Braves DFA Foltynewicz

Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I doubt they will but I wouldn't mind if they did.  But I'd rather them spend 2 million on a guy like Folty rather than having a revolving door of guys at 600k.  

I want to see Kremer, Zimmerman and maybe Akin.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd want to see them, too, but Folty wouldn't mean you wouldn't be able to see them.  

Guys like Wojo, Eshelman and Hess aren't ML guys. 

Agreed.  At worst, Folty is another Wojo.  Would be worthwhile to at least figure out what went wrong with a formerly solid starting pitcher.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Or maybe if word on the streets is that he's really unhealthy it'd be a good move to stay away.

Right for sure.  I trust Elias to do his due diligence and make sure something more serious than "he/s lost a little velo" is going on.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

The loss of velocity is Tillman-like.  

America is wonderful where everyone can have an opinion.  I was fortunate enough to read one that basically said, “Why does Acuna get chance after chance swinging at everything, but they get rid of Folty?”

That person needs to be forcibly relocated somewhere that they are not allowed to express opinions.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That person needs to be forcibly relocated somewhere that they are not allowed to express opinions.

Why?  He's this year's poster boy for the internet.  Just like last year and the year before, but the competition is getting stiffer.

• Haha 1

Let's hope we get some more definitive answers, because I'm not a fan of speculating that someone has substance abuse issues based solely on weight loss. Could be an injury or an undiagnosed disease, or another number of other things. I hope he gets well soon, and returns to being a solid MLB pitcher. 

The Orioles won't spend the money on him in my opinion. This year is about saving money and getting another high draft pick. I'm rooting for the guys on our team with upside, so if they improve I'm happy. 

5 hours ago, backwardsk said:

America is wonderful where everyone can have an opinion.  I was fortunate enough to read one that basically said, “Why does Acuna get chance after chance swinging at everything, but they get rid of Folty?”

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

4 hours ago, 24fps said:

Why?  He's this year's poster boy for the internet.  Just like last year and the year before, but the competition is getting stiffer.

We had a poster who claimed Machado wasn’t  a major league hitter because he supposedly couldn’t hit a slider 

• Haha 1

The Braves have always been my favorite NL team, so I've followed Folty his entire career.  He's always been inconsistent, but 2 years ago it looked like he broke out into a budding star.  Since then, he's lost at least 5 MPH on his fastball, and his body language has been awful.  What worries me most is the weight loss.  I'd stay away from him - maybe next spring consider giving him a make good minor league contract.  He's still just 28, so there's some hope, but it'll take a minor miracle.  I just hope he's healthy and gets his act back together.  

16 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Fineeeeeeeeeee, we'll take Acuna off their hands.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 10:17 AM, wildcard said:

He will cost 2M in salary.  I don't think the O's will be interested in paying for him.

If the O's are not interested in paying what would likely be one of their top-2/3 starters regardless of the loss in velo than what the hell are we doing here

We're paying Wade LeBlanc 800k to top out at 87 for us, I think we can muster 5th round overslot for Folty throwing 93, especially given the current managements history with pitching resurgence.

17 minutes ago, MountUrCastle said:

If the O's are not interested in paying what would likely be one of their top-2/3 starters regardless of the loss in velo than what the hell are we doing here

We're paying Wade LeBlanc 800k to top out at 87 for us, I think we can muster 5th round overslot for Folty throwing 93, especially given the current managements history with pitching resurgence.

They are paying LeBlanc 297K.   And Folty does not average 93.  He averages 89.   Which makes him very hitable because he does not have the pitches or experience to pitch like LeBlanc.

Do you actually think the Braves let him go because he is good?