Trade Bait 2020

ScGO's

On 11/6/2019 at 1:08 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, but I don't even know if it's allowed.  I'm not entirely sure a MLB team can sell a contract to another league, and even if they can probably not without the player's consent.

The contract is with MLB.  Not a completely separate, independent league.  Lawyers and agents would have to get pretty creative to pull this off.  But I think it's worth it for the complete absurdity of it all.  How can you not love a place where you take a guy who didn't bat for four years and suddenly hits like Barry Bonds?  It would be a perversely perfect bookend for Chris Davis' weird career.

If I were Davis I would jump at this.  He would preserve what's left of his major league legacy, still get paid the same money, and he could enjoy going to the ball park again.  And what if he led the Sante Fe Fuego to the Pecos league championship?  

59 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Trading with NYY makes a lot of sense. Villar is a Didi replacement. Givens is a Betances replacement. Villar and Givens would offer cheaper options in terms of dollars, which could be valuable if they sign Cole. 

Yankees will do better than Villar at SS.  Maybe Lindor.   The real question is will anyone offer Elias real value for Villar and Givens this off season or will he have to wait until July in hopes that they have good years and someone  offers value.   In Villar case, as his contract is paid down during the season is trade value may go up if someone need him.

12 hours ago, wildcard said:

Yankees will do better than Villar at SS.  Maybe Lindor.   The real question is will anyone offer Elias real value for Villar and Givens this off season or will he have to wait until July in hopes that they have good years and someone  offers value.   In Villar case, as his contract is paid down during the season is trade value may go up if someone need him.

We’re not going to get the moon and the stars but I see NYY, OAK, CINN, CLEV as possible landing spots. Villar would look real nice atop the A’s lineup. 

It’s probably best to hold onto Givens till the deadline. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Pedro Severino might be an underrated trade chip.  Catching depth in the MLB is always at a premium.  13 homers last year, .812 OPS vs LHP.  He was thought to be just a catch and throw guy.  He's only 26 with lots of club control left.  Could we sell high, or did he turn a corner?

If Severino gets traded, I don't see it happening during the off season, with the free agents out there.

If a team loses its starter during the Spring, then he could be a trade option.

58 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Villar is an alternative to Didi Gregorious.  Severino is an alternative to Robinson Chirnos.  SS and C are premium positions.  The market might be better than what we think.  

Chirinos is a free agent. A team could get him on a MiLB deal with a Spring Training invite, instead of dedicating a 40 man spot to Severino.

43 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Chirinos is a free agent. A team could get him on a MiLB deal with a Spring Training invite, instead of dedicating a 40 man spot to Severino.

You might need to check into that more.  Chirnos is coming off a 3.8 WAR season.  MLBTR has Chirnos projected for 2/10, and he's going to be 36.  I think that projection for him might be a little light.  That's backup money now.  Some team will pay him starter money.  I would not be surprised to see him get something like 2/16 or 2/18.  

Point being, Severino could be a cheaper (money wise) alternative than Chirnos.  Possibly even a direct replacement for Chirnos in Hou.  The Reds, Rangers, Astros, and Mets, are all listed as possible destinations for Chirnos.  

All I'm saying is we might get a better than expected offer for Severino, and he hasn't really been mentioned much around here as a trade chip.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You might need to check into that more.  Chirnos is coming off a 3.8 WAR season.  MLBTR has Chirnos projected for 2/10, and he's going to be 36.  I think that projection for him might be a little light.  That's backup money now.  Some team will pay him starter money.  I would not be surprised to see him get something like 2/16 or 2/18.  

Point being, Severino could be a cheaper (money wise) alternative than Chirnos.  Possibly even a direct replacement for Chirnos in Hou.  The Reds, Rangers, Astros, and Mets, are all listed as possible destinations for Chirnos.  

All I'm saying is we might get a better than expected offer for Severino, and he hasn't really been mentioned much around here as a trade chip.  

3 of those teams aren't like the other. Severino, at best, might get a "Player To Be Named Later", with some International money, like De Leon did today for the Rays.

All I'm saying is, even if he does get traded, there is no prospect coming back. At best, some teams A League excess.

On 11/21/2019 at 2:08 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

Pedro Severino might be an underrated trade chip.  Catching depth in the MLB is always at a premium.  13 homers last year, .812 OPS vs LHP.  He was thought to be just a catch and throw guy.  He's only 26 with lots of club control left.  Could we sell high, or did he turn a corner?

Severino has 5 years of control left.  He's cheap and did all the solid things you listed above.  Could be an ideal back up for Rutch one day.  It will be interesting to see what type of season he has this year.

On 11/23/2019 at 10:23 AM, ScGO's said:

Severino has 5 years of control left.  He's cheap and did all the solid things you listed above.  Could be an ideal back up for Rutch one day.  It will be interesting to see what type of season he has this year.

The Catching market is moving.  D'Arnaud and Grandal with slightly bigger deals than expected.  Zunino was tendered.  Chirnos, Maldanado, and Castro are basically what's left on the C market.  Severino could have sneaky trade value because he's so cheap.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Catching market is moving.  D'Arnaud and Grandal with slightly bigger deals than expected.  Zunino was tendered.  Chirnos, Maldanado, and Castro are basically what's left on the C market.  Severino could have sneaky trade value because he's so cheap.  

You might say it was a C minus free agent catcher group after Grandal.  D'Arnaud was ranked #2 by some, and he was released by the Mets and I think the Dodgers early last season.  I agree that the O's catchers could have more trade value than people here seem to think. 

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

You might say it was a C minus free agent catcher group after Grandal.  D'Arnaud was ranked #2 by some, and he was released by the Mets and I think the Dodgers early last season.  I agree that the O's catchers could have more trade value than people here seem to think. 

I'm sure one of them would bring back a big return.

• Haha 1