Manfred "Baltimore is a Viable Baseball Market" Plus MASN issues

Roll Tide

Just now, OsEatAlEast said:

This made me smile a little bit. Kind of like the feeling I had when Baltimore got the Stallions of the CFL. This thread is kind of out there. But it the Orioles ever do relocate to another state. I will stop watching MLB guaranteed. So I'd be buying some tickets to see said Atlantic League team.

Loved going to Stallions games with my son, Eddie.  He was about 12 years-old at the time.  I was ranting about something one game and the guy sitting in front of us looks back at Ed and asks, "is he always this bad?"  Eddie looks at the guy and says, "you should see him at Orioles games, he gets a lot worse than this."  Little bugger.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

We don't do religion and politics at the Hangout.  I think climate change qualifies as both.  

It's not either, its fact, and I would be happy to discuss it in another thread, but its not topical for this thread.

As for this thread while I think this level of cynicism regarding the Orioles is overblown I have found myself to becoming an incredibly cynical baseball fan in general and that is not entirely tied to the state of the Orioles.  MLB has some significant economic/competitive/rules flaws right now and a lot of people are sitting here like everything is okay with this game.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

This made me smile a little bit. Kind of like the feeling I had when Baltimore got the Stallions of the CFL. This thread is kind of out there. But it the Orioles ever do relocate to another state. I will stop watching MLB guaranteed. So I'd be buying some tickets to see said Atlantic League team.

I may be the only person who would have preferred the CFL Colts/Stallions to the Ravens.  Every time I flip through the channels and see the CFL on I'll check to see if Montreal is playing, and I'll remind my boys that that's really Baltimore's team.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hit4TheCycle said:

No way the Nats could have afforded both.   But of course the Nats are going to trade for Kris Bryant.   O's are doomed and Nats are the O's daddy.

The Nationals won't be able to put together the top package for Bryant with a bottom five farm system.

36 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

MLB has some significant economic/competitive/rules flaws right now and a lot of people are sitting here like everything is okay with this game.

I don't disagree, but I also don't see how baseball can solve it's economic and competitiveness problems.  Most of that is rooted in a very long history of how business has been done.  In order to fix the problems in any real way you have to make 1/3rd or more of MLB teams give up substantial revenue or competitive advantages for the greater good.  How do you get the Yankees and Dodgers and Cubs and Cardinals and others to willingly slide down to a level on par with the Brewers or the Pirates?  Do you compensate their owners for the substantial loss in franchise value?

I think we're stuck with huge revenue imbalances until/if such time that shared sources like MLBAM become the dominant revenue stream in the game.

Now rules... they can change rules.  Although even there they risk alienating the 30-50% of the fanbase who see any changes to the rules as breaking the sport completely.  See: the folks who view the relatively minor change implementing the DH in the same way die hard Catholics look at Martin Luther.

32 minutes ago, weams said:

Science is science. Mass is mass. How to tickle the masses is always the opiate.

While I do think climate change is very real. Things like the medieval warm period and the Maunder minimum leave major questions as to the catalyst of said climate change.

Edited by OsEatAlEast
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsEatAlEast said:

While I do think climate change is very real. Things like the medieval warm period and the Mondur minimum leave major questions as to the catalyst of said climate change.

Many people question those things. The change is real.