Astros Stealing Signs in 2017

TonySoprano

3 hours ago, weams said:

Cora and Hinch declined to comment. Beltrán, in a text message, said the Astros did nothing wrong.

“We took a lot of pride studying pitchers in the computer – that is the only technology that I use and I understand,” Beltrán said. “It was fun seeing guys get to the ballpark to look for little details.

“(In) the game of baseball, guys for years have given location and if the catchers get lazy and the pitcher doesn’t cover the signs from second base, of course players are going to take advantage.

“I don’t call that cheating. I call that using the small details to take advantage. I think baseball is doing a great job adding new technology to make sure the game is even for both teams.”

My recollection is that Astroball discussed at some length how Beltran was very good at studying pitchers and picking up “tells” of what a pitcher was going to throw. I don’t have a problem with that.    If electronic sign stealing was going on, that’s something else entirely.   

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Reading the comments, Gausman is getting a lot of pushback. 

It's Twitter, so pushback is the norm. I think in general, this looks really bad for the Astros. They're obviously very talented, but it discredits anything they accomplished to a lot of people, much like Brady/Belichick are forever labeled as cheaters.

8 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Is there a written rule that Houston broke? It’s bush league, but did they break a rule?

I do not think there was one in 2017 but I believe now there is. And the general conciseness is they were doing it this year as well.  Either way there should be a harsh punishment. 

Here is a game in which they were doing it against the Orioles. You could def. hear it in the 2nd inning

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, andrewochs615 said:

I do not think there was one in 2017 but I believe now there is. And the general conciseness is they were doing it this year as well.  Either way there should be a harsh punishment. 

Here is a game in which they were doing it against the Orioles. You could def. hear it in the 2nd inning

I heard a horn on two pitches to the first two hitters in the inning, but I can’t say whether or not that was anything other than a boisterous fan.

What struck me was how consistently awful Jim Hunter is. He doesn’t get any better over time, or with distance from original date. 

He was stupefied to see an Astros fan and an Orioles fan walking together before the game. Really? MLB should really do something about boring announcers. Stealing signs? Meh....

I think people should calm their outrage until we know the extent of this behavior. It's very possible this is widespread and at the very least the Astros aren't the only team being accused of this. My instinct is this is more on the MLB for lack of specificity and enforcement of rules.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I think people should calm their outrage until we know the extent of this behavior. It's very possible this is widespread and at the very least the Astros aren't the only team being accused of this. My instinct is this is more on the MLB for lack of specificity and enforcement of rules.

Exactly. I’m guessing it is widespread. MLB doesn’t really care and it’s only become an issue with discovery.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Brewers and Rangers have been mentioned