Richard Bleier Traded to Miami

oriolesacox

9 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Look at the blueprint from the Cubs, Astros, Reds and I am sure I am leaving out a few other teams.  Elias from the start has said he is going to do the rebuild right.  He doesn't owe anyone an explanation for trading a 33 year old reliever who had a bloated ERA last year.  He's not going to be a part of the winning team in 2023 onward, so why should it matter?  

For how we did not have a proper farm, development, or analytics system, I will take tanking right now to ensure that those areas are brought up to par with the "good" teams in MLB.  I want a system like the Astros or Dodgers that sustains itself.  I don't want to stink for so long, have 4-5 years of competitive baseball and then be left with a horrible farm so we have to do this all over again.  

There's the problem right there.  You are exactly right...he and most GMs and most of the MLB industry believes exactly that... He doesn't owe the fans anything.     And I don't choose to give them  my attention or my dollars much longer.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

There's the problem right there.  You are exactly right...he and most GMs and most of the MLB industry believes exactly that... He doesn't owe the fans anything.     And I don't choose to give them  my attention or my dollars much longer.  

This is a PTBNL, its not like he's trading Manny Machado here.  I don't know what you are expecting, especially with the goal already being stated to build a sustainable farm and bring the analytics into the 21st century. 

3 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

This is a PTBNL, its not like he's trading Manny Machado here.  I don't know what you are expecting, especially with the goal already being stated to build a sustainable farm and bring the analytics into the 21st century. 

Maybe just a brief announcement..."Here is what we did today, here are the players we are considering in return, and, even though this  is a small piece, it is important to me to keep Orioles fans (the few that remain, lol) actually informed of what our thoughts are, because that is all fans have anymore in this terrible season."  

35 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Who else would it be? Wasn't it supposed to be about six games in that callup doesn't cost service time? 

Definitely need another lefty. Scott is a complete mess out there (did he throw a single FB for a strike last night?) and Fry is very questionable. 

Keep quiet about Scott; lots of apologists will want your head.

14 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Elias owes us a long term plan to get us back to competitive baseball. Our farm system is close to top 10 due to things like trading veterans and thinking about service time. To be honest he would be failing is obligations by not trading Bleier types.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Elias owes us a long term plan to get us back to competitive baseball. Our farm system is close to top 10 due to things like trading veterans and thinking about service time. To be honest he would be failing is obligations by not trading Bleier types.

You spelled picking first and second overall incorrectly.

8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Yes, which is why their industry is thriving. 

So he should be able to put like 6 Marlins minor leaguers on notice that their org wants to trade them? I don’t like that at all. Players generally seem like they don’t like being on the trading block. If it was flipped, I don’t think it’s too good for say Kyle Stowers’ or Darrell Hernaiz’s morale if Derek Jeter announces he’s considering them for some random reliever. 

I liked Bleier because he was a good success story, because he was full of enthusiasm about being here after nine years in the minors. Remember that great “? “I spent nine years in the minors, I am always ready“ or something like that.

He always reminded me of the greeter at church, the smiling man who would welcome you, who had a genuine spirit And radiated kindness. I agree that if you can trade him for anything worthwhile, you make that trade.

I also think the Marlins organization is a complete mess, and it’s quite possible that we got Better value than we might expect.

But I will miss him, I am going to be a little sad for an hour or so.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, section18 said:

Okay ! Why PTBNL in 2 deals? Is it that hard to choose a player? Is it based on how our guy does in the first 30 days?

I think it is the opposite. The teams agree on a list of possible players and then we get to choose which one fits our needs at the time.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, makoman said:

So he should be able to put like 6 Marlins minor leaguers on notice that their org wants to trade them? I don’t like that at all. Players generally seem like they don’t like being on the trading block. If it was flipped, I don’t think it’s too good for say Kyle Stowers’ or Darrell Hernaiz’s morale if Derek Jeter announces he’s considering them for some random reliever. 

This is why it is announced as PTBNL rather than a list of specific guys.