2019 #4 Prospect: Ryan Mountcastle - LF/1B

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, John Welch said:

And Tampa is believed to be interested.

They'll have a few pitchers I'd be happy to take for Mancini. 

If Tampa wants Mancini and is willing to part with pitching, then by all means, you bet, charge on. He would definitely be an upgrade over Gi Man Choi, but I’m curious as to what the Rays would give up for him. They have smart guys in the FO.

Let me stress, by the way, that I’m not against Trey, not at all, I like him a lot. I just don’t think he has that much trade value. I’d be happy to be wrong, and I would applaud a successful trade.

36 minutes ago, Philip said:

If Tampa wants Mancini and is willing to part with pitching, then by all means, you bet, charge on. He would definitely be an upgrade over Gi Man Choi, but I’m curious as to what the Rays would give up for him. They have smart guys in the FO.

Let me stress, by the way, that I’m not against Trey, not at all, I like him a lot. I just don’t think he has that much trade value. I’d be happy to be wrong, and I would applaud a successful trade.

Who are the current Rays brain team?

Just now, Philip said:

No clue, but they’ve got a successful recent history, and always seem to be chock full’o pitching.

I would assume they would be poachable. Florida is not great in the summer. So I assume we could have any of them we would like for a price. 

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

No clue, but they’ve got a successful recent history, and always seem to be chock full’o pitching.

Their success stems from trading off all of their valuable assets with two years of control no matter the position in the standings come the deadline. It's a bold strategy. They have stuck to it as well. Rarely are they seen in the Free Agent market other than the bargain bin. 

Just now, weams said:

Their success stems from trading off all of their valuable assets with two years of control no matter the position in the standings come the deadline. It's a bold strategy. They have stuck to it as well. Rarely are they seen in the Free Agent market other than the bargain bin. 

No Nelson Cruz or Alex Cobbs for them. 

Saw the number of pages on this thread already and assumed it was all bashing on Mountcastle but it's actually... a debate over Mancini's trade value? Gotta love OH. I remember 2 years ago I ended up in a multi-page argument over who was more likely to have a bat that could carry in spite of defensive concerns: Mountcastle or Sisco. I took Mountcastle. I'll wait until he performs well in Baltimore before patting myself on the back too much. 

I'm excited about Mountcastle. He can mash. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, weams said:

1 hour ago, weams said:

I actually Don’t have a problem with that strategy. Trade your players at the peak of the value. Remember, Tampa has been pretty successful even though they never have a single digit draft pick, they keep their costs low and they make trades that bring in guys like Tyler Glasnow. And they always seem to have pitching quality and depth.

They’ve never won a World Series, but they are consistently a solid team.

I do understand your point, and I partly agree with it, but it’s really easy to make expensive mistakes when you’re signing high dollar free agents.

• Upvote 1

Back to Mountcastle:

This is my first personal divergence from the OH list.

I would have Mountcastle below Hays and Diaz.

I have no faith in Mountcastle to provide any defensive or baserunning value.

I like the bat- don't love it- mainly for the well-hashed concern over his plate discipline.

It's very difficult to project any minor leaguer to be a consistent .300 hitter in the majors.  As a bat-only first baseman without ob skills, he's going to have to hit .300 to be an above average regular.

I think he has a higher floor than the two mentioned earlier, but I think he has a lower ceiling.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Back to Mountcastle:

This is my first personal divergence from the OH list.

I would have Mountcastle below Hays and Diaz.

I have no faith in Mountcastle to provide any defensive or baserunning value.

I like the bat- don't love it- mainly for the well-hashed concern over his plate discipline.

It's very difficult to project any minor leaguer to be a consistent .300 hitter in the majors.  As a bat-only first baseman without ob skills, he's going to have to hit .300 to be an above average regular.

I think he has a higher floor than the two mentioned earlier, but I think he has a lower ceiling.

Average defense and no baserunning does not a failed big bat make. 

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Back to Mountcastle:

Oh, he might hit 350!