Rule 5 thoughts

Roll Tide

11 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

@Luke-OH What are your thoughts on Buddy Reed CF (Padres AA) and Jose Fermin SS (Indians A-)?

For me, Reed fills the back up CF role and is a switch hitter with some offensive upside left due to his relative inexperience and constant swing changes in his 3.5 professional years. Every report I have read says he plays an excellent CF. I saw him play a lot at UF with Richie Martin. Premium athleticism, size and attitude. He may be a guy that just needs an organization change, and he is from Baltimore originally (not that it really has any bearing). 

Fermin is the son of Felix Fermin. Solid defensively according to one report I read in BA. Low A player with solid idea of the strike zone, but does not drive the ball much. Certainly should be over matched in a large role, but is he capable of filling a bench role? I would only consider him as a second round pick, but perhaps worth a flyer?

Great names

I haven’t looked at Fermin much yet, because I saw enough potential and bat control to throw him on my short list of potential stashes.

Reed is going to be fairly high on my list because like you put very well, premium athlete, up the middle defense. Probably not going to hit, doesn’t have the bat control, but there is some power if he does figure it out. I had him on a initial list of ten interesting players I tweeted so I definitely like him.

Here’s that list, I’ve soured on Sheffield, and have found some others who belong towards the top. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Some more obscure names I like if you want to look them up or have questions.

Stephen Alemais

Hever Bueno

Sam Clay

Trevor Megill

John Nogowski (not a fit for the O’s but a favorite nonetheless)

Can Alemais play short?

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

Like a freaking wizard

thats hyperbole, but he is a very good defender there.

I like Bueno and Megill but you've said before Elias is likely to look up the middle and I think Alemais could be a choice. Coming off injury? Just 12 games in '19. Not much power.

1 minute ago, 7Mo said:

I like Bueno and Megill but you've said before Elias is likely to look up the middle and I think Alemais could be a choice. Coming off injury? Just 12 games in '19. Not much power.

Shoulder injury, had surgery, started hitting a few weeks ago. Plus makeup from what I’ve heard. Not a lot of tools at the plate but has worked really hard on it and has managed to hold his own throughout his time in the minors.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Shoulder injury, had surgery, started hitting a few weeks ago. Plus makeup from what I’ve heard. Not a lot of tools at the plate but has worked really hard on it and has managed to hold his own throughout his time in the minors.

3rd round pick, doesn't strike out. Plus makeup is worth a lot.

He hit .279 with 16 doubles and 4 triples in the Eastern league in '18. Any idea how that projects in MLB next year? Can he hold his own?

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

This guy would be a wasted selection IMO

13 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Ljay Newsome, RHP  is a guy from Seattle with 70 rated control 150 inning between A and AA. 155 innings 151 hits 169 Ks and only 17 walks. His stuff is average 50 FB, 55 Slider, 45 Curveball.

I mentioned him a couple pages back or on the minor forum version of this discussion and he’s pretty interesting. He’s kind of like a RH Lowther, with a little less secondary stuff. The arm action is whippy and deceptive.

25 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Just now, Luke-OH said:

That’s your opinion, care to expand on why you feel that way?

"Injury and not a lot of tools are good places to start."

Was it his throwing shoulder? That would be reason 3.

A year of inactivity ...readiness to produce at the majors

28 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

3rd round pick, doesn't strike out. Plus makeup is worth a lot.

He hit .279 with 16 doubles and 4 triples in the Eastern league in '18. Any idea how that projects in MLB next year? Can he hold his own?

He’s got a better eye than Martin and isn’t as much of an extreme GB guy, less bat speed, but less swing and miss as well. He’s not going to hit well, but a Jose Iglesias type bat is very possible. 

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

He’s got a better eye than Martin and isn’t as much of an extreme GB guy, less bat speed, but less swing and miss as well. He’s not going to hit well, but a Jose Iglesias type bat is very possible. 

Thanks. Combined with the "wizard at short", that sounds very intriguing to me. I'd be happy giving that guy a chance.

21 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

"Injury and not a lot of tools are good places to start."

Was it his throwing shoulder? That would be reason 3.

A year of inactivity ...readiness to produce at the majors

He might have been the best defensive middle infielder in the minors in 2018, the Orioles don’t have a SS, that’s enough reason for me. No tools at the plate guys with good eyes/approaches make it work sometimes. It was his throwing shoulder, the good thing about the Rule 5 is if it doesn’t work out, it’s really low risk, so you can take a chance on a guy like this, he’d likely be on a 40 by now if he hadn’t missed the year.

But really it comes back to is there a better option defensively at SS available? 

• Like 2