Ace added to Orioles 60 man player pool roster, assigned to Bowie

weams

2 hours ago, esmd said:

Any insight into their goal here? Just a developmental thing? I can't imagine they'd call him up, right?

o

They're tied for 2nd place in late July ........ it's all hands on deck.

o

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

For those in the know, does this make it more/less likely that he will a really pitch in the Bigs this season? He can’t possibly, can he??

No, he won't. They just want to give personal instruction to their top prospects to minimize developmental loss time. That is why he, DL Hall and Adley are there.

Unless a player has to go on the 40-man roster at the end of this season anyway, there is a 0.0 percent chance that they will be called up. They aren't going to waste a 40-man roster spot when they don't have to.

• Thanks 1

Is anything wrong with Lowther?  I know he's not a top prospect, but he performed very well in AA last year.  I would like to see him called up sometime this year.  I know a lot of posters question his long term viability as a major league starter, but the only possible long term starter on the O's now is Means, IMO. 

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Is anything wrong with Lowther?  I know he's not a top prospect, but he performed very well in AA last year.  I would like to see him called up sometime this year.  I know a lot of posters question his long term viability as a major league starter, but the only possible long term starter on the O's now is Means, IMO. 

Lowther, Zimmerman and Wells are all players that I think should join the player pool as all three are top 20 prospects who must be added to the 40-man roster this offseason or will be subject to the Rule 5 draft.

None of the three are typical Rule 5 candidates, as they are all soft tossing, low ceiling, high floor, back of the rotation or AAAA types. But there is space for them on the player pool, so I'm not sure why there are there. 

The O's do have Akin, Kremer and Baumann in the player pool and all three are more highly regarded than Lowther, Zimmerman, and Wells, but the O's might as well take advantage of all the space on the player pool so they are working with organizational coaches rather than working out on their own. I don't think any other team has as many open spots as the Orioles do.

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Lowther, Zimmerman and Wells are all players that I think should join the player pool as all three are top 20 prospects who must be added to the 40-man roster this offseason or will be subject to the Rule 5 draft.

None of the three are typical Rule 5 candidates, as they are all soft tossing, low ceiling, high floor, back of the rotation or AAAA types. But there is space for them on the player pool, so I'm not sure why there are there. 

The O's do have Akin, Kremer and Baumann in the player pool and all three are more highly regarded than Lowther, Zimmerman, and Wells, but the O's might as well take advantage of all the space on the player pool so they are working with organizational coaches rather than working out on their own. I don't think any other team has as many open spots as the Orioles do.

I agree with everything there, except I'd put Lowther ahead of Akin.  

8 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

You'll find people who are higher on Lowther than Akin and Kremer (I'm not one of them).  If he is left unprotected I'd be very surprised if he wasn't selected in the Rule 5.  I think all three will be protected personally.