The Elias era so far

interloper

No doubt Elias has been busy.    It’s his organization at this point.    

I plan to spend 2020 mostly focused on how our minor leaguers are developing.     When watching the O’s I’ll mostly just be focused on a few players who might still be here in 2022-23 or who might bring us a solid return in a trade.    I thought this quote from Elias was pretty interesting:

“I think that ultimately we may see many of those rotation spots hopefully inhabited by guys who are already in the organization, that were either in Triple-A last year or are going to be in Triple-A for the first time,” Elias said.

“I think we’re having some pitchers starting to knock on the door to the big leagues that we view as starting pitcher prospects in our system, but we don’t want to rush them and we also don’t know if and when they’re going to be ready, so we do plan on supplementing our core of starting pitcher candidates outside the organization this winter. Whether it’s major league free agency or minor league free agency, I think we’re going to be bringing in some competition for the rotation so that we’re not in a situation where we’re having to do something to one of our prospects that’s not best for his development.”    https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/12/elias-on-trading-bundy-the-return-and-what-could-follow.html

That sounds to me like Kremer and Zimmermann could make their debuts in 2020.     That will be interesting to me.   We’ll certainly see Akin fairly early on, if he’s healthy.   

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No doubt Elias has been busy.    It’s his organization at this point.    

I plan to spend 2020 mostly focused on how our minor leaguers are developing.     When watching the O’s I’ll mostly just be focused on a few players who might still be here in 2022-23 or who might bring us a solid return in a trade.    I thought this quote from Elias was pretty interesting:

“I think that ultimately we may see many of those rotation spots hopefully inhabited by guys who are already in the organization, that were either in Triple-A last year or are going to be in Triple-A for the first time,” Elias said.

“I think we’re having some pitchers starting to knock on the door to the big leagues that we view as starting pitcher prospects in our system, but we don’t want to rush them and we also don’t know if and when they’re going to be ready, so we do plan on supplementing our core of starting pitcher candidates outside the organization this winter. Whether it’s major league free agency or minor league free agency, I think we’re going to be bringing in some competition for the rotation so that we’re not in a situation where we’re having to do something to one of our prospects that’s not best for his development.”    https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/12/elias-on-trading-bundy-the-return-and-what-could-follow.html

That sounds to me like Kremer and Zimmermann could make their debuts in 2020.     That will be interesting to me.   We’ll certainly see Akin fairly early on, if he’s healthy.   

This is where I am. I was hoping to see an influx of minor leaguers (at the MLB level) at the start of the season, but in hindsight that probably wasn't a very realistic expectation. If Hays, Mountcastle and maybe 1 or 2 young arms make the opening day lineup I'll be happy. Then hopefully we'll have some late season call ups that show promise as well. Next year is when I really want to see the shift from replacement level players to  prospects at the MLB level start to happen. Even if that doesn't equate to wins it will at least give me an opportunity to invest in the players and root for the future. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I did give a hat tip to that thread and don't intend for this thread to take over that one. Just kind of a round-up after the first full year.

Works for me.   I think that thread is really meant as a place to collect news about recent hires etc., rather than as a place for discussion about general progress.    So I don’t see this as redundant even though much of the information in the OP is found in the other thread as well.     

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This is where I am. I was hoping to see an influx of minor leaguers (at the MLB level) at the start of the season, but in hindsight that probably wasn't a very realistic expectation. If Hays, Mountcastle and maybe 1 or 2 young arms make the opening day lineup I'll be happy. Then hopefully we'll have some late season call ups that show promise as well. Next year is when I really want to see the shift from replacement level players to  prospects at the MLB level start to happen. Even if that doesn't equate to wins it will at least give me an opportunity to invest in the players and root for the future. 

I’m not too focused on the OD roster.    It’s perfectly OK with me if Mountcastle and Akin start the year at Norfolk.    But, I’d certainly hope to see them before too long.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Works for me.   I think that thread is really meant as a place to collect news about recent hires etc., rather than as a place for discussion about general progress.    So I don’t see this as redundant even though much of the information in the OP is found in the other thread as well.     

I just like to dork out over progress. It's like driving by a construction site every day and taking note of how it progresses. 

I don't think any GM in Orioles history has done so much in less than one year. It's seriously impressive when you look at it as a whole because it's not just hiring replacements, it's creating entire new departments and determining how they interact with each other.

My other point in creating this thread was to speculate on what we see in Year 2, which as I said, I think will be much heavier on development and actually utilizing all the things that were put in place in Year 1.