Talk about YOUR baseball "career"

Tony-OH

Obviously everyone on the Hangout is a baseball fan, and I know some have played up to the minor leagues, but I thought it would be interesting to hear about everyone's baseball "careers". Did you stop in Little League, JV, high School, college, pros? Did you play men's baseball as an adult? What were your top moments that you can remember?

• Upvote 2

One day in 2010, I held down the middle innings of a no-hitter in Doubleday Field in Coopstown. The son (Clark) who started the game and his father (George) who finished it were infinitely more talented. I believe the only walk allowed was mine. I’m so happy I didn’t spoil a great family achievement for them!

• Upvote 2

I only played through 7th grade.    The highlight of my career was the first game that season.   I was playing LF and batting 9th, clearly the worst hitter in our starting lineup and grateful I’d been named a starter.    The opposing pitcher retired our first 8 hitters and then I came up.    The count quickly got to 0-2, but on the next pitch I got plunked on the arm and that ignited a big rally in a game we eventually won.    Yep, that HBP was the highlight of my pathetic baseball career.    I did get a couple of hits but batted well under .200 and eventually lost my starting spot.      

Here’s a thread from a couple years ago where I ran a poll on how high a level of baseball OHers had played: 

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33600-what-was-the-highest-level-of-baseball-that-you-played/&tab=comments#comment-2400593

• Upvote 1

Baseball was my worst sport. Growing up in a small town you pretty much had to play every sport (heck, I played in the marching band during the halftime of games in my football uniform). Baseball was my favorite when I was young, but when I was 12 I was hit by a pitch in the face and had to have major reconstructive surgery.  I was a decent player, but never felt comfortable in the box after the injury and had vision issues due to the injury.  Biggest achievement was hitting a bases loaded double off the wall when I was 14 to seal the state championship.  Kept playing for a couple more years but really didn't have much passion for the game.  Right after I stopped I hit a growth spurt and put on probably 30lbs of muscle and developed into a really good athlete (played football and ran track in college).  Now that I'm older baseball is the only sport I really follow closely.  The intracasies of the game that I didn't understand back then now fascinate me.

Sometimes I wonder what I could have accomplished had I put the time and effort into baseball that I did other sports.   I probably would have had enough raw athleticism to play in college, but not enough skill and consistency with the bat to do anything beyond that.

• Upvote 1

High school, American Legion, college...small time,  not good with breaking pitches, went to med school instead...better idea...lol.   A guy on my high school team was drafted by Indians as a pitcher but arm troubles arose and he  never made it past A ball.  Jim Spencer, Angel, Ranger, White Sox, Yankee  was a first round pick out of my high school about 10 years before me, but used to come back, give clinics, tips...

Although the real success out of my high school was our senior class president, Montel Williams...lol. 

• Upvote 1

I started off as a pitcher and was going to break every record in the book. Some crazy chick shot me, not really sure why....I don't really like to talk about it. I was thinking about making a comeback but, you know, coronavirus. 

My real truth is that I couldn't hit a lick but I had a fantastic curveball that I learned at a baseball camp that had Mike Flanagan and Tippy Martinez. I used Mike's grip with McGregor's windup. Then I screwed up my rotator cuff for life. Listen up kids....stick to fastballs! I only came to realize in the last five years that a neglected & screwed up rotator cuff becomes worse when you get older. I shoulda been a farmer.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I only played through 7th grade.    The highlight of my career was the first game that season.   I was playing LF and batting 9th, clearly the worst hitter in our starting lineup and grateful I’d been named a starter.    The opposing pitcher retired our first 8 hitters and then I came up.    The count quickly got to 0-2, but on the next pitch I got plunked on the arm and that ignited a big rally in a game we eventually won.    Yep, that HBP was the highlight of my pathetic baseball career.    I did get a couple of hits but batted well under .200 and eventually lost my starting spot.      

Here’s a thread from a couple years ago where I ran a poll on how high a level of baseball OHers had played: 

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33600-what-was-the-highest-level-of-baseball-that-you-played/&tab=comments#comment-2400593

You are literally Rudi Stein.

You are also a giant buzzkill bringing up an old thread when I'm trying to get some conversations going. :D

I played from Tee Ball all the way through Little League until High School. I had a very good arm and mainly played 3rd, catcher, and pitcher until my last two years when I was moved to second base. As a hitter...I could draw a walk and was decent at stealing, but teams weren’t exactly scared of my hitting. Defense was my highlight. Guess Wynns and I are similar.

