MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

4 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

A little thought exercise.  Seven NBA players have tested positive.  There are, let’s say, 450 NBA players.  That’s 1.5%.  Now apply that to the entire population.  5000ish positive cases.  Yeah right.  Also three guys were asymptomatic.  They were able to get tests?

The Utah Jazz p[ayer that got sick initially led to all the Jazz and Thunder players beiing tested in Oklahoma City that next day (which, by the way, used up half the tests available in the entire state of Oklahoma at that time).

Then they started to go back and test teams that had recently played the Jazz.   But looking at the schedule I don't see the Nets as a recent Jazz opponent.   So that's not how they wound up getting the test.   So it's a good question how they got tests.   Maybe the one who was symptomatic got one and when he tested positive his teammates got tested?

6 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

A little thought exercise.  Seven NBA players have tested positive.  There are, let’s say, 450 NBA players.  That’s 1.5%.  Now apply that to the entire population.  5000ish positive cases.  Yeah right.  Also three guys were asymptomatic.  They were able to get tests?

If you are making millions of dollars a year they will give you a test. When the Jazz players got the virus Utah used over half its tests on Jazz players and employees.  Meanwhile someone with 104 degree fever and coughing out a lung is not tested. 

10 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I don't think NBA players are a good representation of the population at large.

Just now, atomic said:

Also 1500 people tested positive today in the US with the limited testing we have done.  Soon this is really going to hit the fan.  Has Florida even cancelled their primary today?  If not they are nuts.  

Florida had their primary.  They had issues finding staffing.  On the bright side it's a closed primary State so it wasn't that large a percentage of the population.

Governor Hogan:

“We don’t have enough test kits. Neither does any other state. And no, the federal government does not have an answer,” he said.

When testing does ramp up, Maryland plans to repurpose its vehicle emission inspection locations — which Hogan ordered closed — into drive-through coronavirus testing centers across the state.

But Hogan cautioned against reading too much into that development: “Ramping up the drive-throughs is a relatively easy part; we can do that,” he said. “But we don’t want to do it if we can’t get the lab capability because we’re just giving false hope and creating chaos and crisis.”

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

The Utah Jazz p[ayer that got sick initially led to all the Jazz and Thunder players beiing tested in Oklahoma City that next day (which, by the way, used up half the tests available in the entire state of Oklahoma at that time).

Then they started to go back and test teams that had recently played the Jazz.   But looking at the schedule I don't see the Nets as a recent Jazz opponent.   So that's not how they wound up getting the test.   So it's a good question how they got tests.   Maybe the one who was symptomatic got one and when he tested positive his teammates got tested?

The Nets paid a "private company" to test the players. Must be nice.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28917855/four-nets-players-test-positive-coronavirus

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

Indeed.  Which raises an obvious question.  How do "private companies" get tests/access to labs, etc. if theres a critical shortage nationwide?

Plenty of PCR machines running idle or used for other purposes.  Think 23andme.  US government hasn't taken the step of requestioning them yet.   I think at least they need to suspend government-funded biomed research and repurpose it towards testing.  I worked in a research lab for many years that should be able to carry out these tests.

4 hours ago, backwardsk said:

The entire population of the US? That's 5 million. Not 5,000.

52 minutes ago, scOtt said:

The entire population of the US? That's 5 million. Not 5,000.

Right.  There are only 5000 confirmed cases (as of earlier today).  There is a significant under reporting because a) lack of testing for people with symptoms and b) lack of testing for people without symptoms.  

37 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Right.  There are only 5000 confirmed cases (as of earlier today).  There is a significant under reporting because a) lack of testing for people with symptoms and b) lack of testing for people without symptoms.  

Ok. Figured you were better at math than that. ?

And yes, lack of test kits themselves. Or facilities to do the tests... or personnel. Not being political, just practical, pretty pathetic response!

I ran a bunch of errands today. Got some BOGO deals at CVS drug store - probiotic, Pepto, naprox sodium, got beer, got Powerball tickets, got tobacco and tubes, got a couple things at the grocery store - NO TP/paper towels/Kleenex to be found! :rolleyes:, got corned beef and cabbage at the local restaurant (was TO DIE FOR!!! I got two!) All those at different places.

My routine... get in car, drive to CVS, put on latex gloves (nitrile), go in store, get stuff, self-checkout (!), walk outside. Take off gloves inside-out, open door get in car, put gloves in bag I brought along - wipe hands on wet paper towel with anti-bacterial I brought along, wipe Debit card with anti-bacterial I brought along... Go to next store. Repeat 6 times. If I'd had a mask I would have worn it. I held my breath if I passed close to anyone... Saw one lady with a mask, several/many people with gloves.

Washed my hands and face real good with anti-bac before I left and after I got home. Overkill maybe. But you can't be too careful. Especially when you're 57 years old and smoked for 45... :noidea: