MiLB contraction

weams

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Isn't the going rate for a SoMd Blue Crab $1200 or $1500 a month?  Maybe $1000 on the low end?  That would have to be some real good apple butter to make up $500-$800 a month.

Might be. I thought the Revs payed about 800. 

14 hours ago, weams said:

Might be. I thought the Revs payed about 800. 

I think that was about my bi-weekly take-home pay as a 21-year-old engineer with mediocre grades coming out of college 26 years ago.   After inflation and deductions that's about a quarter of my starting salary a quarter of a century ago.  But they might have better stories, and that's really what counts in the end.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think that was about my bi-weekly take-home pay as a 21-year-old engineer with mediocre grades coming out of college 26 years ago.   After inflation and deductions that's about a quarter of my starting salary a quarter of a century ago.  But they might have better stories, and that's really what counts in the end.

I went down memory lane the other night.

I think in 1980, I was making about $10K a year, my apartment rent was $225 a month, $30 a month for the electric, no cable/tv/internet bills. My first new car payment was $166 then. LOL

On 10/18/2019 at 3:09 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

I guess.  The median per-game attendance in the Midwest League is about 3100 fans.  About the same in the Southern League.  Six of the ten teams in the Appy League averaged under 1000 fans a game.

I'm stunned to find out the Las Vegas team draws 650K + per year (9,300 per game).  Our Sally league team in Charleston, WV averages 1,700 per game and around 118K for the year.  

12 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I'm stunned to find out the Las Vegas team draws 650K + per year (9,300 per game).  Our Sally league team in Charleston, WV averages 1,700 per game and around 118K for the year.  

Vegas has a population about 13 times that of Charleston.   I realize there are a lot of people who don’t live in Charleston but are within, say, an hour’s drive, but I’d still say Vegas has a much bigger population to draw upon.   Of course, they also have a lot of other entertainment options.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Vegas has a population about 13 times that of Charleston.   I realize there are a lot of people who don’t live in Charleston but are within, say, an hour’s drive, but I’d still say Vegas has a much bigger population to draw upon.   Of course, they also have a lot of other entertainment options.   

Oh yeah, I understand the population difference and all.  I was just surprised that a minor league team anywhere could draw so well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Oh yeah, I understand the population difference and all.  I was just surprised that a minor league team anywhere could draw so well.

One minor league city that outdraws its size is Dayton, OH.  The low-A Dragons nearly always sell out.

On a different note, it would seem that both York and Lancaster PA would be good alternative sites for the Bowie team if they were relocated.  The major drawback for the Orioles is that keeping a minor league team in Bowie is helpful for creating a fan base in Howard, Anne Arundel and Prince Georges County.