MLB Worst Defender at every position

Redskins Rick

Lots of names on here, 5 Orioles, but not what I would call long time Orioles, just guys who had a pit stop here on their career travels.

Surprised that Mark Reynolds didnt make the list for his brick hands at 3rd.

They did get SS right and Jeter, in spite of his 5 Gold Gloves, the numbers dont like, his dWAR was atrocious.

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/worst-mlb-defensive-players-ea1694ada4234c8f?utm_campaign=worstmlbdefense-667ed96173c84413&utm_source=tab&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=espnnetwork-espn

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Just trolled a Yankee fan buddy of mine by sending him the screen caps of Jeter, Bernie Williams and Gary Sanchez.  A good way to start the day.

Yeah, I’m sure all the Yankee fans are lamenting the poor defense that Jeter SNS Williams played while they were winning 4 World Series in 5 years.    Really takes the joy out of it, I’ll bet.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I’m sure all the Yankee fans are lamenting the poor defense that Jeter SNS Williams played while they were winning 4 World Series in 5 years.    Really takes the joy out of it, I’ll bet.   

Hey, remember yesterday when I said I wouldn't call you stodgy?

28 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Just trolled a Yankee fan buddy of mine by sending him the screen caps of Jeter, Bernie Williams and Gary Sanchez.  A good way to start the day.

I get Yankee love, but damn, 5 gold gloves is absolutely beyond my imagination for the worst guy to have play the position.

LOL, I was looking at the 1B list and wondering why Adam Dunn wasn’t there.    Then I got to LF:

“In all fairness, Adam Dunn could've made this list at several different positions, we just picked left field because that's where he had the most starts. He also was terrible at first base and in right field.”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

What a horrific article.  If you want to call it that.  If you clicked all the way to the end you deserve some kind of perverse medal for enduring pain for no apparent reason.

And it's interesting to note that there were no terrible defenders prior to about 1995.  Or at least not among the catchers and a few first basemen, which is as far as I got. (In reality almost all of the worst MLB defenders of all time would have played over 100 years ago.)

Also, with any list of worst Major Leaguers there should be a huge caveat: these are the worst defensive players who were allowed to play this position in the major leagues after having been selected as one of the very best overall players in youth baseball, high school, college and the minors.  Except for maybe the guys at first and left field, they were all chosen by their teams to play this position despite the option of moving them down to an easier position or DHing them, meaning that their team's assessment of their abilities was that playing them there was better for the team than doing something else.  The teams that played Ed Taubensee or Ryan Doumit at catcher were doing so because they believed that was the most productive alignment of their teams.

For example, Jason Giambi would have been dozens of runs worse than the worst actual shortstop per season, if he'd been allowed to play shortstop.  Jim Palmer would likely have been the worst fielding second baseman in baseball, far below anyone on this list.  Mark Trumbo is probably a -60 CFer.

I am not going to load 100 pages to see them all. But seems the guy was just using stats to define who is bad.  Defensive stats aren't that accurate.  I would say guys like Mark Reynolds and David Kingman belong on that list. 

I hated the way Kingman would play but he seems the norm of a lot of players these days.  Sad the way the sport has become. 

28 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am not going to load 100 pages to see them all. But seems the guy was just using stats to define who is bad.  Defensive stats aren't that accurate.  I would say guys like Mark Reynolds and David Kingman belong on that list. 

I hated the way Kingman would play but he seems the norm of a lot of players these days.  Sad the way the sport has become. 

100 pages would only get you about 1/4 of the way there I think.  This is the fielding equivalent of the Bobby Bonilla of slide shows.   

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What a horrific article.  If you want to call it that.  If you clicked all the way to the end you deserve some kind of perverse medal for enduring pain for no apparent reason.

And it's interesting to note that there were no terrible defenders prior to about 1995.  Or at least not among the catchers and a few first basemen, which is as far as I got. (In reality almost all of the worst MLB defenders of all time would have played over 100 years ago.)

Also, with any list of worst Major Leaguers there should be a huge caveat: these are the worst defensive players who were allowed to play this position in the major leagues after having been selected as one of the very best overall players in youth baseball, high school, college and the minors.  Except for maybe the guys at first and left field, they were all chosen by their teams to play this position despite the option of moving them down to an easier position or DHing them, meaning that their team's assessment of their abilities was that playing them there was better for the team than doing something else.  The teams that played Ed Taubensee or Ryan Doumit at catcher were doing so because they believed that was the most productive alignment of their teams.

For example, Jason Giambi would have been dozens of runs worse than the worst actual shortstop per season, if he'd been allowed to play shortstop.  Jim Palmer would likely have been the worst fielding second baseman in baseball, far below anyone on this list.  Mark Trumbo is probably a -60 CFer.

My sentiments exactly.  It's glorified click bait you see on every single website in the side bar ads.  I was done after three of four slides, they could have argued Cal on the list and I'd never care because I'm not sitting through it.  Hell I'm expecting it to show up as one of the sides ad on the OH, right below "Alyssa Milano is 108 now and looks totally different."

51 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

My sentiments exactly.  It's glorified click bait you see on every single website in the side bar ads.  I was done after three of four slides, they could have argued Cal on the list and I'd never care because I'm not sitting through it.  Hell I'm expecting it to show up as one of the sides ad on the OH, right below "Alyssa Milano is 108 now and looks totally different."

She is and it's horrible.  For years she's been the Hangout's designated famous hot woman we'd do anything for, and now she's old and if we pick someone younger as her replacement we just look like creepy old men.

• Haha 4