O's Future Shortstop Ratings Comparison

wildcard

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We have some options now at SS. It’s an area that we’ve spent a lot of draft capital on for the good and bad over the last three drafts. Hernaiz is the one guy for me that could really be a game changer for our rebuild. 

Hernaz's arm is only rated average.    But I have not seen him play.

• Upvote 1

Don't count Gunnar out at SS.  Even if he does grow a bit, all the film on him at SS tell me he could be at least league average there one day.  Good arm, smoother for a taller, lankier guy, and his catch to throw transition is fairly quick.  Seems like a heady guy too, so he probably has the baseball IQ and leadership potential to stay in the middle too. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Where is Francisco Lindor on the scale? He's the guy I want :)

FA in '22. It is possible we are seeing Rutschman and Gray Rod by that point. Davis would still have a year of money owed but will be thankfully off the books after that. Aside from Davis, payroll will be a shoestring budget where we could perhaps compete in the market for once. 

The last thing we want is to finish one stupid long term contract and write another one. The best thing this team can possibly do is draft wisely so we don’t have to worry about signing a guy who has just given his best six years to some other team.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They will probably give him a few seasons before they moved him.  I think that's the general course of action.  I think he's got a better shot to stick at Short than Mountcastle had.

That's not saying a ton as Mountcastle should have never been allowed to play SS professionally with that arm action and lack of strength. Still, I agree and although he sounds like he'll be better fit at 3B, I think they will give him a chance to stay at SS for bit.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Hernaz's arm is only rated average.    But I have not seen him play.

Just thought I’d post the OH tool grades (current/future) for each of Henderson, Hernaiz and Hall, respectively:

Hit:  30/50, 30/50, 30/50

Game Power:  30/50, 30/45, 30/40

Raw Power: 55/60, 40/50, 30/40

Speed: 50/50, 65/65, 60/60

Field: 45/50, 50/55, 45/50

Arm: 60/60, 45/45, 45/45

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Have you watched Grenier?  What grades would be give him?   I know there is concern about whether he will hit in the majors but he is a fielding first SS from what I have heard.

I agree with @DirtyBird. He was drafted as a glove first guy, and then according to what I’ve read, his glove wasn’t very good either.

Edited by Philip

I don't know anything about these rankings, I've only ever seen Martin play. Servideo sounds interesting tho. In Roch's column today he quoted Frederick hitting coach Tom Eller just gushing over him. I also saw a short part of an interview on like MLB network or something, interview of another Head Coach in the SEC who saw Servideo a lot and talked him up a good bit. They both talked about how "toolsy" he is.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/06/eller-on-servideo-hes-got-every-tool-you-can-think-of.html

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I don't know anything about these rankings, I've only ever seen Martin play. Servideo sounds interesting tho. In Roch's column today he quoted Frederick hitting coach Tom Eller just gushing over him. I also saw a short part of an interview on like MLB network or something, interview of another Head Coach in the SEC who saw Servideo a lot and talked him up a good bit. They both talked about how "toolsy" he is.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/06/eller-on-servideo-hes-got-every-tool-you-can-think-of.html

Seems like it's arguable to say that in the 17 games he played this year (small sample size as it is), that Servideo was the MVP of college baseball this season.  And probably the most improved.  But we shall see if that improvement was for real or not.  Eller sure seems to think he's for real.  

1 hour ago, Philip said:

The last thing we want is to finish one stupid long term contract and write another one. The best thing this team can possibly do is draft wisely so we don’t have to worry about signing a guy who has just given his best six years to some other team.

Lindor is the type of guy that probably would be worth the contract.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

21 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Well I personally think so few people are worth the risk it’s best to avoid them entirely, but my point was that it’s best to draft and not trade.

Grow the Team, Buy the SS.

It will be gravy if a current Oriole really blossoms as a SS, and I do hope the best Rutschman teams get their 3B and 2B out of guys currently in the organization.

We are 15 months out from the pending free agencies of Lindor, Story, Baez, Correa and Seager.  Also Kris Bryant and Nolan Arenado opting-out if Gunnar or Westburg must stick at SS, which Arenado especially could enable.

