No Fanfest in 2020?

mdbdotcom

34 minutes ago, weams said:

Is it?  Or simply to live within its means during the rebuild. Ramping back up with a good team is certainly easy. It's done all over and every day. 

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m not getting any discount on my tickets because the team is losing 100+ games.  They are already scaling back payroll. We are getting a worse product for the same money, and now they take away a benefit many enjoyed. It seems to me to be pretty disingenuous to cut back on things just because they are “rebuilding” but they aren’t giving anybody a break on the prices we pay. 

1 hour ago, Stouffy said:

My eight year old son absolutely loved meeting players at Fanfest, so I decided to send an email yesterday to the Orioles, expressing our disappointment in the cancellation of Fanfest, which was confirmed by an Orioles Representative.  I responded with other issues I had, between flash sales for games I had tickets for and the quality of the giveaways in recent years.  Here is the response I received today:

Thank you for your response, and taking the time to share your feedback as a Birdland Member.

New this year, we restructured our season ticket plans to be Birdland Memberships which included benefits like MLB’s most flexible exchange policy, discounts on concessions and merchandise, and more. We introduced our Birdland Rewards program which it looks like you used to get access to a couple giveaway items. We also expanded on our early admission for members by extending it to 1 hour prior to the general public on all Friday and Saturday home games. We believe that this gave our members exclusive access to batting practice and the players that isn’t given to the general public. 

While we will continue to offer other flash sales and special ticket offers next season, we will continue to make sure that the Birdland Membership is the best value we offer. We certainly take the feedback that we received from the surveys throughout the year to make improvements for 2020, and we are working to expand our Birdland Rewards events to include options with player interactions.

We have a new senior leadership team here on the business side of the organization who are working to create more engaging and personal experiences for all fans. While FanFest will not be coming back in its same capacity this offseason, there will be new opportunities throughout the year for you and your son to stay engaged. I would encourage you to stay tuned through our social media accounts, website, and email newsletter for updates as we have more details.

I will pass your feedback along to the appropriate departments regarding promotional items and player appearances throughout the season. If you have any other feedback that you would like to share with us now or in the future please feel free to reach us at this email address (members@orioles.com)

The same guy who wanted to do away with the 13 game plans is now in charge.Should be fun.

I am still waiting for WIFI at the stadium.Maybe that will replace Fanfest.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's the team's job to market what players they have.

I agree. They need to at least be creative and try. It's why they pay their marketing department.

Understanding there may be something yet to replace it, I still hold that leaking that there will be no FanFest without having something readily in place to replace it is not wise for a team in the midst of a brutal downswing and a full rebuild. This is when they should be MOST engaged with the fan base to try to generate excitement and preserve loyalty. Especially, ya know, when you consider that the annoying team down the street may be on the verge of hanging their first World Series banner.

It's a bad look. I'm surprised more people don't feel that way.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, RoarFrom85 said:

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m not getting any discount on my tickets because the team is losing 100+ games.  They are already scaling back payroll. We are getting a worse product for the same money, and now they take away a benefit many enjoyed. It seems to me to be pretty disingenuous to cut back on things just because they are “rebuilding” but they aren’t giving anybody a break on the prices we pay. 

And during the rebuild the profits should be higher then ever.

To me, its an annoyance along the way.

Fans of this team, are going to stay fans regardless of FANFEST or not.

I know lots of diehard fans that have never attended one, that doesnt make them less or better, it just wasn't for them.

I know a few fans that love them, and sorry there isnt one for you this year, but I dont think its a permanent removable. But, that is opinion, and I dont have inside sources one way or another.

Its just going to be a very long boring off-season, until we get the guys back in Florida playing ST.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Is it?  Or simply to live within its means during the rebuild. Ramping back up with a good team is certainly easy. It's done all over and every day. 

They can market Mancini, Villar and Means.  I am sure fans would like to see them and meet them.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

But there is no law saying they have to do it by holding a Fanfest.   

Also, they’re in a position where they could be marketing the very players who Elias is “marketing” for a trade.    Imagine having a big ad campaign featuring Trey Mancini, and next thing you know, he’s gone.    The O’s are particularly vulnerable to that right now with their more recognizable players.   

