Hot Stove Talk Thursday in York Pa

weams

Former Orioles pitcher and current analyst Dave Johnson special guest at annual Hot Stove Talk

Dave Johnson, a Baltimore native who etched his name into Orioles’ lore with his strong pitching performances as a rookie in the club’s unforgettable ‘Why Not?’ season in 1989, will be the featured guest at Zion Lutheran Church’s 10th annual Hot Stove Baseball Talk on Thursday, Jan. 23 at 7 p.m. in the church’s sanctuary, 2215 Brandywine Lane, York.
Johnson, a former truck driver who was never drafted, spent parts of five seasons in the majors with the Orioles, Pittsburgh Pirates and Detroit Tigers. He led the Orioles with 13 wins in 1990, but is best known for his signature performance on Sept. 30, 1989, when he made a surprise start on the penultimate day of the season. The 29-year-old rookie held the mighty Toronto Blue Jays to two hits and two runs in seven splendid innings in a legendary battle the Orioles ultimately lost, effectively ending their playoff hopes in a magical season. Johnson is now a color analyst for MASN and for Orioles’ radio broadcasts. 
Also speaking at the event will be Dan Connolly, senior writer for The Athletic Baltimore and host of “The Baltimore Baseball Show,” on WOYK, 1350. The panelists will present their thoughts on Major League Baseball and will answer questions from the audience. 
There is no admission fee for the event, but a freewill offering will be taken to assist the church’s youth ministry in fundraising for the 2021 National Youth Gathering in Minneapolis. For more information, contact the church at 717-767-4673.

Basic info:
What: 10th Annual Hot Stove Baseball Talk
When: Thursday, Jan. 23, 2019 at 7 p.m.
Where: Zion Lutheran Church’s sanctuary, 2215 Brandywine Lane, York
Who: TV and radio baseball analyst and former Orioles pitcher Dave Johnson as well as The Athletic Baltimore’s senior baseball writer Dan Connolly
Why: To talk baseball in January and to do it for a good cause – a freewill offering will be taken to benefit the church’s youth ministry program

One-line blurb:
Zion Lutheran’s 10th Annual Hot Stove Talk is Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 7 p.m., featuring ex-Oriole pitcher and MASN analyst Dave Johnson and The Athletic’s Dan Connolly. For more information, contact the church at 717-767-4673.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

This sounds awesome. If I could, I would fly out and make a long weekend out of it. I think I went to a wedding at that church once. All the Gettysburg side of the family has moved away, but I could probably get my cousin in Philly to hang with me.

We left for Florida to beat the storm but my 86 year old dad will be glad to hang with you.