Villar Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas

weams

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Be that as it may I don't see the relevance of stating what payroll was under Peter when Peter is no longer setting payroll.

It was a response to the other poster saying the family didn’t have deep enough pockets.

They have them ... but as mentioned they don’t need them based on the math that I provided in my past.

1 minute ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Nothing prohibits her from letting the sons run the team.  One of them needs to be selected as the ownership representative to MLB, however.  Same thing is done with the Lerner family due to Ted's age.  

Ted formally turned over the reins to his son, but he is seen in public fairly frequently and appears to be in decent health and of sound mind.     Last I checked, the O’s still had not replaced Peter as the formal team rep (MLB requires every team to have a single rep), but he hasn’t appeared publicly in years and nobody really knows his exact health situation or mental condition.    It seems to be a closely guarded secret.    Why they’re so secretive about it is unclear.    

This trade is BS.  Jonathan Villar is a good player, probably the Orioles' best player last season.  I'd be fine with trading him for a real prospect, but apparently nobody wanted him badly enough to offer a real prospect.  If nobody wants to give up a real propsect for him, then fine, you keep him and let him produce for you, and maybe someone will need an upgrade at next year's trade deadline.   

Instead the O's trade him for the proverbial bag of balls, even though they don't have an advanced prospect waiting to take his job, just because they don't want to pay a fair market salary for a decent ballplayer.   

This trade won't help the O's win games next year and it won't help the O's win games in the future.  This is not a rebuilding trade.  It is a "Save the Angelos family some money" trade.  Total BS.  

Just now, Three Run Homer said:

This trade is BS.  Jonathan Villar is a good player, probably the Orioles' best player last season.  I'd be fine with trading him for a real prospect, but apparently nobody wanted him badly enough to offer a real prospect.  If nobody wants to give up a real propsect for him, then fine, you keep him and let him produce for you, and maybe someone will need an upgrade at next year's trade deadline.   

Instead the O's trade him for the proverbial bag of balls, even though they don't have an advanced prospect waiting to take his job, just because they don't want to pay a fair market salary for a decent ballplayer.   

This trade won't help the O's win games next year and it won't help the O's win games in the future.  This is not a rebuilding trade.  It is a "Save the Angelos family some money" trade.  Total BS.  

If MLB as a whole thought it was a fair market salary for him the O's would have received a stronger return on the trade.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

If we trade him at the deadline this season, we're getting the exact same player. 

Just now, interloper said:

Where do we think Easton starts this year? Frederick? 

I doubt that.    Delmarva had a very strong staff this year and almost all of them will be promoted to Frederick.   No room there for Easton, who will compete for a spot in the Delmarva rotation, I expect.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

As someone said earlier, the Orioles have a 0% chance of making the playoffs next year, with or without Villar.  There's no reason to pay someone that amount of money if he doesn't move the needle towards postseason play.  

I don't know who'd all of a sudden trade a "real prospect" for him at the deadline next year.  I don't think it works that way.  

Jonathan Villar is a good player, I liked him.  He was fun to watch.  "I'm buying a ticket to go see Jonathan Villar play," said no one ever.  The results for the 2020 Orioles will be the same without him as they would with him.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I say Delmarva.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I doubt that.    Delmarva had a very strong staff this year and almost all of them will be promoted to Frederick.   No room there for Easton, who will compete for a spot in the Delmarva rotation, I expect.   

Makes sense. He feels awfully old for Delmarva though. But won't turn 24 until the end of the season.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Makes sense. He feels awfully old for Delmarva though. But won't turn 24 until the end of the season.

He’s a bit old, but he’s also inexperienced.    Maybe if he shines at Delmarva they move him to Frederick during the season, but I think he’ll have to earn it.