Chance Adams?

shaggyjay

9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

So Adams has above average fastball spin, but terrible spin efficiency, so it moves less than it should.

He has elite curveball spin, but the spin axis for his curveball is more similar to a slider than a true curveball, so it limits the effectiveness of the pitch. 

There are definitely some attributes that are interesting and he'd be worth a claim to try and fix these issues I mentioned above, but at his present velocity range, I'm not sure if I'd give up much in the way of a waiver trade to get him if that's necessary. 

Two things I just saw about Adams... One, he had an elbow spur removed before the 2018 season. Two, the dude is jacked.

Rankings don’t guarantee success, but at one point this guy was one of the best prospects in baseball, and as a precious poster pointed out, was rumored to be in a Potential Machado deal. He was one of the best pitchers in the international league at 23, look at his batting avg against. Then he has surgery that offseason to remove a bone spur. That probably limited his offseason work. When you’re a Yankees SP, and you struggle just a bit, you fall out of favor real quick. The Yankees will give their position players chances, but they usually go with “proven” vet FA SP, as they are always “competing”. 

Looks like the dude just needs a chance. Plus a potential Chance to Chance battery. 

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think I’ll be able to sleep at night.   

Near 2 WHIP in 33 MLB innings last year. Had mediocre numbers at AAA 4.5-5.0 ERA the last 2 years. I wonder would happen because his highest ERA before that in 2017 was 3.04. I wonder if he was injured or something.

11 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Near 2 WHIP in 33 MLB innings last year. Had mediocre numbers at AAA 4.5-5.0 ERA the last 2 years. I wonder would happen because his highest ERA before that in 2017 was 3.04. I wonder if he was injured or something.

Lost significant velocity after bone spurs were removed from his elbow as others have posted. 

That's a huge factor.

The two pitch design issues I mentioned are definitely limiting as well. If the velocity doesn't come back (which looks to be the case), he'll need to make up for it by improving movement quality of his pitches. 

Just now, Luke-OH said:

Lost significant velocity after bone spurs were removed from his elbow as others have posted. 

That's a huge factor.

The two pitch design issues I mentioned are definitely limiting as well. If the velocity doesn't come back (which looks to be the case), he'll need to make up for it by improving movement quality of his pitches. 

Thanks for the info....I see no reason to pick him up.

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Bone spur removed late in the 2017 season. Apparently he was pitching through it, while also throwing a career high in IP that season. So that explains the numbers drop. The Yankees don’t have the time to see if the dude can get back to who he was in 2017. We do though. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bone spur removed late in the 2017 season. Apparently he was pitching through it, while also throwing a career high in IP that season. So that explains the numbers drop. The Yankees don’t have the time to see if the dude can get back to who he was in 2017. We do though. 

I guess your right and since he has an option I'd pick him up and let him play the season at AAA. Maybe one of our new pitching guys can help him regain the lost velocity 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

They don't have time to stash him at AAA?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

They don't have time to stash him at AAA?

Not on their 40 man. They’re pretty freaking loaded. 

We’re starting to get to that point in the offseason where teams have dealt with who they needed to protect from the Rule 5. Now the big teams with a lot of 40 man depth are signing FAs and each time they have to DFA a better and better player. 

Edited by sportsfan8703