equation.   Given a can’t miss position player vs. a can’t miss pitcher, I’d have a preference for the position player because the risk of a career altering injury is less.     Obviously the risk exists either way, but pitchers have the greater risk.    Now, if there’s a big talent gap, that has to be taken into consideration too.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think best player available is probably an oversimplification at the top of the draft.   Risk also enters the equation.   Given a can’t miss position player vs. a can’t miss pitcher, I’d have a preference for the position player because the risk of a career altering injury is less.     Obviously the risk exists either way, but pitchers have the greater risk.    Now, if there’s a big talent gap, that has to be taken into consideration too.   

Obviously, you skip guys, you have high risk of signing, like Jeter publically announcing, he would only sign with the Yanks.

I think the signing structure for the picks, does take some of the risk away, of being able to sign them, once you draft them.

But, you still have risk for the younger ones, like the high schoolers, who decide to play college ball.

I get what you say about cant miss position vs pitchers, I guess there is so much more demand for pitching, and shortage in the market, requires you to take more of them in your draft.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

I also voted Rendon I'm guessing because I don't believe in high picks for high school pitchers

I voted CJ Abrams over Rutchsman this year

So you would have missed out on high school draftees Maddux, Blyleven, Ryan, Glavine, Smoltz, Halladay, Eckersley, Gossage, Lee Smith, Bruce Sutter.  Also Greinke, Kershaw, Pettitte, Hamels, Cone, Wells, Kenny Rogers, Lester, Radke, Al Leiter, Peavy, Wainwright, Beckett, Chris Carpenter...

Like Andy MacPhail proved, if you try hard enough you can convince yourself that no avenue of talent acquisition has a high enough ROI to take a chance on.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So you would have missed out on high school draftees Maddux, Blyleven, Ryan, Glavine, Smoltz, Halladay, Eckersley, Gossage, Lee Smith, Bruce Sutter.  Also Greinke, Kershaw, Pettitte, Hamels, Cone, Wells, Kenny Rogers, Lester, Radke, Al Leiter, Peavy, Wainwright, Beckett, Chris Carpenter...

Like Andy MacPhail proved, if you try hard enough you can convince yourself that no avenue of talent acquisition has a high enough ROI to take a chance on.

Well I'm not going to bother to check if all of the above were top 5 picks, but yep you have to have a system and I would not pick a HS pitcher with a top 5 pick

For a top 5 pick I want a position player, and one that can play a high value position (SS, CF), which is why I pick CJ Abrams over Rutschman

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Well I'm not going to bother to check if all of the above were top 5 picks, but yep you have to have a system and I would not pick a HS pitcher with a top 5 pick

For a top 5 pick I want a position player, and one that can play a high value position (SS, CF), which is why I pick CJ Abrams over Rutschman

If you meant top 5 you should have specified that instead of something as vague as "high pick".  I figured you meant first round. 

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You were the one who decided post-facto that the very vague "high pick" meant top five.  I thought it could be top five rounds.

I think the rIsk/reward tradeoff alters pretty dramatically as you move down the list.    Even within the first round.    

17 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Imagine the possibilities if Macphail was allowed to trade draft picks. I hope that’s in the new CBA.