Maybe they shouldn't trade their marketable players.  Adam Jones, Markakis, Wieters, Britton and Hardy were marketable guys for a while.  They are gone along with Machado and Schoop.  You were left  no one marketable at last years fan fest.  So time to build new guys up.  If you are just trading everyone who is any good you will never have any fans. 

49 minutes ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

I agree. They need to at least be creative and try. It's why they pay their marketing department.

Understanding there may be something yet to replace it, I still hold that leaking that there will be no FanFest without having something readily in place to replace it is not wise for a team in the midst of a brutal downswing and a full rebuild. This is when they should be MOST engaged with the fan base to try to generate excitement and preserve loyalty. Especially, ya know, when you consider that the annoying team down the street may be on the verge of hanging their first World Series banner.

It's a bad look. I'm surprised more people don't feel that way.

It is pathetic. The Orioles had dwindling attendance last season and they way they work on that is to remove fan fest and the GM/Manager QA for season ticket holders.  Getting into the game an hour earlier helps season ticket holders how?  It is assigned seating.  Before anyone could get into batting practice.  Now you just limit to season ticket holders?  Really not a benefit. 

Even their promotions are just about making money now.  GIve out an item and raise the ticket for those games by $20.  That isn't a promotion.  

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Maybe they shouldn't trade their marketable players.  Adam Jones, Markakis, Wieters, Britton and Hardy were marketable guys for a while.  They are gone along with Machado and Schoop.  You were left  no one marketable at last years fan fest.  So time to build new guys up.  If you are just trading everyone who is any good you will never have any fans. 

Needless to say, they won’t do that forever.    But they might do that this offseason, to acquire assets that will help them when the next group of core players gels.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m sure the analysis is more sophisticated than that.   For one thing, if you rent a convention center designed to hold 15,000+ people and 3,000 show up for your event, then you really have egg on your face.    That just generates negative publicity.    It’s not just about whether the event shows a direct profit.   Frankly, I doubt it ever did.   

When they were winning there were too many people at fan fest to make it enjoyable.  They had 8k people there last year and that seems the right size for the venue.   I have gone to boat shows, car shows and motorcycle shows at the convention center and none of them have been as crowded as Fanfest.   Get Mancini and Means out there and Elias and Hyde talking.  I mean everyone on here seems to have some sort of man-crush on Elias yet they don't mind that the Orioles have eliminated the GM /fan interactions.  Seems to be more of a whatever they do is right mentality. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

When they were winning there were too many people at fan fest to make it enjoyable.  They had 8k people there last year and that seems the right size for the venue.   I have gone to boat shows, car shows and motorcycle shows at the convention center and none of them have been as crowded as Fanfest.   Get Mancini and Means out there and Elias and Hyde talking.  I mean everyone on here seems to have some sort of man-crush on Elias yet they don't mind that the Orioles have eliminated the GM /fan interactions.  Seems to be more of a whatever they do is right mentality. 

More like a don’t judge the situation until you know what they plan to do mentality.    Offhand, I’m not real happy with them canceling Fanfest.  I’ve gone many times, and always enjoyed myself.    But, I’ll wait to see what else they do before I critique the move.    And in any event, I don’t think they’re doing it so that Elias doesn’t have to talk to fans.     

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

More like a don’t judge the situation until you know what they plan to do mentality.    Offhand, I’m not real happy with them canceling Fanfest.  I’ve gone many times, and always enjoyed myself.    But, I’ll wait to see what else they do before I critique the move.    And in any event, I don’t think they’re doing it so that Elias doesn’t have to talk to fans.     

They are probably planning to sell the team or move it.  No reason to worry about long term effects of cancelling it if you don't plan being the owner for very long. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

But there is no law saying they have to do it by holding a Fanfest.   

Also, they’re in a position where they could be marketing the very players who Elias is “marketing” for a trade.    Imagine having a big ad campaign featuring Trey Mancini, and next thing you know, he’s gone.    The O’s are particularly vulnerable to that right now with their more recognizable players.   

This is why I thought they should've pushed the "Why Not?" team for bobbleheads or other giveaways this year.  If you are afraid of trading your marketable guys for an event like FanFest, advertise Orioles Legends for the event.  Honor some team in the past or whatever.  It isn't that hard.