Beckham returning?

Sir_Loin

52 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Beckham on a minor league deal or Holt for $5 million...seems like a no brainer.

For those wondering why.  Because injuries happen, because Ruiz doesnt work out, because Alberto realizes hes alberto...and mostly because you need to protect your prospects from having to come up and play to early.

The point isn’t that we need somebody, nobody disagrees with that, the argument is whether we need Beckham himself, and I vote with the crowd that says it doesn’t really matter either way, but I also vote with the crowd that says let’s find somebody else.

Everyone got mad at letting Villar go, but also hates the idea of a fairly talented and young-ish middle infielder on a minor league deal with a similar speed/power/bad defense skillset as Villar. Not saying he's anywhere as good as Villar, but that's why he's available on a minor league deal. 

He's never dipped into a negative WAR aside from his rookie season.

He also plays the outfield and is objectively a better offensive threat than Stevie Wilkerson by FAR.

There's some stuff to like here, especially when you already have the makings of a good defensive MI with Iglesias and Alberto. 

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, interloper said:

Everyone got mad at letting Villar go, but also hates the idea of a fairly talented and young-ish middle infielder on a minor league deal with a similar speed/power/bad defense skillset as Villar. Not saying he's anywhere as good as Villar, but that's why he's available on a minor league deal. 

He's never dipped into a negative WAR aside from his rookie season.

He also plays the outfield and is objectively a better offensive threat than Stevie Wilkerson by FAR.

There's some stuff to like here, especially when you already have the makings of a good defensive MI with Iglesias and Alberto. 

It seems like Urena and Wilkerson are penciled in for bench spots, but those two spots could easily go to Beckham and Mason Williams.  Beckham could be the UTIL IF, and Williams would be the 4th OF/LF vs LHP.  

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Beckham on a minor league deal or Holt for $5 million...seems like a no brainer.

For those wondering why.  Because injuries happen, because Ruiz doesnt work out, because Alberto realizes hes alberto...and mostly because you need to protect your prospects from having to come up and play to early.

Holt would be such a bad idea. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, weams said:

Holt would be such a bad idea. 

Holt tallied only 0.6 bWAR more than Beckham last year in about the same amount of ABs, and yet his price will be quadruple Beckham's, if not more. 

Granted, Beckham is suspended for a bit, but. Yeah Holt would be a bad use of funds.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I am not sure which side you are on here.  I would rather pay Holt.

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Exactly.  This team will be terrible.  So why rush a potential prospect like McCoy?  

McCoy isn’t really a prospect IMO.     He’s a decent fielding SS who would be lucky to OPS .600 in the majors, whether it’s in 2020 or in any other year.   He’s about as much of a prospect as Brandon Fahey was.   OK, maybe a smidge better than that, but not much.   

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's on the side of signing a much less risky player who is younger and similar in talent level, than overpaying for a meh player like Holt. Meh players should be minor league deals.

I think Holt is worth a couple of million, but not to the Orioles.    He could be valuable on the right team.   

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Exactly.  This team will be terrible.  So why rush a potential prospect like McCoy?  

If we're thinking of McCoy as some kind of potential answer, we got bigger problems than I thought - and I already think we have ginormous problems.