No Fanfest in 2020?

mdbdotcom

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Well, they’d better make an announcement and explain what they’re doing instead, before they completely lose control of the narrative.    

I completely agree. I passed along the frustration of fans who look forward to this event each year. I got the standard, “we are looking for new ways to engage fans” reply.  To me it comes across as a bad look that the club is cutting back access to the top baseball decision makers at a time when on-field performance is at an all time low.  Last year the mid-season State of the Orioles address was scrapped, and now the FanFest one will be gone too.  I hope, in the end, we come out of this rebuild with sustained success. But if we don’t, the baseball operations staff has fired some very loyal personnel and now the business side is really changing how season plan members get to hear from these people. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, RoarFrom85 said:

I completely agree. I passed along the frustration of fans who look forward to this event each year. I got the standard, “we are looking for new ways to engage fans” reply.  To me it comes across as a bad look that the club is cutting back access to the top baseball decision makers at a time when on-field performance is at an all time low.  Last year the mid-season State of the Orioles address was scrapped, and now the FanFest one will be gone too.  I hope, in the end, we come out of this rebuild with sustained success. But if we don’t, the baseball operations staff has fired some very loyal personnel and now the business side is really changing how season plan members get to hear from these people. 

All this from the guy that did an AMA on Reddit.  I for one bought into the idea that he wanted to engage more with fans.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, they’d better make an announcement and explain what they’re doing instead, before they completely lose control of the narrative.    

I  have heard they are throwing around some ideas but nothing definite.Also heard it could be back.Remembet after they made it to the playoffs they did away with the  13 game plans and went to a 20 game plan.They got enough complaints that they reinstated the 13 game plan.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

All this from the guy that did an AMA on Reddit.  I for one bought into the idea that he wanted to engage more with fans.

Wayyy too early to say all that. 

They also instituted the survey to fans to better the experience at the ballpark. Like everything else, I think this is Elias breaking things down to put his own spin on it. We're just not there yet. There's been an enormous change on the business side of the team as well. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Wayyy too early to say all that. 

They also instituted the survey to fans to better the experience at the ballpark. Like everything else, I think this is Elias breaking things down to put his own spin on it. We're just not there yet. There's been an enormous change on the business side of the team as well. 

Yes,the guy who was running it went back to Miami after less then a  year 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He wasn't an Elias hire correct?  I can see how that could be an issue for one or both of them.

No he was an Angelos son hire 

"John's senior executive experience working for some of the most iconic sports team brands and most-respected organizations across the world's top sports leagues make him the ideal choice to oversee our talented business division in further developing our Orioles and Oriole Park brands in the years to come," said JOHN ANGELOS, Orioles Executive Vice President. 

17 minutes ago, RoarFrom85 said:

As a long time season ticket holder who has paid a lot of money over the years to watch an often miserable team, fanfest was one event I could look forward to with pleasure.  My family and I attend and enjoy it.  We don't care about autographs, but always enjoy the sessions where the GM and Manager can be optimistic, some players appear, etc.  To me, it makes up for a little rebuilding pain.  I will be very disappointed if they don't have it.  I know a lot of what is said is too optimistic, but it's nice to see people on a nearby stage instead of a bunch of uniforms at a distance.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He wasn't an Elias hire correct?  I can see how that could be an issue for one or both of them.

16 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

No he was an Angelos son hire 

"John's senior executive experience working for some of the most iconic sports team brands and most-respected organizations across the world's top sports leagues make him the ideal choice to oversee our talented business division in further developing our Orioles and Oriole Park brands in the years to come," said JOHN ANGELOS, Orioles Executive Vice President. 

I don't think Elias has much say, if any, on who the Orioles hire to run their business operations.

1 hour ago, RoarFrom85 said:

1 hour ago, RoarFrom85 said:

Maybe Elias doesn't like talking to fans.  DD didn't have any issues doing the fan Q and A's.  There goes the narrative that he is more outgoing than DD. 

9 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Rays do that for their season ticket holders. I remember a long time back that the Orioles had juice,coffee and bagels and danish before 10 AM for the season ticket holders .

Season Ticket Holders will also be able to access the Republic Bank Draft Room—a club area which will feature a photo station to have their pictures taken with Rays players, complimentary refreshments and hors d’oeuvres, alumni player appearances and more. Season Ticket Holders will also receive a 15 percent discount at select concession and merchandise stands.

https://www.draysbay.com/2019/2/1/18206794/rays-announce-fan-fest-details-for-2019

https://www.draysbay.com/2019/2/1/18206794/rays-announce-fan-fest-details-for-2019

They also had Elrod walking around to the tables and gave out a Jeff Connie bobble head at breakfast too.

34 minutes ago, atomic said:

Maybe Elias doesn't like talking to fans.  DD didn't have any issues doing the fan Q and A's.  There goes the narrative that he is more outgoing than DD. 

Elias is clearly more outgoing than DD if you've ever heard either of them speak. Nothing has changed that narrative.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TAMC said:

As a long time season ticket holder who has paid a lot of money over the years to watch an often miserable team, fanfest was one event I could look forward to with pleasure.  My family and I attend and enjoy it.  We don't care about autographs, but always enjoy the sessions where the GM and Manager can be optimistic, some players appear, etc.  To me, it makes up for a little rebuilding pain.  I will be very disappointed if they don't have it.  I know a lot of what is said is too optimistic, but it's nice to see people on a nearby stage instead of a bunch of uniforms at a distance.

I completely agree.  Hate to say it but it seems like it’s definitely gone this year.  The Orioles are looking at ways to increase revenue and I’ve heard FanFest did not generate much with so many people getting complimentary tickets as season plan members.  The business side is cutting out things that don’t make money, even if they are tradition. I got that kind of response last year when I expressed frustration that the York team store was closed without any warning.

10 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Elias is clearly more outgoing than DD if you've ever heard either of them speak. Nothing has changed that narrative.

I completely agree. Difference is that ownership/management forced DD to do appearances at FanFest and State of the Orioles. While Elias is definitely more personable it seems like he has more say over anything than any GM had in the past. He has fired long time people and if he doesn’t want to do talks with season plan holders, it seems like ownership won’t force him to do so.  Last year they had to go ahead with FanFest because it was planned before he was hired. But they did scrap the mid season State of the Orioles and player autograph session. 

22 minutes ago, RoarFrom85 said:

I completely agree. Difference is that ownership/management forced DD to do appearances at FanFest and State of the Orioles. While Elias is definitely more personable it seems like he has more say over anything than any GM had in the past. He has fired long time people and if he doesn’t want to do talks with season plan holders, it seems like ownership won’t force him to do so.  Last year they had to go ahead with FanFest because it was planned before he was hired. But they did scrap the mid season State of the Orioles and player autograph session.

In my opinion it’s a huge leap to say that Elias is in any way behind any decision to cancel Fanfest or the mid-year “state of the team” talk.    Let’s just take a breath and see what they do.   Overall, it seems to me that Elias made himself available for many more interviews than Duquette ever did.   He even had a long talk with Tony.   I doubt he’s looking to avoid talking with season ticket holders.    Also, although the Q&A of the GM and manager was the highlight of Fanfest for me personally, that’s like 1% of what goes on at Fanfest.    There’s no way they’d cancel it just to avoid Elias taking some questions.