Beckham returning?

Sir_Loin

22 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Anyway, I'm done writing about Beckham. Any news Roch breaks from unnamed sources get filed in the wild speculation folder. I already invested way too much time in thinking about something that will probably never happen. 

Yeah, that Roch Kubatko, he’s known for going out on limbs and sticking his neck out.

Tim Beckham must’ve hurt someone’s fantasy baseball team or something. Cost them a W for a night or week. 

42 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah, that Roch Kubatko, he’s known for going out on limbs and sticking his neck out.

Tim Beckham must’ve hurt someone’s fantasy baseball team or something. Cost them a W for a night or week. 

I just don’t see the value of Beckham even on a MiLB deal. The only position you can play him his in the outfield if you claim to care about infield defense.

With the options the Orioles have in the outfield now, the younger players need to be given a chance. I suppose Beckham could also be a 1B/DH, but the Orioles have better options to turn to first. 

On 1/25/2020 at 8:46 AM, Camden_yardbird said:

The same could have been said about Danny Santana (career negative wRC+) going into last year.

Beckham is a terrible fielder AND was suspended twice for drug use. Marijuana first and now PEDs. You add those together and the means doesn't justify the end. Not in a clubhouse that will soon be filled with young, easily influenced prospects. Even if you believe that Beckham's turned things around and gotten his sh*t together is it really worth the risk that he hasn't? 

57 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Beckham is a terrible fielder AND was suspended twice for drug use. Marijuana first and now PEDs. You add those together and the means doesn't justify the end. Not in a clubhouse that will soon be filled with young, easily influenced prospects. Even if you believe that Beckham's turned things around and gotten his sh*t together is it really worth the risk that he hasn't? 

Let's not pretend that young players aren't dabbling in the devil's lettuce and PEDs without Tim Beckham. 

But no, he's not worth it.  And as I said before, I liked him.  But he doesn't make sense here.  You hit the nail on the head, he's a bad defender.  I'd be more inclined to be ok with him coming back if he was a better defender and could battle it out for utility position but he's not that guy.

4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Your mistake is thinking I want beckham specifically.  This team needs to add a major league player or two.  And not just pitchers.  And preferably on flexible deals.

• 2 weeks later...

Bullet dodged! And this thread is exhibit B for those who don't think OH posters just suggest signing players because they have a history with the team (i.e., they know the name). Even a PED suspension didn't deter many from advocating giving Beckham a second look. 

Padres signed INF Gordon Beckham to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Beckham posted a weak .215/.271/.372 batting line over 240 plate appearances with the Tigers last season. The 33-year-old will try to impress in the spring, but he's unlikely to see a similar workload this year regardless of where he plays.

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Bullet dodged! And this thread is exhibit B for those who don't think OH posters just suggest signing players because they have a history with the team (i.e., they know the name). Even a PED suspension didn't deter many from advocating giving Beckham a second look. 

Padres signed INF Gordon Beckham to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Beckham posted a weak .215/.271/.372 batting line over 240 plate appearances with the Tigers last season. The 33-year-old will try to impress in the spring, but he's unlikely to see a similar workload this year regardless of where he plays.

Different Beckham.