Manfred "Baltimore is a Viable Baseball Market" Plus MASN issues

Roll Tide

Manfred's quote on the situation:

“Whether or not there’s an All-Star Game depends on whether Baltimore gets organized and submits a bid that would be compelling for an All-Star Game, just like any other team.”

I'd imagine an All-State Game bid is similar to a Super Bowl or Olympics bid - it goes beyond just saying "we'll open the gates and you can play the game." There's plenty of considerations about hotels and lodging, organizing all of the celebrations and events, handling the influx of people that come to the games, setting up things in the Inner Harbor, etc.

It's likely something that the Orioles and the Baltimore City government would have to collaborate on together. I love Baltimore, I live in the city, and plan on living here a long time - but the city can't keep a mayor and has a ton of issues. Peter Angelos' unfortunate health issues likely caused some organizational issues internally within the Orioles.

I could totally see them being unable to put together a strong bid for the All-Star Game the last few years.

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are thinking of the World Cup.

It is kind of hard to top awarding the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.  Zero history of organized soccer, repressive government, limited tourist infrastructure that severely restricts sales of alcohol, it's 120 degrees when you normally hold the tournament so you had to blow up the entire soccer schedule for that year, and the new stadiums are/were basically built with indentured servants in horrific conditions and low pay, and the bribes were huge and all but in the open. 

It would be like holding the Super Bowl in Sudan in July because the despotic ruler gave Roger Goodell $100 million.

• Upvote 2