Saying a developing Orioles team shouldn't try for Lindor would be like if the Nationals didn't try for Scherzer to supplement the Stras/Harper/Rendon teams.

I think I think the Rutschman Orioles of 2022 on are already a better spot for all those guys to spend their late primes than their current teams.  Except the Dodgers of course, but the kicker there is Seager won't be good enough for them by then (just as Justin Turner might not be good enough for them in 2021...)  #JaysonWerthOverPayButShortTerm

The relentless-est optimist: Today +6 months Turner, +12 Kumar, +18 Lindor and +24 a Father's Day present of Rocker's Strasburg-ian debut amid Trey really getting his strength back.

Father's Day '22:

SS Lindor, 3B Turner, C Rutschman, DH Mancini, 1B Mountcastle, RF Kjerstad, CF Hays, LF Yusniel, 2B Growth Mindset champ, with rotation by order of MLB debut Means, Baumann, Hall, Rodriguez, Rocker.

Xander, Gleyber, Wander - come at me.  Austin Martin...pshaw.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/16/2020 at 12:16 PM, Redskins Rick said:

I know this sounds like a debbie downer.

But with these clowns unable to compromise.

There is no worry about picking the wrong SS, because people are quickly losing interest in MLB.

IMO

Geeze, a flipping opinion about the clowns unable to compromise gets down voted.

Sorry, but there is still no deal in place, and while the two sides are finally starting to crawl to the other.

Its not a done deal, yet.

Still a chance for no baseball in 2020.

Now, this is an opinion on how the progress has gone so far.

Its not an opinion, that I want no baseball in 2020.

• Confused 2

On 6/16/2020 at 4:53 PM, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Let's see what the new CBA brings.  Also, Lindor will probably be looking for a contract that pays him like he's a 6-plus win player for the next decade.  Maybe not Harper/Trout/Manny money, but the next tier down.  The kind of deal that a team winces, signs, and just hopes they have 3-4 MVPish seasons on the front end to make the 1- or 2-win/$35M seasons on the back end a little less painful.

I don't know if the Orioles will ever be (or should be) in the position to sign someone else's player for 8/250.

On 6/16/2020 at 9:17 PM, OrioleDog said:

Grow the Team, Buy the SS.

It will be gravy if a current Oriole really blossoms as a SS, and I do hope the best Rutschman teams get their 3B and 2B out of guys currently in the organization.

We are 15 months out from the pending free agencies of Lindor, Story, Baez, Correa and Seager.  Also Kris Bryant and Nolan Arenado opting-out if Gunnar or Westburg must stick at SS, which Arenado especially could enable.

Saying a developing Orioles team shouldn't try for Lindor would be like if the Nationals didn't try for Scherzer to supplement the Stras/Harper/Rendon teams.

I think I think the Rutschman Orioles of 2022 on are already a better spot for all those guys to spend their late primes than their current teams.  Except the Dodgers of course, but the kicker there is Seager won't be good enough for them by then (just as Justin Turner might not be good enough for them in 2021...)  #JaysonWerthOverPayButShortTerm

The relentless-est optimist: Today +6 months Turner, +12 Kumar, +18 Lindor and +24 a Father's Day present of Rocker's Strasburg-ian debut amid Trey really getting his strength back.

Father's Day '22:

SS Lindor, 3B Turner, C Rutschman, DH Mancini, 1B Mountcastle, RF Kjerstad, CF Hays, LF Yusniel, 2B Growth Mindset champ, with rotation by order of MLB debut Means, Baumann, Hall, Rodriguez, Rocker.

Xander, Gleyber, Wander - come at me.  Austin Martin...pshaw.

Correa will be a year younger than Lindor. Might be a better deal if he would come in a bit cheaper, and would reunite Elias with his big pick. I would settle for him! Either way, the future is bright!

Rocker would be amazing. We'd only have to suffer a 60 game season to get him.

The more I see of Servideo, I am intrigued. Maybe he is the 2B.