Buck interviewing for Astros job

Frobby

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

True, but I still think they have some work to do to rebuild the perception of the franchise. I wasn't suggesting Ng as a token hire either. I think she's extremely qualified. 

Oh I think she is qualified as well.  More qualified than most first time GM's in fact.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

She's qualified.  But does a hire like that need to be made in order to prove to the public that changes have been made?  Do you think Ng would want to be hired due to her baseball acumen of because the Astros need to make a social statement/save face?  

For her baseball acumen of course. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think the point some of you are missing is the players who did the cheating aren't gone.  And I don't believe they stopped cheating midway through the 2018 season.  I believe they organized a cover-up among themselves.  

They got zero punishment.  There is no reason to think that they will stop cheating on their own.  Why should they?  They lost a manager.  BFD.  The organization needs someone who won't allow the players to continue to be cheats.  Who isn't under any pressure to prove themselves and is known for honesty.  

The owner could lose his franchise if the team is caught cheating again.   

I know that the Nationals spent their off day of the World Series memorizing rotating signs that went with pitch counts. So I imagine they had reason to believe the same cheaters from 2017 were cheating in 2019. Also Beltran was noted as the Yankees best offseason hire for 2019. By Alex Cora no less.

YES had Buck on for about 8-9 minutes a couple days ago.

The bittersweet quote that had me just about laughing out loud when the interviewer asked if the draft pick penalties were harsh enough went something like, as Buck was minimizing a bit, "well, there are things you can reallocate from other departments to make yourself well".

Here's to the 2023 Astros resembling the 2018 Orioles!

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not strictly Orioles-related, but since we’re discussing the Astros’ situation on this board, this certainly seemed like fair game.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28495642/source-astros-interview-buck-showalter-managerial-vacancy

Buck seems a little Old School for the Astros, but maybe that’s a good antidote for their current situation and perhaps Buck can learn some new tricks in an organization that has a very strong analytical bent.   

It would help to restore some of Houston's lost respectability as well. Buck's as straight an arrow as there is in the game. And if the Stros can't use him the Mets can.

Edited by El Gordo

7 hours ago, weams said:

I know that the Nationals spent their off day of the World Series memorizing rotating signs that went with pitch counts. So I imagine they had reason to believe the same cheaters from 2017 were cheating in 2019. Also Beltran was noted as the Yankees best offseason hire for 2019. By Alex Cora no less.

Yeah they are full of it when they said they stopped in 2018 as it wasn’t helping.  The commissioner blew this whole thing.  The whole thing is never going to end.  Reporters love this stuff.  They are going to bring it up everyday.

I hope he gets it.  One thing's for certain, Buck will run a clean and tight ship.  That would be a smart hire by Crane to change the culture and image of the team.  If they win, they'll have earned it.  I'd love to see Buck get a ring.

21 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

It may not be the thread, but is there a chance Elias knew something?

How could he not have known? Every other team in baseball knew, yet someone working for the team did not know?  That is the BS of the report that Lunhow says he didn't know about it.  Yet he got emails about it and he was the GM.  

Also more seriously other teams have accused the Astro's of changing the settings on Trackman when some of their minor league pitchers were pitching to make it appear like they had higher spin rate.   More chance that he was involved in that.