Poll: Will baseball actually finish the season?

interloper

Will baseball actually finish the season?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Will baseball actually finish the season?

• Yes. A full 60 games plus all playoff games.
    • No. They'll be forced to stop during the season due to re-emergence of COVID/too many positive tests.
    • No and they won't play a single game. July 23rd is a long ways off and cases are spiking again nationwide.

35 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Two ways it can become a REAL PR problem:

1) So many guys in a sport are testing positive and taking two weeks off to quarantine that many teams become shells of what they should be.

Is that the protocol that's been agreed--that a positive test means 14-day quarantine? That doesn't bode well if they're using tests that show papayas are infected. ;) 

7 minutes ago, now said:

Is that the protocol that's been agreed--that a positive test means 14-day quarantine? That doesn't bode well if they're using tests that show papayas are infected. ;) 

I do not know the actual protocol.   I was just guessing.  I know that a 14 day quarantine has been mentioned in relation to a lot of work places.    Someone who tests positive stays away from work for at least 14 days (and also of course there must be a cessation of any symptoms).

I don't know what the sports leagues have decided on.

6 hours ago, atomic said:

This is a lie. 

I think that’s strong language and not really appropriate for a discussion. It may be incorrect, depending on how one defines things, but I highly doubt it is a “lie”

I don’t mind disagreeing with people, and has a moderate to conservative in a wildly liberal profession I find myself doing it a lot. But inflammatory language is never productive

I think if they just play for the experience of having a baseball season and for possibly some TV revenue, without trying to put fans in seats, the season will be able to finish. The players who are there at the end of the season, healthy and playing ball, will  be a roll of the dice; things could go very well or very poorly. They will finish the season unless it gets to the point that so many players are sick on teams that they can't even field a healthy club. Since that seems... unlikely, I predict the season will play out once it starts.

In the worst case, some teams might find themselves fielding a B or C team from the minor leagues, hastily brought up to the majors to fill in gaps. By the way, a great number of those gaps might well be because some players are going to be less fit this season, and far more injury prone. The "fitness nut" players who give it 110% year-round will be fine and ready to play a full season whenever the season starts, but some players do seem to do the minimum, and those guys will be very tired and very rusty even at the end of a 60 game season.

The stakes are so much higher once you involve the general public, so my feeling is that even if the whole League or some teams start allowing fans in the stands, that aspect of the game won't last the season. They'll inevitably end up retreating back to fan-less games. If we're lucky, a few of us could have some rare and unusual tickets to an OPACY game this season -- wouldn't that be crazy?! Even the stubs might be worth money in 20 years.

Anyway, I agree with the folks who say that there's a 50/50 chance the season won't even start. But if it does, there's so much of baseball's reputation, not to mention the satisfaction of the players and the cable networks, built into them actually finishing the season, that I don't think they will be financially able to stop unless ordered to by the government.

On 6/24/2020 at 10:41 AM, Camden_yardbird said:

Nope.  While I think we need something like baseball to pick us up I think far too many people assume that these things will go on without doing the (relatively not so) hard work of social distancing and wearing masks.

What was happening in NY at the beginning to the medical infrastructure, the pictures of over taxed and over worked hospital staff, is still happening, but in places like Houston and Arizona.  And we are very close to seeing some critical medical systems in large cities collapse.

A single player getting it would eliminate a quarter of their season (14 day quarentine in a 60bgame season played in 66 days).  The logistics of this just dont work out.

...and not only them, but probably the whole team and maybe even their opponents in the series where it was diagnosed and maybe the team they played previously.   I've been saying this since March when schools got cancelled.

I agree that any of these scenarios could happen, but I think the likelihood of an infection or two (dozen) is high; which would create a situation where it would make it nearly impossible to continue to keep a schedule.