Undrafted Free Agent SIgnings?

Philip

So five rounds, plus some compensation rounds means every team gets to pick six or seven players.

instead of about 15-18 players.

I’m sure I missed it being discussed earlier, because I haven’t been focusing much on baseball for obvious reasons, but what happens to all those other guys? Are they just free to sign with anybody they want? For anything they want?

If they are high school guys, of course they’re going to go to college, if they’re already in college, of course they’re going to go back to college, but what about all the college seniors who could reasonably have been expected to be chosen in the Trey Mancini rounds? 

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

So five rounds, plus some compensation rounds means every team gets to pick six or seven players.

instead of about 15-18 players.

I’m sure I missed it being discussed earlier, because I haven’t been focusing much on baseball for obvious reasons, but what happens to all those other guys? Are they just free to sign with anybody they want? For anything they want?

If they are high school guys, of course they’re going to go to college, if they’re already in college, of course they’re going to go back to college, but what about all the college seniors who could reasonably have been expected to be chosen in the Trey Mancini rounds? 

Anyone they want, but I think it's for a max of $10k.

Unless they go another route.  For $12k the Chunichi Dragons, LG Twins, and even Long Island Ducks start to look viable.

We should be in good shape here compared to other teams considering how bad we are but once again how many kids are going to want to sign for 20k? Many kids can go the JuCo route next year and can be drafted next year.  

Can sign a bunch of college seniors. My guess we go after arms and middle infielder types. 

30 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

You mean instead of 40+ players? or am I reading this tweet wrong

Oh yes, and a 40 round draft would be about 40+ players, yes you’re correct I just put down the wrong number. 

But that just makes the question more significant, because 30 teams times 25 players who are now not getting drafted is 750 kids.

edit: Whoops, bad math again. That’s 30 teams times 33 players who are no longer being drafted.Whoops, bad math again. That’s 30 teams times 33 players who are no longer being drafted.

Edited by Philip

There has to be a lot of sad college seniors (and juniors) out there. 20K??? Teams sign kids in the Caribbean 20 to 50 times that amount, with little chance of making it. 20K??? For kids with six years more of a track record?? I am sure there are some "nuggets" out there, but for 20K, he'd have to think long and hard about it.

2 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

There has to be a lot of sad college seniors (and juniors) out there. 20K??? Teams sign kids in the Caribbean 20 to 50 times that amount, with little chance of making it. 20K??? For kids with six years more of a track record?? I am sure there are some "nuggets" out there, but for 20K, he'd have to think long and hard about it.

I want to see if any undrafted players get better offers from foreign leagues or even indy leagues.  Even an Atlantic League team might be able to swing $25k.

9 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

A third the draftees in a 40 round draft we’re in the 20k range

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, weams said:

A third the draftees in a 40 round draft we’re in the 20k range

So, rounds 37-40. I'm not talking about those guys. Rounds 6-36....31 rounds, 900 plus players. Right now, the 151st best college or HS players can't be signed for more that 10 or 20K. You don't think that is a rough reality for the dream?? Hours of workouts, $$$$$$ spent, travel, etc. 

• Upvote 1