Middle Infield, Addison Russell and the Redemption Song

Tony-OH

I believe no one should be denied the opportunity to make a living. But when a major league ballplayer hurts another person physically, I think their next opportunity should be in a lower league - affiliated minor leagues or independent league - so they can prove themselves and work their way back to the top. Suspension followed by demotion. I think that's fair.

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I believe no one should be denied the opportunity to make a living. But when a major league ballplayer hurts another person physically, I think their next opportunity should be in a lower league - affiliated minor leagues or independent league - so they can prove themselves and work their way back to the top. Suspension followed by demotion. I think that's fair.

So you think he should be able to play for the 2020 Orioles. ?

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not going to get into this here with you on this because we are getting into politics an that's a no-no here.

Kaepernick is a has been,  he doesnt have the talent to continue to complete at the NFL level, so he taken other steps to keep his name on people's tongues and playing the blame game.

My opinion has ZERO to do with his political views.

Back to the thread topic.

Villar was fun to watch and root for, while here.

But, 1/2 a season, does justify 10 mil for an offensive only player. IMO

8 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I would want someone like Russell to show me he’s a changed person when the allure of millions in compensation is off the table.

Be a role model, a DV spokesperson, community involved, interested father, loving husband, etc when people aren’t watching. 

Yes, it's easy to say all the right things when you think your means of making millions might be in danger of going away. Actions speak louder than words. 

• Upvote 1

I think everyone has different opinions on these things because of things that have happened in their own lives.   I don't think it is fair to criticize harshly someone because of their views on the subject.  

Addison Russell is a public figure and that opens him up to judgement by people who don't know him personally.   We are fans of the team and we have feelings about what type of players we associate with.

I know Can of Corn had issues with Delmon Young for his actions before becoming an Oriole. I was for forgiving Delmon but I didn't criticize Can of Corn for not feeling the same way.   Can of Corn turned out to be correct about the situation as Delmon had another incident.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

The Orioles certainly wouldn’t lose any fans by signing Russell.

All of the old season ticket holders tore up their tickets over the Villar thing last week already. They all posted on this forum about it too.

The O's will lose more fans by signing Russell than they did by letting some guy named Villar go. Most fans weren't even paying attention while Villar was having a good year last year. They'd pay attention if the O's signed a domestic abuser.

That's not my opinion on whether they should, it's just my opinion that they would.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't understand this line of thinking at all.. If you agree with the cold heartless approach of getting rid of good players in their prime to support their "strategic vision" then you need to get behind them acquiring anyone who can help further that strategic vision.

Addison Russel is a 26-year old SS with an upside. If he can rebuild his swing and hit well with the Orioles, he has value to this team in either the future or through potential trade flip.

Also, I don't see how Russell would be a nightmare PR move. Are their Orioles fans out there that are not going to support the team if he's acquired? Are you against people getting second chances when their actions and behaviors all indicate that he's "rehabilitated". If Hyde is ok with the move, does that make it easier for you to swallow? 

I'm sorry Tony, but I respectfully disagree. Not overpaying a player coming off a career year and signing a domestic abuser aren't even close to being the same thing. And regardless of whether or not you think it would be a PR nightmare it's simply not the right thing to do. Some things are bigger than baseball. 

• Upvote 1