Gave up baseball to play football in High School.

Highlights in Little League were playing against other kids I was in school with who were always talking trash when I would catch and not a single one of them successfully stole a base against me, or one of my teammates and I being the backbone of the team one season. I could hit that season and one of us would pitch the first 4 innings and the other would pitch the last 3, while the other caught. Ended up winning our “level” championship that year and we had the best record in the entire league.

I still throw when I can and actually won a Manny Machado autograph ball at Aberdeen during “Launch A Ball” by getting the tennis ball in the bucket on the pitchers mound from the stands on the first base side.

• Upvote 3

Best player I played against was Jimmy Rollins.  He’s the only one I know of that played in the MLB.  Played against a couple of other guys who played in the NFL.  One guy hit a homerun off me in American Legion, he had been drafted by the Twins the week before.  

• Upvote 2

I played from age 5 through high school.  I tried out as a walk-on in college but quite because I knew with practicing twice a week I wasn't going to make it as a student... and likewise, I knew I didn't have a future in professional baseball (as hard as that was for me to admit).  

While my Dad was stationed in Germany I made the K-Town (Kaiserslautern) All Star Team during my sophomore year.  I was primarily a catcher but got called on to pitch occasionally because I could thrown hard.  I also had a kind of "knuckle slurve" that worked as an off speed pitch with a little movement.  As a K-Town all star I pitched in the Senior League European championships where we came within a game of going back to the states to participate in the Little League World Series tournament.  The got the win in a game (against SHAPE if I remember correctly, Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe).  In seven innings I allowed 7 hits, KO'd 7 and walked 3.  

When I got back to the states I played on my high school team as a catcher.  I started the first game of the season.  The first batter got on base and tried to steal and I threw him out.  The second batter got on base and I threw him out.  That was pretty much the highlight of my high school career.  The St. Louis Cardinals organization sent a scout to watch me play - I still have the letter - but alas, nothing ever came of it. 

In graduate school I played in two softball leagues.  One was the SMSNMW League - aka "Saturday Morning Softball No Matter What." My biggest contribution to that league (I was one of the founding members) was the creation of the coveted "Havens Award" named after Bruce Havens - a utility player on our team who had a knack for making the simplest play look spectacular.  The award (a lucite figure of a baseball player I found in a thrift store to which I glued a picture of Bruce's face) was awarded after each game to the player who had made the most "Havens' like play" of the game. The name of each winner was recorded in a notebook.  The league, and the award, live on to this day.  

• Upvote 2

I've recounted this in bits and pieces in other threads, but I'll do it again:

- Played countless backyard, street, and sandlot games as a kid.  Often one-on-one, two-on-two, and sometimes one-on-one with an all-time pitcher.  I kept stats on graph paper that I posted on the fridge.  I hit .951 with 120 homers in 1982.

- Went 8-for-10 in my Little League career.  Someone outed me for being three weeks too old and I got kicked out of the league, even though I was the smallest player on the team.  Stole a base off two of my buddies who went on to play high school ball.  All of my hits were line drives up the middle.  Played some shortstop, as well as first base as I was the only player on the team who could dig a short-hop ball out of the dirt.

- Played a bit of backyard whiffle ball.  I had a ridiculous slider that broke 10' and was totally unhittable.  Which also contributed to my (assumed) torn rotator cuff.

- Played church and Pax River intermural softball from roughly 1990 through 2006.  Started off as a shortstop/center fielder.  I had little power but got on base constantly and was really fast, I often led off.  Most of my hits went right through the pitcher's box.  Managed my Pax River team for a few years.  I've long had problems with my right arm/shoulder, and at some point it got painful enough that I shifted to the outfield full time and my last year I played left-handed.

When my oldest was on the way my wife told me I couldn't play sports five days a week, which was completely reasonable.  So I dropped softball and just played indoor soccer.  I've only played a handful of softball games since*.  My youngest played a few seasons of T-ball, my oldest then took 18 months off from soccer to play baseball.  But both have been back to soccer full-time for about three years.  They're both my kids, small and really fast/quick, so their skill set suits soccer better.  My oldest's baseball career involved a lot of pounding the ball into the ground towards third and beating the throw to first.

* Had a work softball game a few years ago where I had a side bet with another branch head.  His team won, so somewhere there exists a picture of me in an ARod Yanks jersey.  And I have a Yanks' hat signed by the other branch to remind me of my dishonor.

• Upvote 2