Do you approve of the Villar for Easton trade?

Frobby

Do you approve of the Villar trade?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of the Villar trade?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/21/19 at 21:20

Before we traded Villar for Easton, I ran a poll asking if people approved of putting Villar on waivers (which was reported at the time) and/or DFAing him.    58% of the voters said no.   

Now that we know what actually went down, do you approve of the Villar for Easton trade?    No need to give a narrative response, since this was already discussed exhaustively in other threads.    I just like having these poll threads to look back on after the fact, so please vote.    

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Before we traded Villar for Easton, I ran a poll asking if people approved of putting Villar on waivers (which was reported at the time) and/or DFAing him.    58% of the voters said no.   

Now that we know what actually went down, do you approve of the Villar for Easton trade?    No need to give a narrative response, since this was already discussed exhaustively in other threads.    I just like having these poll threads to look back on after the fact, so please vote.    

No

If Villar has another 3.5-4.0 WAR season it will look really bad. If the Marlins trade him at the deadline for considerably more it will look even worse IMO.

If he produces the Streamer 1.8 WAR or less, I might be willing to reconsider my position

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know Frobby. 

9 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

It seems as the option I preferred was not really an option, so getting something is better than nothing. 

Obviously I would have rather watched Villar be a part of next seasons team rather than a straight non tender.

This is where I'm at as well.  Maybe I'm short sighted, but for me, Easton Lucas is not worth the price of losing Villar's entertainment value and what he will bring to make this summer at least a bit more bearable. 

My problem isn’t that Villar was traded, it’s that the person they received appears to be an organizational player.  If the front office sees him as a potential major leaguer then I would feel differently.  If they didn’t intend to get someone good I would prefer a AAAA middle infielder.

42 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

My problem isn’t that Villar was traded, it’s that the person they received appears to be an organizational player.  If the front office sees him as a potential major leaguer then I would feel differently.  If they didn’t intend to get someone good I would prefer a AAAA middle infielder.

Perhaps another guy they could keep a season or two and flip. That’s a great idea except they usually cost more than the minimum due to arbitration 

I didn’t like the process. I believe they put an artificial obstacle in their way ( non-tender deadline) which reduced their leverage.  The absolute worst case scenario with tendering a contract would be 1/6 of his awarded salary. With free agency proceeding slowly, again,  I would assume his market will heat up once the big contracts are settled.

17 minutes ago, Larry18 said:

I didn’t like the process. I believe they put an artificial obstacle in their way ( non-tender deadline) which reduced their leverage.  The absolute worst case scenario with tendering a contract would be 1/6 of his awarded salary. With free agency proceeding slowly, again,  I would assume his market will heat up once the big contracts are settled.

That is 1.7 million you would just be tossing.  I'm against that. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

No

If Villar has another 3.5-4.0 WAR season it will look really bad. If the Marlins trade him at the deadline for considerably more it will look even worse IMO.

If he produces the Streamer 1.8 WAR or less, I might be willing to reconsider my position

Roll Tide is correct that there are possible outcomes where the trade would appear in hindsight to have not worked out, and possible outcomes where the trade would appear to have worked out.  I think that is pretty much true of all trades.  

What I'm in favor of is Elias having a definitive plan and sticking to that plan.  Will every move he makes definitely work out?  Probably not.  I, for one, am going to try not to agonize over each and every step along the way.  He said from the get go that it will be a process and that not every move will be easy.

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Roll Tide is correct that there are possible outcomes where the trade would appear in hindsight to have not worked out, and possible outcomes where the trade would appear to have worked out.  I think that is pretty much true of all trades.  

What I'm in favor of is Elias having a definitive plan and sticking to that plan.  Will every move he makes definitely work out?  Probably not.  I, for one, am going to try not to agonize over each and every step along the way.  He said from the get go that it will be a process and that not every move will be easy.

We agree and there is little benefit to dwelling on it.

But I’m thoroughly unsatisfied with the Villar deal. For me personally the only statement that applies to me personally is my last about him underperforming next year.

Even then I think Schoop played and produced well here because he liked it and was comfortable here. He really hasn’t been good since he left.

People can say that baseball is just a business and there is no human element. Personally I disagree .... To some guys it doesn’t matter but others it almost has to